Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

Nobunari Oda postpones wedding to go to Worlds

According to the article: http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sport...sp085000c.html

... speaking on his 24th birthday, Oda said, "I'm just glad the event wasn't cancelled altogether."

Oda, whose wedding guests include defending world champion Mao Asada, said the ceremony would be pushed back to May or later.

"It clashes with the championships so there is not a lot I can do. I'll just try and do my best and hope my training pays off."
    The article includes comments from Miki Ando & Yu-Na Kim.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Thanks for the link. Happy Birthday to Oda and Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!!

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Happy 24th Birthday to Nobu and I'm sure he will make a cute groom. Congratulations!

vCash
    I thought he was already married!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    So did I!

vCash
    ^me too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Same here.
    Anyway.. He has a beautiful wife and a cute baby.
    He's a lucky guy.
    I´ll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    From Oda's wikipedia page:

In spring 2010, Oda married his longtime girlfriend, Mayu;[5] their son, Shintaro, was born on October 1, 2010
    Not that I haven't heard, "Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia."

vCash
    Maybe they had a civil ceremony already and are now having a more formal wedding party with family and friends? Sounds like his girlfriend/wife is being very understanding. Good luck to Oda and to all the skaters!

vCash
    I edit Wikipedia entries occasionally, and as a rule, if you can provide a reputable source for something, you can edit the entry accordingly. When it comes to skating, most people seem to be adding content and editing in good faith, so mistakes may come from the sources used.

The sources for Oda being married (and having a son) in his Wikipedia entry are a Globe and Mail story and an Ice Network recap. IN does have mistakes on occasion, but this is something that I've seen in multiple articles, so I guess they had a civil ceremony or something similar before the baby was born, and waited until a bit later to have a more formal wedding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hirshey girl View Post
    Maybe they had a civil ceremony already and are now having a more formal wedding party with family and friends? Sounds like his girlfriend/wife is being very understanding. Good luck to Oda and to all the skaters!
    Yep. That's correct. All it takes in Japan to be married is to fill in the form, sign it and take it to the municipal office - which the couple did last year, before the baby was born. And they were planning to have a wedding party, a more social and celebratory event, this year - maybe because they thought it would be too much for him to look for a new coach, complete his degree, prepare for the Worlds on his home soil, and go through the baby birth, on top of organising the wedding party, in such a short period of time.

I hope he does extremely well at the Worlds so that the occasion can be a double celebration.
    Last edited by mmot; 03-26-2011 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmot View Post
    Yep. That's correct. All it takes in Japan to be married is to fill in the form, sign it and take it to the municipal office - which the couple did last year, before the baby was born. And they were planning to have a wedding party, a more social and celebratory event, this year - maybe because they thought it would be too much for him to look for a new coach, complete his degree, prepare for the Worlds on his home soil, and go through the baby birth, on top of organising the wedding party, in such a short period of time.

I hope he does extremely well at the Worlds so that the occasion can be a double celebration.
    Thanks for the clarification.

vCash
    Yes, thanks.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Ditto!

vCash
    From your lips to the skategods' ears... (Hoping, hoping, hoping...)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash