View Poll Results: Who will win the 2011 ladies World Championships gold medal?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kim Yu-Na

132 55.93%
  • Mao Asada

47 19.92%
  • Miki Ando

40 16.95%
  • Alissa Czisny

9 3.81%
  • Rachael Flatt

2 0.85%
  • Carolina Kostner

1 0.42%
  • Kiira Korpi

2 0.85%
  • Kanako Murakami

0 0%
  • Ksenia Makarova

1 0.42%
  • Alena Leonova

0 0%
  • Viktoria Helgesson

2 0.85%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    I seriously think this year is Miki's year, but if she does falter, then the podium is up for grabs, most likely by Yuna. Mao's consistency at Worlds will help. I think whoever did this poll had a very good guess about who is going to be on the podium. except Phaneuf > Helgesson

I say:
    Miki 1
    Yuna 2
    Mao 3 - 4
    Czisny 3 - 11 (depends on watch Czisny we get. hopefully the good one)
    Murakami 3 - 7
    Kostner 3 - 10
    Flatt 5 - 10
    Korpii 6 - 9
    Phaneuf 6 - 10
    Makarova 9 - 10
    Leonava 9 - 10

But still really really really really really irked about Mirai not making Worlds. I think after both of their subpar performance at nationals. USFSA should have decided their world berths based on their performances at 4CC. She would have been 3 - 8 in my opinion.
    Makarova and Leonova, especially Leonova, are capable of falling out of the top 10. I'd say the same is true for Phanuef and Korpi too, depending on which girl shows up at worlds. The results I expect are:

Places 1-3:
    Miki
    Yuna
    Mao

and maybe:
    Kanako
    Carolina
    Alissa

Places 4-6:
    Kanako
    Carolina
    Alissa

and maybe:
    Mao
    Kiira
    Rachael
    Ksenia

Places 7-9:
    Kiira
    Rachael
    Cynthia

and maybe:
    Ksenia
    Alena
    Alissa
    Carolina

Places 9-11:
    Ksenia
    Alena
    Elene

and maybe:
    Cynthia
    Viktoria
    Min-Jung
    Joshi
    Myrianne

Places 12-14:
    Viktoria
    Min-Jung
    Joshi

and maybe:
    Alena
    Elene
    Juulia
    Myrianne
    Sarah

vCash
    I think the fact that most of the skaters thinking Worlds being cancelled was a big possibility is going to light a fire under all of them. I think all 4 disciplines will be more competitive than they were before, I'm super excited.

vCash
    Amelie Lacoste is going instead of Myriane Samson now, apparently (Samson's injured). I read that in another thread.

vCash
    i would be so surprised if minjung kwak got 12th and yuna kim got 1st. Then korea would finally have 3 skaters at worlds next year. There's going to be such a huge talent splurge from korea soon. I am really happy that other people like min-jung (I thought I was the only one). If she gets the PCS she deserves and skates to the best of her ability, I'd say she can get 10th but she, sadly, always misses one jump or element. Once again, so happy that someone thinks so highly of minjung to be put into 9-14 rank

vCash
    oh yea btw, i'm not really informed with some of the canadian skaters

did mira leung retire?
    and who is better between Samson or Lacoste?

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Predictions are really hard, this time the advantage will go to those who don't fall too much out of shape once the season peak is over. Which can also be read: those who never particularly peak, or accuratly paln to.

I'll say what my dream podium would be though.
    Asada, Korpi, and then for third place I'd be torn between Murakami and Czisny. I think I enjoy Murakami slightly more, but I'd also love for Czisny to medal at worlds at least once.

-- Wishful thinking.
    Last edited by loulou; 03-30-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typos

vCash
    I say right now advantage goes to skaters who are mentally tought and doesn't skate half their program on butt (Kim, Asada, Ando, Murakami). Others like Kostner, Cizney has potential to skates well, but the chances are like winning a lottery. Others like Korppi, Makarova don't have a chance even with ridicolous PCS and pretty bonuses.

Right now chances wise: Ando 30% & Kim 30% (both are already max out their score potential, unless they attempt the 3F and 3Lo respectively). Asada 40% (coz she has potential to outscore both of them). But then, ice is slippery so.

vCash
    Four of the last three world champions are in this event.

vCash
    Although I voted for Yu-na, I would be thrilled if Miki took the gold!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    i would be so surprised if minjung kwak got 12th and yuna kim got 1st. Then korea would finally have 3 skaters at worlds next year. There's going to be such a huge talent splurge from korea soon. I am really happy that other people like min-jung (I thought I was the only one). If she gets the PCS she deserves and skates to the best of her ability, I'd say she can get 10th but she, sadly, always misses one jump or element. Once again, so happy that someone thinks so highly of minjung to be put into 9-14 rank
    Well Min-Jung just placed 8th at 4CC, ahead of Lacoste and Samson, and she's scored in the mid-high 140s at her past 3 competitions (4cc, Asian Games, Nationals) and her PCS have been improving. If she skates clean and rotates her jumps, she could probably score like 55 for SP and 105 for FS so around 160 overall, which probably could correlate to like 10th place.

If she skates like she did at her recent events, she'll probably finish more 12th-15th if I had to guess, but looking at the 4CC results, if you replace Akiko with Kanako and remove Mirai, and then add the European ladies likely to beat MJ at Worlds - Carolina, Kiira, Ksenia very likely (although not even considering how inconsistent those ladies can be...), that would put Min-Jung in 10th place, and then there's a group of like 5 ladies that could beat her but also might not, those skaters being Alena, Elene, Amelie, and both Helgessons. Skaters like Sarah Hecken, Cheltzie and Mae can be added to that group as well, though I think Min-Jung has a good shot at beating those three at Worlds this year judging from recent results. So if they all beat her, that would be like 19th place, but realistically they probably won't, so I still say 12th-15th is more realistically what she'll place. Maybe like 9, 10, 11 if she skates really well and/or others falter. I know last year she bombed at Worlds, but I tend to think that was because she was burnt out after the Olympics and that won't happen this year. Her URs seem to be less of an issue now, so there is a slim chance Korea could get 3 spots, although I think more likely is that they will just miss getting 3 spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Although I voted for Yu-na, I would be thrilled if Miki took the gold!
    That way all my three fav ladies Mao, Miki n Kim has two major titles each.

Is Miki already in Moscow? I heard she trained in Russia with her coach, so?

vCash
    I voted for Miki. Her consistency this season imo has been amazing. Mao's jumps have been iffy, improving but iffy. I did not vote for YuNa simply because she has not competed this season and my vote was based on what I saw on the ice this season.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Four of the last three world champions are in this event.
    The sentence "Four of the last three" doesn't make too much sense, is it me?

Maybe you meant "Three of the last four" (Asada, Kim, Ando, Meissner)? Well, yeah, I guess you did.

vCash
    I wonder if Finland can get 3 spots for next year. That would be so awesome. If Kiira could finally skate clean, I think she could medal, and the girl Juulia I know only has 3t, 3s, and 3lz, but she also has 3t-3t and if she does it in the SP and then is clean in the FS maybe she can upset and make the top 10-12 and then Finland would have 3 spots for next year. That would be really cool.

vCash
    I voted Miki. IMO:

1 Ando
    2 Kim
    for the 3rd place: Kostner / Asada / Czisny
    4-10: two of the above and Flatt, Murakami, Korpi, Makarova, Phaneuf
    11-16: Leonova, Hecken, Kwak, Lee, Turkkila, Helgesson

vCash
    Since YuNa hasn't competed since Worlds 2010 and has a lot of pressure as the Olympic Champion, I'm betting on either Mao or Miki to win it. Miki is a strong contender because she has been so consistent this season, and Mao is a strong contender because she is always a late season skater and was finally hitting her stride at Four Continents. I think the advantage will go to late season peakers, while early season peakers like Alissa Czisny may be burned out and lose focus.

vCash
    Miki ando
    Mao asada
    Yuna kim or Murakami

vCash
    how can I vote for Miki Ando, she the hottiest this time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12