Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    According to Billboard, Chris Brown's album will debut at #1 next week--his first ever #1 debut. With the news of this melt down, the album will now probably set a record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    According to Billboard, Chris Brown's album will debut at #1 next week--his first ever #1 debut. With the news of this melt down, the album will now probably set a record.
    You really think more people will buy CB's album simply because he had a tandrum and smashed a window? I don't see that happening. This is not Charlie Sheen #2. CB's also supposed to be on the road promoting the cd, but I think his record company will have him lie low for a little bit. He's definitely not going to be granting interviews to the well-know mainstream presses for a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Open letter to GMA on the Chris Brown situation. Kinda funny.
    Great letter. I understand that the GMA anchor has some kind of personal relationship with Chris Brown and so while she was shocked at the tantrum, she is more likely to find ways to forgive him. But still, to invite him back to the show??? For what? So that we can talk it out and understand Chris' "feelings" and say, "Aww, maybe Chris isn't such a bad guy after all"? You missed that chance months ago. It's obvious that both GMA and Chris Brown just want to milk the publicity for all it's worth. GMA canceled Adam Lambert's appearance after the American Music Awards a few years ago for exhibiting gay sexual behavior on stage, but they welcome back Chris Brown, who punches women and throws chairs out of windows, repeatedly with open arms. Shaking my head.

vCash
    I was wondering if that was GMA that cancelled Adam. Don't kiss a guy, but you can beat the shit out of a woman, and that's fine.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I was wondering if that was GMA that cancelled Adam. Don't kiss a guy, but you can beat the shit out of a woman, and that's fine.

Really, GMA? Really?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash

Wow, I forgot about that! Absolutely infuriating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You really think more people will buy CB's album simply because he had a tandrum and smashed a window?
    I sure do. It's added publicity, and publicity brings interest. And, I do think this is Charlie Sheen in a way. Reportedly, many who had never seen his show watched it after the explosion of publicity to see what the fuss was about. Chris Brown's album already was going to debut at #1--a first for him. Why? Because the songs seem so great, or because of his now notorious image from beating Rihanna? This melt down only adds to that image.

vCash

Disgusting, ain't it?

vCash
    If I'm not mistaken, GMA had also scheduled Brown for an interview the week after Lambert's AMA performance, but since they were already getting flack for the cancellation, they switched Brown's interview to 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You really think more people will buy CB's album simply because he had a tandrum and smashed a window? I don't see that happening. This is not Charlie Sheen #2. CB's also supposed to be on the road promoting the cd, but I think his record company will have him lie low for a little bit. He's definitely not going to be granting interviews to the well-know mainstream presses for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I sure do. It's added publicity, and publicity brings interest. And, I do think this is Charlie Sheen in a way. Reportedly, many who had never seen his show watched it after the explosion of publicity to see what the fuss was about. Chris Brown's album already was going to debut at #1--a first for him. Why? Because the songs seem so great, or because of his now notorious image from beating Rihanna? This melt down only adds to that image.
    I agree with duane. For example, I didn't even know that Chris Brown was releasing an album until I read the articles of him breaking windows at a promo interview for his new album. At this point, I have two pieces of information: Chris Brown still has major temper issues and is still immature, and he is also coming out with new music. I'm not a fan of Chris' music but if I were or had been a former fan and then had read that article, I may go check out some songs just to see if the album was even any good or if he's just an all-around fool.

I hate to continue the Adam and Chris comparison (because I love Adam and only America would consider what he did a controversy while Brown's actions are shameful in most parts of the world), but he also had an album drop right afterward, and the resulting publicity from the AMAs most definitely helped introduce him to a larger audience who had never heard of him before and also became an opportunity for that audience to check out his music. His record company sent him to a lot of interviews to make up for the cancellations (which were more than just GMA) and perform to bring it back to the music. If I were a record company and money was my only focus, I would do that with Chris Brown too, because to lie low means that people forget and are just left with a lingering bad impression. Not what you want with an album and artist that could potentially make you a lot of money.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I don't think it was about merely kissing a guy for Adam. I saw his performance and it left a bad taste in my mouth. If he had just kissed a guy it would have been non issue for me. But he was trying to be outrageous on purpose. The worst part was for me was him faking fingering a woman. I mean, come on. Do I need to see that on stage? No.

I hated it how they explained the whole controversy by people being homophobic. Instead of wooing people with his voice, Adam decided to be be memorable by being outrageous. To blame the negative feedback on him being gay is a cop-out.

I'm sure some people were outraged because he kissed a guy. But to see how many and how much, do just that and nothing else. I know I've never seen anyone else faking fingering a woman in a concert on national TV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I don't think it was about merely kissing a guy for Adam. I saw his performance and it left a bad taste in my mouth. If he had just kissed a guy it would have been non issue for me. But he was trying to be outrageous on purpose. The worst part was for me was him faking fingering a woman. I mean, come on. Do I need to see that on stage? No.

I hated it how they explained the whole controversy by people being homophobic. Instead of wooing people with his voice, Adam decided to be be memorable by being outrageous. To blame the negative feedback on him being gay is a cop-out.

I'm sure some people were outraged because he kissed a guy. But to see how many and how much, do just that and nothing else. I know I've never seen anyone else faking fingering a woman in a concert on national TV.
    ITA. But, having said that, I still think what Chris Brown did was far more offensive. Not just with Rhianna, but losing it after the interview, smashing the window, and essentially committing a criminal act.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I know this is petty - but from the picture it would appear that Chris Brown has a shrug tattooed onto him. That's just weird
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash

We're not debating how people felt about Adam's performance though. What he did was very controversial in this country, divided a lot of his fans, and also was technically against FCC rules. This is a fact. He was punished for said performance by being canceled on GMA, Jimmy Kimmel Live, and Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. Okay. As much as I love Adam, he had it coming.

Chris Brown gets angry that the reporter asked him about him beating Rihanna even though he was informed of what topics would be brought up before hand, throws a tantrum in the green room, and smashes a window, sending glass down onto the sidewalk below where it could have potentially hurt passerbys. However, Chris Brown gets invited back to the show and the reporter "absolutely wishes him the best"! WTF??? I think the posters were expressing their dislike for GMA's crazy double standard.

By the way, Brown apologized for the incident. There are also rumors that his upcoming appearance on Dancing With the Stars may get canceled.

And also, I guarantee you that Adam's performance would never have gotten the amount of publicity or outrage if it weren't for the gay parts. That's what ABC both cut away from and censored when they realized what he was doing, which then signaled to everyone watching on TV that what he was doing was not acceptable for viewing. That's what CBS censored when they interviewed him the next day. Homophobia is absolutely what made that controversy a controversy, and it's not a cop-out to say so, IMO. That's the last I'll say about this as it's getting off-topic for this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    ITA. But, having said that, I still think what Chris Brown did was far more offensive. Not just with Rhianna, but losing it after the interview, smashing the window, and essentially committing a criminal act.
    That goes without saying, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Homophobia is absolutely what made that controversy a controversy, and it's not a cop-out to say so, IMO.
    So you think if he had done all those things to women only, there would not have been a controversy? The only controversial part was him kissing a guy? If so, I don't agree.

Displaying such overly sexual behavior on stage on national TV would be still controversial, no matter what genders the people involved were. It's not like it was the first controversy ever.

I'm not homophobic, nor am I a prude and I think simulating fingering someone on stage on national TV is way over the top. There is a place and time for everything. That wasn't it.

vCash
    So you think if he had done all those things to women only, there would not have been a controversy? The only controversial part was him kissing a guy? If so, I don't agree.

Displaying such overly sexual behavior on stage on national TV would be still controversial, no matter what genders the people involved were. It's not like it was the first controversy ever.

I'm not homophobic, nor am I a prude and I think simulating fingering someone on stage on national TV is way over the top. There is a place and time for everything. That wasn't it.
    PM-ing you. In short, I think there would have been a minor controversy, but nothing like the attention that it did receive.

vCash
    I think Chris Brown spent a few years trying to make people believe he had changed & that his anger was a horrible one-shot instance. The GMA meltdown tells me he has learned nothing and that a timebomb is what he chooses to be.

vCash

I can understand taking issue with such an overtly sexual performance, and I don't think you are homophobic. But aside from you, I think there is a double standard, somewhat. There have been other performances that have run the raunchy gamut, and while some may have complained, I don't remember there being *quite* the fallout as there was with Adam's AMA performance. I'm thinking of Madonna at the VMAs where she kissed both Britney and Christina. Maybe that slipped by because it's what we expect from Madonna? It wouldn't be her first provocative performance, for sure. Britney herself has raised various eye brows over the years, as well.

Maybe Adam's AMA performance ranked too high on the raunch-o-meter and that's why he faced such consequences. Maybe I don't remember Madonna being dropped from future appearances for that specific VMA piece. (I know she has for other situations, such as her Like A Prayer video) But I don't know, it seems like there was a bit more to Adam being cancelled than an explicitly sexual performance.

This whole forgiveness of Chris Brown while others are condemned for less makes me angry. Kanye continues to receive more flack for an incredibly rude and obnoxious moment that really didn't hurt Taylor Swift (or her career), while convicted abuser Chris Brown is invited a number of public performances. Here's hoping Rihanna's career continues to out pace his.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    There have been other performances that have run the raunchy gamut, and while some may have complained, I don't remember there being *quite* the fallout as there was with Adam's AMA performance. I'm thinking of Madonna at the VMAs where she kissed both Britney and Christina. Maybe that slipped by because it's what we expect from Madonna? It wouldn't be her first provocative performance, for sure. Britney herself has raised various eye brows over the years, as well.
    Madonna's "raunchy" performances were done on MTV, a paid cable show. She wouldn't have gotten away with some of her acts if she did them on one of the major networks and did it as a total surprise to the people involved in producing the shows on the networks.

vCash

I just looked this up on youtube as I had not heard about it and I wouldn't have known he'd kissed a guy if it wasn't for the commentary - it was quite a long shot when he started kissing the person and I had no idea what sex the person was just from watching.

I also missed the fake fingering a woman. As to whether it's been done before or not, does Madonna doing it to herself during "like a virgin" on the blonde ambition tour count?

The most offensive thing about Adam Lambert is the oompla loompa orange skin
    Last edited by antmanb; 03-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast