Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5836

    Singer Loleatta Holloway has died

    Many of you may not know this lady, but Marky Mark sampled her extensively in his hit "Good Vibrations", and she was in the video.


    http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Musi...html?hpt=Sbin#

    I learned about her from drag queens in Richmond in the late '70s/early '80s tearing down the house to "I May Not Be There When You Want Me (But I'm Right on Time)".

    Rex, you old enough to remember Miss Loleatta?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Many of you may not know this lady, but Marky Mark sampled her extensively in his hit "Good Vibrations", and she was in the video.


    http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Musi...html?hpt=Sbin#

    I learned about her from drag queens in Richmond in the late '70s/early '80s tearing down the house to "I May Not Be There When You Want Me (But I'm Right on Time)".

    Rex, you old enough to remember Miss Loleatta?
    I remember her. Didn't she also sing for Black Box?

  3. #3
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5836
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I remember her. Didn't she also sing for Black Box?
    No, Spinner -that was Martha Wash of Two Tons of Fun aka The Weather Girls ("It's Raining Men"). Both divas much beloved of drag entertainers and gay boys of a certain age everywhere.

    You don't have to turn in the toaster oven - you're just too young to remember each of them in their disco heyday, unlike myself.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    No, Spinner -that was Martha Wash of Two Tons of Fun aka The Weather Girls ("It's Raining Men"). Both divas much beloved of drag entertainers and gay boys of a certain age everywhere.

    You don't have to turn in the toaster oven - you're just too young to remember each of them in their disco heyday, unlike myself.
    But she did actually sing "Ride On Time" from their Dreamland CD That CD was on heavy rotation for me in 90-91

    And yes, I know who Martha Wash is too. I'm not too old for "It's Rainin' Men" I get to keep the toaster.

  5. #5
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5836
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    But she did actually sing "Ride On Time" from their Dreamland CD That CD was on heavy rotation for me in 90-91

    And yes, I know who Martha Wash is too. I'm not too old for "It's Rainin' Men" I get to keep the toaster.
    I thought Martha did "Ride on Time" too, but I am sure in retrospect that you must be correct. What age were you then, 12?

    BTW, I didn't think you were too OLD for "IRM" - on the contrary...
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    I thought Martha did "Ride on Time" too, but I am sure in retrospect that you must be correct. What age were you then, 12?

    BTW, I didn't think you were too OLD for "IRM" - on the contrary...
    My real age is shown below my username. I was 18 in 1990 And if you get to listen to the original version from the CD, it's clearly Loleatta. There was some controversy over this, much like the "Everybody Dance Now" kafuffle with C&C Music Factory.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Many of you may not know this lady, but Marky Mark sampled her extensively in his hit "Good Vibrations", and she was in the video.


    http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Musi...html?hpt=Sbin#

    I learned about her from drag queens in Richmond in the late '70s/early '80s tearing down the house to "I May Not Be There When You Want Me (But I'm Right on Time)".

    Rex, you old enough to remember Miss Loleatta?
    Yes I am! She also sang this: First version of "Runaway".
    My divas are all dropping like flies. .

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in the centre
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2426

    2 Great Ladies in 2 days (a Diva of screen and a Disco House Diva) is much too much for me ...

  9. #9
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    I downloaded a bunch of Loleatta Holloway songs a few years back, but never listened to them much. On hearing the news of her death, I listened to samples of her song at amazon to see what stood out.

    Unforunately, I don't think she ever got material that was worthy of her. Not sure if she was not good at picking quality songs, or if she was manipulated by producers and managers who told her what to sing. It's such a shame that there is not better material left behind by such an amazing talent...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •