Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Thanks! Actually, my sister regularly trims the cat's claws, but she's still pulling apart the wood. I am looking for ideas to cover the wood and protect it.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Giggling here - as soon as I opened this thread, Ember the wonder kitten jumped on my arm and stared at the computer screen. She knows!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    We got the younger cat as a tiny kitten and she got into EVERYTHING. Luckily she was smart enough not to chew cords, since I had a ton of cords lying around. Mostly we just made sure we didn't have a lot of things teetering on shelves and I have to add to the advice to hide anything stringlike. Or heck, anything that hangs down and can be batted. Clothing sleeves in your closet count!

The kitten was also a nice kitten by not eating anything that's not edible, even if it's small. Which is good because my roommate sometimes leaves around buttons and twisty ties and I found her chewing one of my stitch markers once. She DOES have a habit of drinking water out of any container though, even if it's dirty water for rinsing brushes. That happened just last week and I heard her take a few slurps before I was like, "NO!" and got her off my table and changed out the water. Yeesh, cat!

My friend had cats she got as kittens and her roommate drove her nuts by leaving knives lying around exposed on the kitchen counter. If your friend is apt to do that, tell her not to do that. But I never do that due to my own klutziness so it wasn't an issue for me. I also always keep the toilet lid down so that wasn't an issue for me either.

The fact that she's getting two kittens might help, because they'll play with each other instead of trying to get your attention by getting into things. Or maybe it'll be worse, probably depends on the cats.

Otherwise, you'd be really surprised at how resilient those tiny creatures are. A few times our kitten would launch herself off the back of the couch directly into the wall, fall the 4 feet to the floor, and came out none the worse for wear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on protecting doors from kitty scratching? We have two cats that we must keep separated. My cat is fine (she's the one inside the large master suite), but the other cat tries to get into the room and has scratched up the bottom of the doorjam - literally scratched the wood apart. We are moving soon and do not want damage at our next home.

I'm thinking there must be something we can attach to the doorjam and bottom of the door to protect it from her scratching. But I'm stumped as to what we can use. Any ideas are welcome.
    You can get plexiglass strips at the hardware store. Have them cut to the dimensions you need and attach them with wood screws.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Thank you! That will be great for the door. I'll need to figure out something for the doorway too. She picks apart the bottom of that more than the door itself. If only she'd play nice, I could leave the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    You can get plexiglass strips at the hardware store. Have them cut to the dimensions you need and attach them with wood screws.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Giggling here - as soon as I opened this thread, Ember the wonder kitten jumped on my arm and stared at the computer screen. She knows!!
    's ALWAYS know!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    Thank you! That will be great for the door. I'll need to figure out something for the doorway too. She picks apart the bottom of that more than the door itself. If only she'd play nice, I could leave the two together.
    You can get the plexiglass cut to fit that too perhaps? I'm sure it could be relatively thin. Another thing you can find for a door is of course the brass kick-plate. Though those are usually mounted on exterior doors they should work and might come in the right size and with mounting gear.

I had forgotten about my cat getting inside the sofas. So far she has only managed this with our old and replacement sofa beds. Every once in a long while she will disappear for hours and that is one place she might be. I always get worried in case she snuck outside somehow. Because we live on a mega-busy highway and she has no car sense we don't let her out. Besides she has a perfectly good full-window sun room for all the fresh air she needs.

I forgot to mention on the chewing front that picture frames are another favourite target. I defy anyone to predict that kind of munching - just to show you cannot possibly be pre-prepared for everything.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    And electrical cords- bundle them up as neatly as possible and hide them behind objects where possible.
    And unplug what you don't need plugged in. My friend's kitten is a cord freak - he has chewed through several phone chargers, her laptop charger, and her laptop cooler cord. Fortunately, not plugged in.

And it is not just kittens. My cat is 12 years old, and she has just discovered electric cords. She never paid a lick of attention to them before and now she is circling all the lamps trying to get at the cord. This started when my husband started leaving his phone plugged in on his bedside table (instead of on the dresser), and she discovered it was a neat toy. Now she knows about electric cords.

Also, tie up the cords on your window blinds and clip them high up on the blind. It is a drag to have to replace or re-cord your blinds.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh my. People have some really naughty kitties. My parent's cat, one of them, found a piece of string lying around after my mom was sewing on a button or something. That cat would sell her soul for string.

Unfortunately, the string still had the sewing needle attached to it. All of which she swallowed. So one kitty endoscopy and about $1,600 later the needle was out and the cat was fine. She was lucky they were able to get it out via endoscope, otherwise it would have been abdominal surgery.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    great advices in this thread!

be glad you are not bunny proofing your house, they chew on absolutely everything. (they're the most adorable animals though, love my bunny to death) (and our old, lazy cat as well!)

Best of luck to you and your friend with the kitties

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    You can get the plexiglass cut to fit that too perhaps? I'm sure it could be relatively thin. Another thing you can find for a door is of course the brass kick-plate. Though those are usually mounted on exterior doors they should work and might come in the right size and with mounting gear.
    Thanks for your suggestion!

I didn't realize they actually sell doorjamb protectors for workmen to make sure they don't scratch up homes/offices where they're working. I may investigate something like that and attach it a bit more permanently, so that Amber the Conquorer doesn't pull it away.
    ~DC

vCash
    Oh, I thought of something else--razors. When I got my second kitten, he thought the pretty-colored plastic thing on the edge of the bathtub made cool sounds as he chased it around the tub. Unfortunately, I didn't put the cap back on it. Came home from work and bloody paw prints all over the bathroom. (Fortunately superficial, but still a scary sight!)

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Cats are hunters, so anything that looks like a bug or a worm or a bird or a fly is attractive to kittens (and cats). Put whatever it is away/out of reach.

When Mollie arrived it was the computer cords that most interested her. I bundled them up in those computer cord cover thingies as much as I could but also I NEVER let her near the computer unless I was actively using it, and of course I unplugged it when I wasn't using it.

Mollie taught my old cats how to flush the toilet. I had to adjust the flusher thingie so that only I could flush it.

Mollie is very very small even at 4 years old so I always make sure there is NOTHING laying about that she can crawl into. NOTHING.

My house is pretty geared towards the comfort and safety of my cats, I admit it.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    We've always had cats, including one who came to us at 6 weeks old, and who at almost 3 years, is still crazy.

Cautions:
    • Agree completely about anything resembling string - been there, done that, paid the enormous vet bill
    • Unplug (don't just turn off) anything with exposed cords when you are not in the room
    • Be sure to have the number and location of a 24-hour emergency vet contact handy - better safe than sorry
    • Get them fixed - even if they never go outside - as soon as the vet allows it

Suggestions:
    • Give them lots of stuff to play with, which should distract them (at least part of the time!) from your stuff - big favourites are ping pong balls, wadded up balls of tin foil, and wine corks
    • Provide a nice sunny spot to sleep - a windowsill or chair is ideal
    • As soon as the vet says it's OK, start clipping their nails (for your furniture and yourself) - when our little guy came to us I started playing with his toes right from the beginning, and now I can clip all four paws in less than a minute (recommend nail clipping scissors) - our older and otherwise docile cat did not get this early on, and she's really hard to clip

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Otherwise, you'd be really surprised at how resilient those tiny creatures are. A few times our kitten would launch herself off the back of the couch directly into the wall, fall the 4 feet to the floor, and came out none the worse for wear.
    Sounds like our cat...she's up on the roof chasing squirrels half the day; sounds like a herd of elephants...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    The fact that she's getting two kittens might help, because they'll play with each other instead of trying to get your attention by getting into things. Or maybe it'll be worse, probably depends on the cats.
    It's great to get two kittens, but in my experience that increases the risk of damage to breakables. A single cat is usually pretty graceful and won't knock over very many things it can see ahead of time--unless it views the object as a toy, of course. Two cats chasing each other around, though, are a different story. Mine destroyed several pieces of pottery while they were playing. Definitely move glassware, porcelain, and the like to spots behind closed doors.

If your friend keeps houseplants, it's important to be sure they aren't poisonous to cats. Poinsettias, for example, are a no-no.

vCash
    Why can't cats just stick to edible things?
    I'm this close to offering daily house cleaning to my friend. She's always got so many scrunchies and all kinds of strings on her floor

vCash
    Add wrapping ribbon to the list of "string like things".

Oh, and be sure, if you have hot air heat, that all covers over access to all the vents are in place.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Adding drawstrings to string-like-things. I came home one day when my girl was about 5 months old to find that she'd found her way into the (closed) closet, pulled the drawstrings out of 3 jackets that had been hanging up, and was in the process of knitting herself a cat's cradle with them. Luckily she was more of a string player & chewer than swallower (aside from that one Christmas with the tinsel ... never again ... )

But the main things to remember are that 1. kittens are utterly and completely batsh#t insane and 2. they (mostly) grow out of it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Further evidence that no matter how hard you try to kitten-proof the house, they'll find something.

But securing the toilet paper is still a good idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast