vCash

Please help. Salary for General Manager of a day spa with hair, photography, & nails

...and cosmetic dentistry.

I rarely post here, but have enjoyed reading many of the diverse topics. I am thinking of exploring this opportunity to work with a brand new high-end day spa. The concept is great...sort of like a one-stop-shop for all your beauty needs. The General Manager is responsible for everything: sales, customer service, marketing, budgeting, etc. He/she would be 2nd in command, reporting to the owner, over seeing the Managers of the 4 line of business: hair, nails, photography, and dentistry. I have searched high and low to get a general idea of an appropriate compensation. Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance!

vCash
    I'm NO expert but if the spa is brand new, maybe you could ask for a percentage of the gross/net profits. That way you would be helping it get up and running with the potential to make a lot of money when the salon is successful.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    What part of the country? City? Suburban? How many employees overall? (Full-time equivalent.)

I have a friend who runs a very nice day spa here, but I'm sure that the answer would be very different for a spa in San Francisco or Beverly Hills. (Cosmetic Dentistry I know nothing about, though.)

vCash
    When one of my compulsive liar cousins was pretending to manage a day spa, her pretend salary was $350,000 a year.

(The spa did not actually exist).

I'm guessing that doesn't help!

vCash
    Thanks for all the quick replies. The city is Philadelphia, Center City (business district) to be exact, at a nice and upcoming part of the city, with trendy restaurants and bars. The clientele is mostly yuppies, gays, and fashion-forward folks. The spa has been opened for almost a year now, and currently has a Manager in each of the 4 "departments", total of 8-10 employees. The owner is currently running/managing the whole thing, but needs immediate help. She is thinking of having another spa at Atlantic City, NJ.
    Last edited by Fan123; 03-26-2011 at 09:01 PM.

vCash
    I'll check with my friend and see if she has some thoughts.

vCash