Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    Can you rent Misfits in the USA? I can't wait for season 3. It's a very quirky but fascinating series.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Oh yes! Misfits is great!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Another one (how could I forget?!), still in production: House. First 6 seasons currently available on DVD.

vCash
    I almost never watch tv but I do have to echo the love for BSG. I really liked it more than I thought I would- and there is some nice eye candy as well.
    Other shows I really enjoyed that are over and would recommend -
    Nikita- kind of bleak and sometimes eye-rolling but I watched because I was a huge fan of the story of Michael and Nikita. I am getting into the reboot as well.
    Oz- I never thought I would watch a prison drama but it was one of my favourite programs. I can't watch a program unless I like at least one person and literally there was only one on there I liked (Said) yet I still kept watching.
    I am giving half a recommendation to Profiler. Just because I like shows with strong female leads. Other parts of the show bothered me. It also has some great actors in it.

As for other shows of those currently on- I've stopped watching Criminal Minds but loved the first 4 seasons.
    I am just getting into The Closer. I think its run is almost over so its going into the series done shelf soon.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
    I am giving half a recommendation to Profiler. Just because I like shows with strong female leads. Other parts of the show bothered me. It also has some great actors in it.
    I would second Profiler. Without a Trace is in a similar vein.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    If you say Profiler, I have to throw in Pretender as well.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Throwing another vote to Alias. I loved that show although I try to forget the parts of the later seasons when Syd lost two years of her life and Vaughn was like a pod man instead of the awesome, hot man he started off as on the show, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I would rent "most" any series that was made for HBO and Showtime that you don't see on regular TV. They are the shows that get many of the nominations during awards season.

It's better to see them in their uncut versions: True Blood, US's of Tara, Nurse Jackie, Dexter, Sex and The City, Rome, The Soprano's, The Tudors, Six Feet Under....and many more. One show that was canceled by HBO too soon that I loved....Lisa Kudrow's "The Comeback".

Don't forget about new series like Shameless and Episodes....I love them both.

Starz has some new shows starting, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyLaRhumba View Post
    Help guys! I'm looking for a new (old) show to rent on DVD. I've done SATC, X-Files, Ugly Betty, Nip/Tuck, all the Law & Orders. What do you suggest?
    New
    - Sherlock
    - Mad Men
    - Curb your Enthusiasm

Old (these are very popular and are still running in USA on PBS, but in case you did not know of them…).
    - Fawlty Towers
    - Are you Being Served
    - Keeping Up Appearances
    - Doc Martin

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Dexter
    Six Feet Under
    Desperate Housewives
    Arrested Development
    Pushing Daisies
    Wonderfalls
    True Blood
    Joan of Arcadia
    Freaks and Geeks
    Reba
    Life As We Know It
    Everwood
    Dawson's Creek
    Torchwood
    Dead Like Me
    My So Called Life
    The Closer
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Angel
    Queer As Folk
    CSI
    CSI: Miami
    Without A Trace

vCash
    I forgot Leverage. Good "heist"-type show on TNT.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    As Time Goes By
    Coach
    Burn Notice

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    I'd add 24 to the growing list. I only watched the last 3 seasons, but I've heard great things about the earlier seasons. I've been meaning to go back and watch from the start.
    I've seen all the 24 episodes / seasons. I'd definitely start with season 1. The concept may get tired after awhile, but until it does it is . And it'd probably be pretty cool to watch it more in "real time," as opposed to one hour per week.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I liked Sherlock, a modern take on the Sherlock Holmes story.
    Sherlock is really good. But far to few episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Not a series, but a six-part mini-series I saw on BBC America and then watched again from Netflix: Luther. Terrific detective/crime story. Each episode covers a different crime, but there's a continuing back story. I loved it.
    I watched Luther on BBCA recently. So good! And Idris Elba is . Are they filming any more episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    And if you enjoyed The X-Files, definitely check out Fringe. It is amazing; especially in seasons 2 and 3 --season 3 is airing now, though, so you may have to wait to catch up!
    I loved The X Files, and enjoy Fringe, but the latter has issues with the quality of the acting by the two leads. That said, I really like the premise and the current season's bouncing back and forth between the two universes.

Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer11 View Post
    I completely missed the first season of Life, but really enjoyed the second season. Is there somewhere I can find the first season? Damian Lewis is .
    Creating drama!

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ~ Slings and Arrows -- about a fictional theatre town (based on Stratford no doubt). Centres around the reluctant theatre director, played by the always delicious Paul Gross; more quirky humour; lots of art vs. commerce stuff. Oh, and a ghost. 3 6-episode seasons, each one centring around the production of a different play: 1=Hamlet, 2=The Scottish Play, 3=Lear.
    Slings and Arrows is brilliant, and everyone who likes quirky programmes should go and watch it immediately. And if you do end up over Paul Gross (be still my beating heart), then you should definitely also try Due South. It's a buddy cop show about a Canadian Mountie from the Northwest Territories who ends up working in Chicago and solving crimes with a Chicago Detective. With his wolf.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I loved Slings and Arrows but was indifferent to Due South.

Sometimes what grabs one person leaves another person cold.

By all means keep trying different suggestions and enjoy the ones you enjoy.

I've given up on most US broadcast shows. I might try a couple new ones each year and maybe stick with one. I prefer renting the HBO/Showtime ones, even if that does leave me a year behind on some that are still running. Many are the years that I've watched more skating broadcasts than acted shows.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Agh, how could I EVER forget about Drop Dead Diva?! I LOVE that show! Seasons 1 & 2 have aired on Lifetime and the 1st Season was released to DVD last year. It's seriously one of the best tv series EVAH and definitely worthy of more viewers! You won't be disappointed!

is silently judging you
    vCash
    Based on your tastes, check out:

The Wire
    Fringe
    Misfits (if you can track it down)
    Friday Night Lights
    Dexter
    Mad Men
    Sherlock
    The Good Wife

Only The Wire and Friday Night Lights are now off the air.
    Last edited by Verbalgirl77; 03-27-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    The audience I am trying to reach are champion figure skaters. I think they need me the most. -- Morrissey

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    Slings and Arrows is brilliant, and everyone who likes quirky programmes should go and watch it immediately. And if you do end up over Paul Gross (be still my beating heart), then you should definitely also try Due South. It's a buddy cop show about a Canadian Mountie from the Northwest Territories who ends up working in Chicago and solving crimes with a Chicago Detective. With his wolf.
    I was gifted the Slings and Arrows box set but haven't watched it yet. I loved Due South. If you are/become a Paul Gross fan then you must really try to find the made for TV movie Getting Married in Buffalo Jump (CBC I think). He was soooo hot in that your screen will melt for sure . It was also a really cute story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I completely missed the first season of Life, but really enjoyed the second season. Is there somewhere I can find the first season? Damian Lewis is .
    Hulu, netflix, the usual suspects? Agreed, Damian Lewis was . Also check your PMs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I watched Luther on BBCA recently. So good! And Idris Elba is . Are they filming any more episodes?
    I read that BBC will air two new two-hour episodes of Luther sometime this year. The same site reported that there will be three new 90 minute Sherlock episodes also.

Idris Elba was great; I don't remember seeing him in anything before Luther. Ruth Wilson was a revelation as such an evil character. I remember seeing her in one of the many TV versions of Jane Eyre. Talk about a switch!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast