vCash

What's so Great About Figure Skating?

Anyone remember Ryan Jahnke? Apparently he's got an online store for used figure skating stuff, but check out this video he put up as a compilation for a contest he had.

Just a nice, inspiring video about people telling what's so great about figure skating. What do you think is so great about figure skating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTcUq...eature=related

vCash
    Can't watch the video at the moment (at work) but, my standard reply to non-believers is that figure skating is the perfect mix of the sublime and the ridiculous. When its good its beautiful and when its bad its just plain hysterical. (And sometimes the badder it is, the gooder it is!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Can't watch the video at the moment (at work) but, my standard reply to non-believers is that figure skating is the perfect mix of the sublime and the ridiculous. When its good its beautiful and when its bad its just plain hysterical. (And sometimes the badder it is, the gooder it is!)
    Haha, sublime and ridiculous, eh? I'd say that's a pretty good description.

vCash
    It's my escape from reality. Whether I'm doing it, watching it, or reading about it.

vCash
    It's the perfect blend of sport and art. It's a demanding, exacting sport whose intricate, often arcane, rules appeal to my inner nerd. It's a marvelous escape from everyday life. It's also a good way to broaden one's musical horizons. I first heard the music of Raul de Blasio and Bond through figure skating.

vCash
    The cool wind in my face!
    The feeling of accomplishment when you can do something new!

vCash
    The skandals! I'm joking, obviously.

vCash
    Skaters who have moved me to tears with their beautiful performances, like Ryan Jahnke did at Worlds in 2003!

vCash
    All of the above plus...

Makes Winter in Canada bearable!

Grit. Struggling with health issues over a period of a few years, I could look in the faces of skaters and find the will to persevere. I'm thinking primarily of Elvis, who stands out for me for that alone!

Being older,unable to move as a young fit person, I am so grateful that I can lose myself in skaters' performances. I will always love Kurt Browning for being able to make me feel like a 14-yr. old every time he skates!