Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I've got three words for you: Eleanor of Aquitaine. If The Lion in Winter isn't a case of performance overshadowing personality, I don't know what is.
    Such a wonderful performance, but perhaps even better is Miss Hepburn's performance as Mary Tyrone in Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night". She was a very different person from the character of a Irish Catholic schoolgirl who marries a charismatic young stage actor and becomes a dope addict in the years after the birth of their 2 sons and her husband's constant touring in his warhorse signature role, which he chooses for income rather than fulfilling his promise to be a fine Shakespearean artist.

This is not "Requiem for a Dream" slammed in your face (LDJIN was filmed in the very early 1960's), but far more subtle and no less horrifying.

ETA: I cannot believe I forgot Doris Day on the list of Golden Age stars still with us. Tie in to Ms. Taylor: in the movie "The Mirror Crack'd", her character, attempting to make a return to film after WWII and a tragedy in her life, stares into a mirror and intones "Bags, bags, go away - come again on Doris Day!".
    Last edited by VALuvsMKwan; 03-25-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    This is huge. I heard the news on my car radio the day she passed. Awesome beauty, personality, talent, and humanitarian too. RIP Elizabeth. She will be missed.

I am trying to remember which ones of her movies I have seen-

Cleopatra
    Cat on a hot tin roof
    Giant

I am sure I will remember more later.

Got to rent 'Butterfield 8' and 'Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf?'
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-25-2011 at 07:58 AM.

vCash
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was on TCM at 2 am. I got it on my DVR for the rainy weekend they are predicting here in Atlanta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Such a wonderful performance, but perhaps even better is Miss Hepburn's performance as Mary Tyrone in Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night". She was a very different person from the character of a Irish Catholic schoolgirl who marries a charismatic young stage actor and becomes a dope addict in the years after the birth of their 2 sons and her husband's constant touring in his warhorse signature role, which he chooses for income rather than fulfilling his promise to be a fine Shakespearean artist.
    I think Summertime was her best performance, and least mannered.

vCash
    Elizabeth Taylor's funeral was already held so the Westboro Baptist Church thugs can't disrupt the service.

I know it's not considered a great movie but I loved Cleopatra. She looked so vibrant in that movie. And I won't forget Elizabeth's brief role as Helena Cassidine in "General Hospital."

RIP Miss Taylor, you are unforgettable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Interesting you mention that; after I posted about Lion, I thought about Long Day's Journey as another example of a magnificent performance. She was so incredibly versatile.

ETA: I cannot believe I forgot Doris Day on the list of Golden Age stars still with us. Tie in to Ms. Taylor: in the movie "The Mirror Crack'd", her character, attempting to make a return to film after WWII and a tragedy in her life, stares into a mirror and intones "Bags, bags, go away - come again on Doris Day!".
    Oh, how I HATED that film. The Mirror Crack'd is my favorite Christie novel, and they made such a wreck of it. It would have been okay just as a soapy TV movie, but as an adaptation of that book, it was a disaster.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    In a final display of her humour, Elizabeth Taylor left instructions that the beginning of her funeral (held privately yesterday at Forest Lawn Cemetery) should be delayed to show that she was someone who would be "late for her own funeral"! It is reported to have begun 16 minutes late

There are plans being put together for a public memorial at a later date, apparently.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    And I won't forget Elizabeth's brief role as Helena Cassidine in "General Hospital."
    She also had a cameo in the miniseries North and South as the Madam of the New Orleans bordello where Madeleine's mother worked as a prostitute before marrying one of her clients.

ETA: Wheeeee!! Found it!!
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    In a final display of her humour, Elizabeth Taylor left instructions that the beginning of her funeral (held privately yesterday at Forest Lawn Cemetery) should be delayed to show that she was someone who would be "late for her own funeral"! It is reported to have begun 16 minutes late

lol....delightful and charming to the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    She also had a cameo in the miniseries North and South as the Madam of the New Orleans bordello where Madeleine's mother worked as a prostitute before marrying one of her clients.

I loved it, and her!
    The world was better for her presence here; and is poorer for her absence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I'd say it's more of an indigo color than an out and out blue or purple, they look gorgeous in this photo...

http://iamyouasheisme.files.wordpres...et-eyes-et.jpg
    In the above photo Taylor's eyes appear to be the color of periwinkles. However, I've noticed that photo, film and television cameras don't always accurately reflect some colors. Several years while attending Champions On Ice at MCI Center in Washington, D.C. I noticed that on the Jumbotron, a female skaters' violet blue dress appeared cobalt blue. Anton Sikharulidze's eyes usually appear dark brown in photos and on television but from what I've read they're actually green.

Back to Dame Elizabeth...my favorite film with she and Burton together was "The Sandpiper".
    Last edited by Civic; 03-25-2011 at 03:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

I ought to watch that miniseries sometime -- it's a who's-who of Hollywood. IIRC, Gene Kelly was in there too somewhere.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I ought to watch that miniseries sometime -- it's a who's-who of Hollywood. IIRC, Gene Kelly was in there too somewhere.
    I finally broke down and bought the DVD set of all three of the miniseries. They cut out pieces, which was unfortunate, but it is great to see all of these people in the cast. The opening credits for it take forever to get through because the list is basically three miles long.

vCash
    Lots of articles mention her and Burton's affair and as him being the love of her life. I think he was a great love in her life but I've always thought Mike Todd was the love of her life. Her relationship with Mike was so wonderful. He treated her like queen, lavished her with love, gifts. Liz called him irresistable. I remember her saying that, 1957 was the greatest year of her life(she married Mike Todd, had a baby girl and was completed in love)

World win courtship after he told her to "not date" anyone but him a day after she announced her separation from Wilding. He courted romantically and aggressively. Also accepted her 2 children with Wilding.

The story of how Mike bought her "the infamous tiara". Quote from Liz
    When [third husband Mike Todd] gave me this tiara, he said, 'You're my queen, and I think you should have a tiara,'"
    I'v read that she would wear it when doing the dishes

Mike Todd and Liz Taylor interview.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWB515pbe5E You can see the love and admiration they have for each other. They hold hands alot in the video too. I really like Mike Todd.

Liz Quote regarding Mike Todd
    "I needed -- after Mike's death -- some very strong faith to keep me alive, something to hang on to. I didn't find it in Christian Science. And I wanted to be close to Mike. So I studied Judaism for a year after his death, and then converted
    Mike Todd had dated Gypsy Rose Lee and was engaged to actress Evelyn Keyes.

Very interesting that Mike Todd's plane crashed on March 22, 1958: Elizabeth was suppose to fly with him on the plane "lucky Liz" (Mike private plane named after Liz)

Family pict with Mike Todd and baby Eliza

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trialsa...rs/4687590205/
    Last edited by topaz; 03-25-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I'd say it's more of an indigo color than an out and out blue or purple, they look gorgeous in this photo...

http://iamyouasheisme.files.wordpres...et-eyes-et.jpg
    Funny, but I was never a fan of Taylor's eye color--blue, lavender, whatever. I think blue eyes look more flattering on blondes. With her jet-black hair, brows, and lashes, I think she would have looked even more stunning with very dark, smoldering eyes!

vCash

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Funny, but I was never a fan of Taylor's eye color--blue, lavender, whatever. I think blue eyes look more flattering on blondes. With her jet-black hair, brows, and lashes, I think she would have looked even more stunning with very dark, smoldering eyes!
    I totally disagree, I have always thought the contrast between her dark dark hair and her light eyes was so incredibly striking. I actually think that if she had been blonde her eyes wouldnt have stood out so much. Likewise, dark brown eyes wouldn't have stood out much either. I feel the same about Viven Leigh, who was also known for her unusual eye color and dark hair
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 03-26-2011 at 05:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    The story of how Mike bought her "the infamous tiara". Quote from Liz I'v read that she would wear it when doing the dishes
    I call shenanigans. I refuse to believe Liz Taylor did dishes.

vCash
    I totally disagree, I have always thought the contrast between her dark dark hair and her light eyes was so incredibly striking. I actually think that if she had been blonde her eyes wouldnt have stood out so much. Likewise, dark brown eyes wouldn't have stood out much either. I feel the same about Viven Leigh, who was also known for her unusual eye color and dark hair
    Same here. Maybe because it is so unexpected.

vCash
    My own natural hair color is very dark and my eye color is a bright blue. While I color my hair now, I have always received compliments on my eyes because they are such a strong contrast o my hair color.

I'm a fan of it myself, though I have a husband with dark brown eyes.

Elizabeth's Taylor's eyes were beautiful not only for the color but the shape and her abundant lashes. As somoene (can't remember who it was) said, she basically born with a double set of lashes.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast