Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    If a twin has cancer, is the probability high the other twin will come down with the same cancer? Whether or not, that might have been a concern of Alissa's.

Too bad she stuck with the same coach too long. Her career might have been quite different had she changed earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    They're fraternal twins, though, so the odds of Alissa developing the same condition aren't any greater than they would be between any two siblings.
    Yup, plus cancer is not always caused by genes; there are environmental and other factors too.

So sorry Amber had to deal with cancer at such a young age. So glad she is doing better now.

Gooooo Alissa!!!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    That explains quite a bit about last season for Alissa, as even when she's had a bad night on the ice in the past, that smile was still there and her interviews were upbeat. That was missing last season and I had wondered why. This is the missing piece to all of that.

Cancer is a horrid disease that needs to be eradicated off this Earth. I'm so glad Amber's in remission and will pray that continues for her. Congratulations to her on her Marriage.

And I've said it before, but will say it again...Good Luck Alissa at Worlds!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I think it's always easier to say something like this after the fact.
    I don't believe it takes 11 years with a coach to realize that just maybe a change is in order. I think it was probably easier for Alissa to stay rather than leave and that is what she decided to do. In her youth, she also might not have the kind of personality to "fire" someone who had been there for them so long. It is moot though. Her career was what it was and her beauty and the beauty of her skating brought many wonderful moments to skating fans. I hope she decides to stay till Sochi,
    although there will certainly be obstacles to making the team, especially if we continue to have only two spots.
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-29-2011 at 09:01 PM.

vCash
    Did some research on cancer in fraternal and identical twins:

Swerdlow and his colleagues also found that fraternal twins generally have higher breast and testicular cancer risks than identical twins. While about two-thirds of all twins are fraternal, the data reveal that among the men with testicular cancer whose twin status was known, 85 percent were fraternal. Of the twins with breast cancer, 77 percent were fraternal.
    The study "is a milestone," says Dimitrios Trichopoulos, an epidemiologist at Harvard University School of Public Health in Boston. "It's the best study on this subject that's ever been done."

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc97/12_20_97/fob2.htm
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-30-2011 at 12:45 AM.

vCash
    From the NYT article: "Amber, who is not revealing her type of cancer, says she is in remission."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Could be, too, that Amber's cancer wasn't made public so the media wouldn't be all over it. You know it would have been used for one of those "Up Close and Personal" segments.
    Or, it could be that someone doing an "Up Close and Personal" interview showed some knowledge of the health crisis, so they decide to reveal it themselves rather than let it be a shock.

I can understand why some people would want to work through a crisis privately without telling anyone else until things were under control.

Hope Amber makes a full recovery and Alissa does well at Worlds.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 03-29-2011 at 10:09 PM.

vCash
    I don't believe it takes 11 years with a coach to realize that just maybe a change is in order. I think it was probably easier for Alissa to stay rather than leave and that is what she decided to do. In her youth, she also might not have the kind of personality to "fire" someone who had been there for them so long. It is moot though. Her career was what it was and her beauty and the beauty of her skating brought many wonderful moments to skating fans. I hope she decides to stay till Sochi,
    although there will certainly be obstacles to making the team, especially if we continue to have only two spots.
    Considering she'd been with her previous coach since she was a young teen/tween (12? 13?), then yes, it CAN take 11 years to figure that out. No doubt that coach is something of a parental figure (so you get attached), and during the highs and lows of adolescence it can be a good thing to have an adult who's always THERE and knows you intimately. And one goes through a lot of changes emotionally and psychologically between 12 and 22--you can't know ahead of time that the coach who was great for you at 12 won't be so great for you at 22.

vCash
    Thanks for the article. I'm sorry that Amber had cancer but really glad she is in remission.
    I'm so glad Alissa stuck around for another year and I really hope she can stick around for another olympics, if she wants to.

vCash
    Did some research on cancer in fraternal and identical twins:
    http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc97/12_20_97/fob2.htm

I can understand ACzisney's's fans wondering and being concerned (I certainly am too).
    But I get uncomfortable when it begins to cross the line into openly trying to assess Alissa's risk, which none of us is remotely qualified to do.
    The number of various studies and research out there is ovewhelming....we could put 50 links on this thread without breaking a sweat.
    Here's one that says overall, basically no difference between twins vs. general population except in certain cases:

"CONCLUSIONS: These results are consistent with the body of evidence suggesting that twins have a reduced risk of cancer in childhood. Although there is no overall differential in adult cancer risk, these data support the hypothesis that the in utero environment may play an important role in specific cancers."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15894678

People are free to speculate, but I'd rather just simply wish her and Amber the best and pray that they remain healthy.

-

vCash
    Does anyone know if things have been worked out re Jason's conflict with Worlds so that he will be able to be there with her?

I have heard Alissa's mom mentioned often, but not her dad. Is he deceased?
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-30-2011 at 12:56 AM.

vCash
    Does anyone know if things have been worked out re Jason's conflict with Worlds so that he will be able to be there with her?

I have heard Alissa's mom mentioned often, but not her dad. Is he deceased?

Her dad is on the right, I believe, in this photo. Still alive.
    I'm sure FS would've heard very quickly if something had happened to him, as with any of top figure skater's parents.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/a...summer/18.html

What exactly is the Jason's conflict with Worlds???...missed that one.

-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    What exactly is the Jason's conflict with Worlds???...missed that one.
    ISU pairs camp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    What exactly is the Jason's conflict with Worlds???...missed that one.-

Here's the link to the article: http://www.freep.com/article/2011032...-Championships

vCash

Jason cancels obligation: Will be at worlds with Alissa

vCash

Yes. Alissa needs him in her corner

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I hope she continues next season. I have to admit I was one of those who had written her off and was pleasantly surprised by her progress.

That was A LOT to deal with on her plate.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I'm not convinced. Sure, maybe she wouldn't have crashed and burned at 2009 Worlds if she had a comforting presence...but it really wasn't until Kwan and Cohen left that Czisny really had a chance at podium if she performed to the best of her ability.
    I don't think that's true. Czisny was certainly capable of placing higher than Meissner for the third spot in Torino, IMO. Looking at her results in the Fall of 2005, she won Skate Canada, won the silver at Skate America, and was the only American who qualified for the GPF (yes Kwan and Cohen wasn't there but Hughes and Meissner failed to qualify, and yes, she placed 6th, but it's still impressive). I also remember her making a big splash with skating fans and people were "oohing" and "aahing" over her spins and spirals. It seemed that she was the most complete skater competing for that third spot.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 03-30-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I don't think that's true. Czisny was certainly capable of placing higher than Meissner for the third spot in Torino, IMO. Looking at her results in the Fall of 2005, she won Skate Canada, won the silver at Skate America, and was the only American who qualified for the GPF (yes Kwan and Cohen wasn't there but Hughes and Meissner failed to qualify, and yes, she placed 6th, but it's still impressive). I also remember her making a big splash with skating fans and people were "oohing" and "aahing" over her spins and spirals. It seemed that she was the most complete skater competing for that third spot.
    People were touting her for the Olympic Gold Medal based on her showing at SA and SC.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I could see that. URs were not a big deal back then, and with 4 spin requirements in the LP and stringent spiral requirements, it was easier for Czisny to score high.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123