Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,489
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Russell Simmons thinks Chris Brown needs a life coach. I agree.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the rink of course!
    Posts
    3,214
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    830
    ^ or jail time to actually be held responsible for his actions...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

  3. #43
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    ^ Exactly.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    966
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Chris' explanation

    "I apologize, but... blah blah blah blah."

    In addition to a life coach, Chris Brown needs a good PR person and a better manager (sorry Mom, it seems like you failed as a manager and a mother).

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Not fair to immediately blame the parents for their children, especially adult children, actions.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3454
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Not fair to immediately blame the parents for their children, especially adult children, actions.
    Well, we've been told that Chris' Dad regularly beat his Mom. The cycle of abuse is very real, especially when it comes to domestic violence. Way too many studies have shown a ridiculously high connection between boys growing up with a physically abusive father and then becoming abusers themselves.

    Still, he's 21 now and he needs to take responsibility for his actions. I still don't think he's done any kind of public apology for his savage beating of Rihanna two years ago. If he's going to continue to be a public figure and ask people to forget the past and buy his shitty music, he needs to address and take total responsibility for the horrible, horrible thing he did. The most pathetic part is this general childish attitude that he's somehow the real victim here. (His new album is called Forgiving All My Enemies. Who exactly are these enemies?) At GMA, I didn't think Robin Roberts was rude at all; she was practically giggling through a few (two?) totally mild, sympathetic questions about the incident.

    The whole thing is disgusting. He's disgusting.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Fairfield, CA, USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    113
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What Chris Brown needs is someone to beat the proverbial and literal you-know-what out of him. How about Rihanna?

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,478
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    This just pisses me off. There are good, decent, hard-working people out there, with real accomplishments, contributions, and talent. And lately the only ones I see making tons of money and getting all the attention are thugs.

    I know intellectually it's not the case, and we only hear about the bad stuff. But our society is so fukced up.
    I Agree.

    Reality tv must play a part in all this. The ratings kind of show that we Americans sure love our train-wrecks! Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?

    Quote Originally Posted by RubyLaRhumba View Post
    I think Chris Brown spent a few years trying to make people believe he had changed & that his anger was a horrible one-shot instance. The GMA meltdown tells me he has learned nothing and that a timebomb is what he chooses to be.
    Seems like this sure is the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Russell Simmons thinks Chris Brown needs a life coach. I agree.
    I thought "Life Coaches" help someone figure out where they are going in their lives? IMO, he needs clinical treatment. Not cuz the court ordered it, but because he realizes his "issues" are dangerous to himself and others.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,489
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    I thought "Life Coaches" help someone figure out where they are going in their lives? IMO, he needs clinical treatment. Not cuz the court ordered it, but because he realizes his "issues" are dangerous to himself and others.
    Oh, I completely agree he needs some kind of clinical treatment or psychiatric help, and I also think he needs to be punished way more severely than he has.

    I took "life coach" to mean a mentor of some sort, some kind of positive influence that he could talk to and respect. I didn't mention this earlier, but Simmons said he was willing to be someone that Brown could talk to. I think it's a good idea. Simmons is a huge figure in the hip hop business and understands pressures of being in the spotlight and such. That may be a better relationship than a random psychiatrist that he can't connect with.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    7,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43592
    Rihanna is not exactly a role model, either. After the Chris Brown incident she has said in interviews that she likes "dangerous guys." And her new single is called S&M and includes the lyrics "sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me."
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Stop playing the blame the victim game. I don't care that Rihanna likes dangerous guy. I couldn't give a rat *ss that one of her songs has S&M lyrics. No one deserved to get her face smashed by anyone. Period.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    7,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43592
    I am not in any way saying that Rihanna deserved it. Nobody does. But she has implied, after the fact, that violence is attractive, and THAT is something that her younger fans are seeing and THAT is what I find troubling.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,260
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    I am not in any way saying that Rihanna deserved it. Nobody does. But she has implied, after the fact, that violence is attractive, and THAT is something that her younger fans are seeing and THAT is what I find troubling.
    Speaking as a fan of both Chris & Rihanna, you make a valid point. I also don't think that either of them set out to be "role models" for today's youth, but whether they like it or not, these music stars do pick up that label as part of the excess baggage of being celebrities in the U.S. Many, many people in the U.S. idolize these celebrities and build them up in their minds sometimes to be bigger than life. That has to be a huge pitfall in celebrity land when your job is to be an entertainer, yet many people view you as a hero/heroine. That's A LOT to live up to. They are real people with real life problems though, just like all of us. All that glitters isn't gold, as they say.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-25-2011 at 03:29 PM.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,006
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    I am not in any way saying that Rihanna deserved it. Nobody does. But she has implied, after the fact, that violence is attractive, and THAT is something that her younger fans are seeing and THAT is what I find troubling.
    How young must her fans be to be swayed by a song about S&M?

    It's really hard to say how much of an effect a single song (or any form of media) has on the rates of violence out there. There's a lot of factors - most people who consuming media with violence in it are intelligent enough to know that real life is different. S&M exists out there, but it isn't about relishing getting beaten unprovoked. You always have a right to say no if it gets too far.

  15. #55
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    Personally, and this is JMO, I think Life Coaches are useless.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  16. #56
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,987
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    40216
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Personally, and this is JMO, I think Life Coaches are useless.
    ITA.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,262
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ...No one deserved to get her face smashed by anyone. Period.
    Well duh! However, it's not "blaming the victim" to suggest that Rihanna, like many women, needs to leave the "bad boys" alone. She seems to have bought into the notion that "dangerous" guys are exciting and passionate while nice guys are dull. However, bad boys are more likely to fall short when it comes to matters such as as consideration, reliability, respect, and honesty. If Rihanna wants a boyfriend who treats her well, then she should avoid the bad boys and check out the nice guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    How young must her fans be to be swayed by a song about S&M?

    It's really hard to say how much of an effect a single song (or any form of media) has on the rates of violence out there. There's a lot of factors - most people who consuming media with violence in it are intelligent enough to know that real life is different...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    ...It's really hard to say how much of an effect a single song (or any form of media) has on the rates of violence out there. There's a lot of factors - most people who consuming media with violence in it are intelligent enough to know that real life is different...
    I'm not so sure. IMO, pop culture is a factor in women's attraction to "bad boys". Pop culture and even high culture are filled with stories of nice women who fall in love with unsuitable men. However, it was the Bronte sisters who introduced the unsuitable man who could be redeemed by the love of a good woman. Mr. Rochester in "Jane Eyre" anyone? Women ate it up and have been falling for it ever since. The "bad boy" as star-crossed lover of the "good girl" is a standard storyline in television soap operas as well. I suspect that teen girls watch these storylines play out and get swept up in the romance of it all without giving them much, if any, critical thought.
    Last edited by Civic; 03-25-2011 at 05:15 PM.

  18. #58

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    4,852
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13314
    I think both Rhianna and Chris Brown could use some anger management and some therapy. I agree that it's NEVER OK to do to a person what he did to Rhianna, but I also think it's never OK to attack a man, whether you can actually beat the living hell out of him or not. Violence never solves anything, whether you are the David or the Goliath in the fight. But, for all I know, Rhianna has had her anger management/therapy/whatever...I wouldn't know. His obviously didn't work.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,006
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I'm not so sure. IMO, pop culture is a factor in women's attraction to "bad boys". Pop culture and even high culture are filled with stories of nice women who fall in love with unsuitable men. However, it was the Bronte sisters who introduced the unsuitable man who could be redeemed by the love of a good woman. Mr. Rochester in "Jane Eyre" anyone? Women ate it up and have been falling for it ever since. The "bad boy" as star-crossed lover of the "good girl" is a standard storyline in television soap operas as well. I suspect that teen girls watch these storylines play out and get swept up in the romance of it all without giving them much, if any, critical thought.
    Sure, but how prevalent is the bad boy attraction really? We always hear about the horror stories but I'm sure most relationships are not like that at all. We should definitely prevent the instances of it happening now, but we shouldn't approach it like it's the default sort of relationship, because it's not.

    We don't need to tell people not to consume certain aspects of pop culture. All we need to do is teach people to be smart enough to interpret them in context.

  20. #60
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,987
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    40216
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Well duh! However, it's not "blaming the victim" to suggest that Rihanna, like many women, needs to leave the "bad boys" alone. She seems to have bought into the notion that "dangerous" guys are exciting and passionate while nice guys are dull. However, bad boys are more likely to fall short when it comes to matters such as as consideration, reliability, respect, and honesty. If Rihanna wants a boyfriend who treats her well, then she should avoid the bad boys and check out the nice guys.
    Wasn't Chris Brown considered one of the "nice guys" prior to the attack?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •