Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    ^ I think it's all of the above. Puberty and injury are a spin of lady luck's wheel. But today's headcases are perhaps spoiled by choice. I have a hard time believing 15 year old post-crash nat champ and Olympian Fleming had 0 pressure from her federation and not a single person interested in shows, interviews, etc... Some people have a head for the sport, some people don't, and that's not a dig.

vCash
    Yes, but it's not just a head for sport. The choices you mentioned also factor in. Peggy Fleming became a champion in a time just before "women's liberation," when women were less likely to speak up and challenge authority. From her bio, Peggy was very good at doing what Mommy, her coach and her federation told her to do, with no real educational or career aspiriations outside of skating like those that many skaters have today. Same with Dorothy Hamill - I couldn't even tell you if either of them actually graduated from high school (although I would guess they did).

Skaters today have many more options, and professional skating cannot always be counted upon once they leave competition. Different things dance in their heads compared to the ladies of bygone skating day.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Peggy actually attended college for a short time, Colorado College. There is confusion about where she graduated from high school. One source says she graduated from the same high school as Rachael. Another source says she graduated from Hollywood Professional School.

Dorothy Hamill dropped out of Eastern Junior High School (grades 7-9) in Riverside Connecticut. She received private tutoring while pursuing her skating career. It is unclear if she earned a high school diploma.
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-29-2011 at 05:28 PM.

vCash
    thanks Iceman! really enjoyed the article!!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Dorothy Hamill dropped out of Eastern Junior High School (grades 7-9) in Riverside Connecticut. She received private tutoring while pursuing her skating career. It is unclear if she earned a high school diploma.
    IIRC, she has a GED
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    Flatt is a great jumper on the ice but her mad arm flapping needs to go. It takes away from the legs and skating. Her "East od Eden" drives me nuts. One part she skates so fast and not to the music. Get a new choreographer, please.
    We are all so used to the gentility and elegance of East of Eden when Kwan skated to it. Her arms were beautiful. Flatt's picking technique was extremely fugly and distracting, her arms were flailing and she didn't pace or hold onto her moves at all.

I wouldn't deny that it's an improvement on her part but to take on a Kwan masterpiece at her level of artistic maturity is .

She needs to find a new style... she has done cutesy and classical without success and I am not sure if she has the power or excitment to take on more dynamic pieces. Character-driven programs can work but she needs non-boring music (unlike her current LP).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Character-driven programs can work but she needs non-boring music (unlike her current LP).
    I'm not sure that works as long as the character is depicted via hair flipping and cutesy faces.

I hope that a new coach and a new team for next year push her to change a lot of things. Music, choreo and her on-ice persona all need a makeover. She needs one as well and this year's didn't work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Yes, but it's not just a head for sport. The choices you mentioned also factor in. Peggy Fleming became a champion in a time just before "women's liberation," when women were less likely to speak up and challenge authority. From her bio, Peggy was very good at doing what Mommy, her coach and her federation told her to do, with no real educational or career aspiriations outside of skating like those that many skaters have today. Same with Dorothy Hamill - I couldn't even tell you if either of them actually graduated from high school (although I would guess they did).

Skaters today have many more options, and professional skating cannot always be counted upon once they leave competition. Different things dance in their heads compared to the ladies of bygone skating day.
    Yes, I agree. But I also think that's just Fleming and Hamil doing what they wanted to do: skate. Regardless of the increased sexism and more limited choices for women at the time, Fleming and Hamil had competitive heads that skaters like Meisner, Nagasu and Alissa can only dream of having. As much as I love love love Lynn, Peace+Love is like the official headcase autobio.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234