Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Need A New TV Series To Love

Help guys! I'm looking for a new (old) show to rent on DVD. I've done SATC, X-Files, Ugly Betty, Nip/Tuck, all the Law & Orders. What do you suggest?

vCash
    Lost or The Tudors

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I'm hooked on Weeds and True Blood. The first season of Nurse Jackie was good, too.

vCash
    Psych or White Collar, although the latter's second season won't be on DVD till June.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have tons to recommend, I love TV series. Good thread, by the way, as I am always looking for new ones myself:

Lost (if you like getting REALLY involved in shows)
    Weeds (one of my favorites)
    Skins (UK version, just began watching and I love it)
    Nurse Jackie
    United States of Tara
    Desperate Housewives
    Dexter (love this, can't wait for new season)

You might like Lost based on liking X-files but again, it is really about investing your time, you can't just put this show on as background noise and keep up.

Weeds is my best recommendation, you can also buy the seasons for cheap compared to most shows. I think most are around $25.00
    Last edited by BigB08822; 03-24-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    One that's over, available on DVD, and AMAZING, is Life on Mars (original UK version). I think that one is perfect for you, because it's both a police procedural, and sci fi, so it goes with both your X Files and Law & Order likes. I adored that show:
    http://www.amazon.com/Life-Mars-UK-C...0991237&sr=8-2

The only show I currently really love is Being Human (original UK version). Since you liked X files, you may like that one as well. It's airing season 3 right now, but seasons 1&2 are available on DVD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Being-Human-Se...0991200&sr=8-1

If you liked Sex and the City, and you wouldn't mind something way funnier, you may like AbFab:
    http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Fab...0991355&sr=1-5

I liked Sherlock, a modern take on the Sherlock Holmes story. It's really very good, and you may like it, since you liked L&O. Season one is done now. It's only 3 episodes long. They're filming season 2:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Seaso...b_hu_m_T2_3_dp

All my recommendations are British.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 03-24-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Speaking of British comedies reminds me of Blackadder, which is hilarious. (Bear in mind that season 1 -- or series 1, as the Brits would say -- is markedly different from the other seasons in tone and character. Still fairly funny, but I'd say they didn't quite have their act together yet. You might even want to start with the second season, and go back to the first one later.)

Oh, and I'm enjoying Sherlock too.
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 03-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Shows that are over:
    The Wire
    Arrested Development
    Flight of the Conchords
    Battlestar Galactica

Shows still going:
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    The Good Wife

vCash
    Oh, I loved Battlestar Galactica - the new one, not the one from the 1970's. Highly recommended. Great idea!
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    One of my favourites to go back to again and again is The West Wing. The writer in me is totally in love with Aaron Sorkin.

vCash
    So many already mentioned that I love!

Of shows that have finished, I loved:
    The West Wing
    The Wire

Of shows still going...
    Mad Men (Wonderful...although sometimes hard to watch).
    The Good Wife
    Castle (very funny, easy to watch police show).
    Sherlock
    United States of Tara (Same as Mad Men - sometimes difficult to watch)
    Being Human

From the Bloc
    vCash
    We've really enjoyed watching Entourage and Californication on DVD, and we pvr Weeds so we can watch 3 eps at a time as we do with the DVDs. There's something great about enjoying a show and being able to see another one right away. The lone season of Swingtown might fit into the same category of more adult/cable style shows.

If you like Lost, you might also enjoy the old Twin Peaks series - we loved it at the time, and 20 years later it still holds up.

If anyone likes high quality but short-lived teen dramas, My So Called Life and Freaks and Geeks (James Franco!) have really good boxed sets.

vCash
    I would suggest:

Six Feet Under
    Damages
    The Wire
    True Blood
    Pushing Daisies
    Dexter
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Dexter, we watched 5 seasons in a month. Awesome Show!!!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    For mainstream/network shows, I second the vote for The West Wing -- still one of the best network series ever, even with the slight decline in quality in the last 2 seasons. Castle is fun too -- nice to have a police series that isn't all dark & gritty. Others I'd recommend that might fit your tastes would be The Gilmore Girls and Joan of Arcadia (the latter sadly only lasting 2 seasons).

For cable series, I'll second the vote for United States of Tara, but can't recommend Nurse Jackie -- great performances to be sure, but I just can't muster any connection to the main character ... Some others I'd add to the list would be:
    ~ Dead Like Me -- quirky series about a 20-year-old slacker who is killed in a freak accident ... then finds out she has to serve time as a grim reaper. Lots of humour mixed with poignancy. 2 seasons plus a movie.
    ~ Slings and Arrows -- about a fictional theatre town (based on Stratford no doubt). Centres around the reluctant theatre director, played by the always delicious Paul Gross; more quirky humour; lots of art vs. commerce stuff. Oh, and a ghost. 3 6-episode seasons, each one centring around the production of a different play: 1=Hamlet, 2=The Scottish Play, 3=Lear.

For UK series, Life on Mars is brilliant, and Being Human has some good stuff. My all-time favourites though are:
    ~ Doctor Who (post 2005 -- aka "NuWho") -- classic scifi with a quirky feel
    ~ Torchwood -- darker and sexier spinoff of Doctor Who
    ~ MI-5 (aka Spooks) -- about, well, MI-5
    ~ Hustle -- about a gang of con artists

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Shows that are over:
    The Wire
    The best show on television, ever. Incredibly intense.

And since you like Law & Order, I would recommend another series by David Simon - Homicide, Life on the Street.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Torchwood
    Doctor Who
    Firefly
    Dresden Files

Can you tell I like Sci-fi?

vCash
    Oh lots of possibilities here! I LOVED My So Called Life when it originally aired & still can't believe it lasted only a season. I've been contemplating Twin Peaks. Any of you that like the Law & Order type thing- I'd strongly suggest Southland. It started on NBC for only a season or so and was kicked over to cable. The writer in me loves the grittiness of it.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Third Watch!! But only Season 1-2 of six seasons are available at this time. My most favorite show EVER. I don't know why the hell they can't get the rest of the seasons out.

vCash
    I'd add 24 to the growing list. I only watched the last 3 seasons, but I've heard great things about the earlier seasons. I've been meaning to go back and watch from the start.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast