vCash

Everything on my computer has been deleted (or so it seems) HELP?!

So today I switched my computer on, and within about five minutes this box popped up calling itself a SystemDefragmenter. It told me my hard drive was corrupt, had ram memory failure and other shit. I checked google and stuff, and quickly realised it's a virus and followed the steps to remove it. I used malwarebytes, which scanned my c drive and my external hard drive and deleted them. I rebooted my computer, but now EVERYTHING has gone. About 300GB of stuff on my e drive and loads of stuff from my c drive. Yet when I go into bitorrent, for example, all my downloads are still there; just the folder location isn't. During the scan, all my contents seemed as normal, but now apparently my e drive is totally empty?!

Can anyone help me out please?

vCash
    My guess is the files are still there, it's just that the directory index is missing or corrupt. I think that type of thing can be fixed, but may require a pro. As for the E drive being empty, can you see it? Can you do a "properties" on it? That will tell you if there's content there or not.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Can you restore your computer to a previous point?

vCash
    ^System Restore would be my guess too, but I guess it would put you back at the virus problem, but you could try another removal system. There's Windows Live OneCare safety scanner, for example:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/W...computer-virus

Some good virus software programs are Trend Micro and Microsoft Security Essentials (Free).

I hope that helps.

vCash
    First, be assured that the files have not been deleted. Some of them may have been corrupted, but they have not been deleted, and you will be able to get them back. I've had good luck recovering files with Knoppix, but I did that when the hard drive died, not when there was a virus.

I would try a system restore, but if that doesn't work, you may have to take it to a professional. But rest assured, you WILL be able to get your files back!

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    First, be assured that the files have not been deleted. Some of them may have been corrupted, but they have not been deleted, and you will be able to get them back. I've had good luck recovering files with Knoppix, but I did that when the hard drive died, not when there was a virus.
    Shouldn't make a difference. Or it should be even easier, as the files are there, the operating system just needs to be able to find them again.

I would try a system restore, but if that doesn't work, you may have to take it to a professional. But rest assured, you WILL be able to get your files back!
    System restore to a point when there was no virus yet.

If that doesn't work, I would try different programs for restoring files. Gazpacho mentioned one. When my hard drive went kaput I used SpinRite. It's not free ($89), but I highly recommend it.