Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to say, I had tourists at my wedding. That's the consequences of getting married at a Catholic Church that's also a National Historical Monument, I guess.
    I went to a wedding at St. Patrick's Cathedral on Yom Kippur Day, and it was the first wedding I'd ever been to at which tourists were snapping away at a wedding ceremony.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Personally, if someone gave me $1000 in cash and told me to spend it on a honeymoon, I'd feel very uncomfortable accepting. Somehow, the gift certificate wouldn't feel the same, even if it's worth the same amount. There's something about cold hard money that's different.
    Many people give savings bonds instead of checks for weddings. A $1000 savings bond costs $500 plus fees. Somehow that seems less extravagant and it's a testimony that you believe the marriage will last a long time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Many people give savings bonds instead of checks for weddings. A $1000 savings bond costs $500 plus fees. Somehow that seems less extravagant and it's a testimony that you believe the marriage will last a long time.
    Savings bonds from the US government have no fees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Great idea! Unfortunately, the savings bond interest rate is 0% right now. It will still get adjusted for inflation, however.

Since Louis is talking particularly about the honeymoon, I think a gift certificate for a few nights at a nearby resort is still a good idea (tooting my own horn ), but I really like the savings bond idea for a general wedding present.

Edit: I was referring to type I savings bonds. I didn't know about EE savings bonds ($1000 bond costs $500) but will now look into that for myself! Thanks, FigureSpins!

Edit: Hmm, now may not be the time for EE bonds either, as the interest rate on bonds bought today is fixed at 0.6%.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 03-30-2011 at 04:57 PM.

vCash
    I doubt anyone cares about my opinion at this point but I say give what you can afford for any wedding, whether it's a little or a lot. A gift is exactly that, a gift, between the giver and receiver, and nowhere in wedding etiquette (yet) is there a big tote board that flashes a running total of loot gathered that is obvious for all to see. Louis could give the money and no one might ever know except the couple, which would be a wonderfully personal gift.
    This summarizes how I feel, also.

vCash
    I bonds carry no fees, they are just like EE. The only difference is that EE are fixed rate and I have a fixed rate of return and a variable semiannual inflation rate (based on CPI-U for March and September)which are combined. Both I and EE are SAVINGS BONDS.
    Now Treasury bonds, notes and bills can be purchased from brokers and some large bank investment units for a fee, but you can get those through Treasury Direct for no fee.
    If I were a betting person, I would bet that the fixed rate for
    'I' will be more an 0% on May 1.
    Last edited by mrr50; 03-31-2011 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    Here's a thought. If you were afraid that a gift that big might make the friendship uncomfortable. You could always give them a smaller cash gift, and then give them some of the rest in an anonymous way. I.e a typed note saying that you think they are wonderful people who deserve a great honeymoon, and that your afraid they won't accept that if you give them the money directly. So your giving it to them in a way where they can't return it or say no.
    Last edited by bek; 03-31-2011 at 02:36 AM.

vCash
    I don't know if anyone has experience with this site that I found: http://www.xperiencedays.com/

It lets you buy gift certificates for an experience such as a hot air balloon ride or dance lessons. Sounds like a neat wedding gift.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Here's a thought. If you were afraid that a gift that big might make the friendship uncomfortable. You could always give them a smaller cash gift, and then give them some of the rest in an anonymous way. I.e a typed note saying that you think they are wonderful people who deserve a great honeymoon, and that your afraid they won't accept that if you give them the money directly. So your giving it to them in a way where they can't return it or say no.
    Wow, that's a great idea! Louis, I will be extremely impressed with you and anyone else who takes this approach. It's an exercise in true selflessness.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 03-31-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567