Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post

She becomes a child star who grows up to be beautiful beyond belief, marries a rich playboy as almost a child bride, divorces him and becomes a wife and mother to a boring englishman, divorces him to marry a flamboyant older producer in a loving but stormy union, loses that husband in a plane crash, "steals" his best friend and destroys the "perfect" marriage, marries him and becomes public enemy #1, almost dies of pneumonia and becomes public survivor #1, gives her husband a dose of his own medicine by leaving him for a costar, marries him--twice--giving the tabloids stories to tell for years, becomes a senator's wife and gains 200 pounds, divorces him and loses the weight (and again looking absolutely fabulous), becomes best friends with wacko jacko, marries a man she met in rehab, becomes an activist of the "taboo" disease at a time when no one else would, becomes more wealthy than she's ever been with the launch of her perfumes...

There will never be another Elizabeth Taylor.
    That about sums it up! RIP Elizabeth Taylor

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I went to the video store last night after work and nabbed 4 Taylor films to watch this weekend: Suddenly Last Summer, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butterfield 8, and Elephant Walk. They didn't have A Place in the Sun in stock and I didn't feel like getting all gloomy with Virginia Woolf.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Westboro Baptist will be picketing at the funeral...

Westboro

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I wish Taylor had played Bonnie butler in GWTW. I read in one of the obits she was up for the part, and was the perfect age at the time. She looked so much like Vivien Leigh, especially younger, and I always thought that the girl they did cast was so weak as an actress. I always find those parts of GWTW distracting. And how cool would that have been to have been her first role!!

According to Wikipedia, she was still living in England when GWTW was being filmed, and she didn't come to the US until April 1939. She wasn't even signed to a major studio (Universal) until 1941. MGM first signed her in 1942.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I didn't know that she was up for Bonnie Butler
    That's because it isn't true.

http://dameelizabethtaylor.com/faqs.html

How did Dame Elizabeth get her start in show business?

While fleeing war torn England aboard the S.S. Manhattan in 1939, little Elizabeth saw Shirley Temple in The Little Princess and knew then and there her future occupation. “I don’t want to be a movie star,” proclaimed the seven year old. “I want to become an actress.”

The Taylors were given a letter of introduction to famed gossip columnist Hedda Hopper from their friend, Thelma Cazalet Keir. After making a stop at Francis Taylor’s Los Angeles art gallery, Hopper wrote of her visit in her column. There was a small mention of the future actress, but nothing came of it.

Complete strangers would often suggest that little Elizabeth, who looked like a young Vivien Leigh, should try her luck in pictures. While on a tour of the MGM lot with neighbour and MGM producer John Considine, Jr., studio head Louis B. Mayer wanted Elizabeth to sign a contract with the studio, but, for whatever reason, one was never drawn up. Not long after, Andrea Berens, a client of Francis Taylor’s and fiancée of Universal Pictures chairman and stockholder Cheever Cowdin, eargerly suggested that her fiancée take a look at Elizabeth. The two came to the Taylors house for tea, and Cowdin invited Sara and Elizabeth to come to Universal for a tour, with perhaps a screen test down the line. Soon after, Elizabeth did complete a screen test for Universal, and in April 1941 she was given a six month contract at $100 per week, with an option to renew.

When did Dame Elizabeth make her film debut?

Dame Elizabeth made her film debut in the 1942 Universal picture, There’s One Born Every Minute. It would be her only film for Universal before they dropped her after not knowing what to do with a child who looked older than her years.

When did Dame Elizabeth sign with MGM?

Elizabeth, who would have preferred to have signed with MGM over Universal anyway, would soon have her chance to work for the studio that had “More Stars than there are in the Heavens”. After the option on her contract was not picked up by Universal, MGM producer Sam Marx asked Elizabeth to audition for a role in Lassie Come Home. Marx, who had been an air-raid warden alongside Elizabeth’s father during World War II in Beverly Hills, remembered hearing about the beautiful aspiring actress, and thought she might be a good last minute replacement for the young girl who had grown too tall for the role. Elizabeth won the part, and the rest, as they say, is history.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    According to Wikipedia, she was still living in England when GWTW was being filmed, and she didn't come to the US until April 1939. She wasn't even signed to a major studio (Universal) until 1941. MGM first signed her in 1942.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    That's because it isn't true.

http://dameelizabethtaylor.com/faqs.html
    That's interesting. The reporter got it wrong then, since I did read it in one of the obits.

Nevertheless, it still is a shame she didn't do it! She would have been perfect for the part.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Personally, as much as I admire Hepburn, I always thought that she was a triumph of personality over part. No matter who she portrayed, you never forgot she was Kate. She was once quoted as saying, "She me an actress without a personality and I'll show you a woman who isn't a STAH! An actress' personality HAS to shine through.".
    And see, personally I disagree. You never forgot is was Kate playing a role, same with Cary Grant, and many others. They never really disappeared into the role the way Bette Davis and Meryl Streep do. That's why I'd put Bette Davis at the top of the list.

Not to say she wasn't a great actress, but I don't think the actor's personality should overshadow the character. JMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post

Westboro
    They are threatening to do so .... they also threatened to picket Natasha Richardson's funeral (and Heath Ledger's), but didn't do so.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/422482...entertainment/

vCash
    And see, personally I disagree. You never forgot is was Kate playing a role, same with Cary Grant, and many others. They never really disappeared into the role the way Bette Davis and Meryl Streep do.
    I've got three words for you: Eleanor of Aquitaine. If The Lion in Winter isn't a case of performance overshadowing personality, I don't know what is.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I've got three words for you: Eleanor of Aquitaine. If The Lion in Winter isn't a case of performance overshadowing personality, I don't know what is.
    Admittedly I've never seen that one. So I'll check it out.

4 More Years
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    ITA, one of my all time favorite movies and Kate was fantastic. I would say Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is one where her personality shone through, but I think it was still a tour de force performance.

vCash
    As for that list, I really don't know why Hepburn is #1. But that is JMHO.
    IMHO, the list is ridiculous! Such a list without Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor in the top-5? (I would have them as the top-2, with MM on top. But I LOVE me some MM!). And, no Gloria Swanson, Betty Grable or Lana Turner on the list?? Puh-lease!

vCash
    On GMA this morning, they showed film of a Barbara Walters interview with Dame Elizabeth. There was a short video summary of Taylor's husbands (and a fascinating summary of her jewels), and then Barbara asked Elizabeth about her relationship with Richard Burton. Ms. Taylor talked about the intense passion between them, and how they always needed to be touching each other. Barbara asked Elizabeth if Richard was the love of her life. Elizabeth paused and then said, "Mike and Richard were the loves of my life." It was so touching

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Speaking of her jewels...

Is it true she put in her will that on her death, the Prince of Wales feathers diamond brooch she bought through the Duchess of Windsor's Auction was to go to Charles?

I *know* I read that somewhere, but it's been such a long time ago, I don't remember where I read that.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yahoo is doing an article on Elizabeth Taylor's legendary eye color: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/shes-...taylor-eyes/59

I never did get it: all the pictures of her show a deep blue, a lovely vivid deep blue but not a hint of violet.

What gives?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I never did get it: all the pictures of her show a deep blue, a lovely vivid deep blue but not a hint of violet.

What gives?
    Ok, so it's not just me!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Ok, so it's not just me!
    I am just hoping there is an FSUer who'd met her in person and can testify. Or knows someone who'd met her.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yahoo is doing an article on Elizabeth Taylor's legendary eye color: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/shes-...taylor-eyes/59

What gives?
    I'd say it's more of an indigo color than an out and out blue or purple, they look gorgeous in this photo...

http://iamyouasheisme.files.wordpres...et-eyes-et.jpg

vCash
    I watched the Biography special on her tonight. What really struck me was her kindness to everyone. Her fierce devotion to friends. Her love of family. Her tireless crusading for AIDS victims when the rest of the world shunned them. A true Dame in every sense of the word and a beautiful woman inside and out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post

Westboro
    How incredibly Christian of them...

RIP, Ms. Taylor.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast