Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    You can find used copies pretty cheap, and they are quick reads, so it wouldn't be a great investment to see if you like the first one.
    Don't forget about the library! They'll have the older books in a series and if you like them, then you can buy the newer ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Hello and thanks again!

I just realized going through my LibraryThing that I've read the first of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series - Bitten. I don't remember why I stopped there though, but maybe it was the werewolf thing. I read a bunch on the same theme and might have gotten tired of the "alpha male behaviour", LOL. I did enjoy the canadian setting though. I'll try them again.

I've never heard of Madelyn Alt's Bewitching series or that Nora Roberts had a witches trilogy. I'll check them out.
    I didn't like the werewolf ones in that series either...the wtch themed books were much better...

vCash
    I would suggest Southern Witch Series by Kimberly Frost. It is a paranormal romance(yes, that is a genre) but I just love the lead heroine, Tammy Jo. It's witty and good witch series. It's on going and the third book was released in January.

Book 1, Would-Be Witch
    Book 2, Barely Bewitched
    Book 3, Halfway Hexed

Another series is Elemental Assasins by Jennifer Estep. It is a violent series but the books are so well written and there is nothing weak about the lead character, Gin Blanco. Gin is probably the strongest female lead character I've read since Anita Blake. Quote about the series from the author's website.

The Elemental Assassin books are set in the fictional Southern metropolis of Ashland, where Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina meet in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains. The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who runs a barbecue restaurant called the Pork Pit in her spare time. Gin is also n elemental or person who can control one of the four elements – Air, Fire, Ice, and Stone. Gin has the rare gift of being able to control two elements, Ice and Stone in her case. Besides elementals like Gin, Ashland is also home to giants, dwarves, and vampires.
    I started the series on audiobook last year and fell in love with the series.

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
    Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
    Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)

Another Assassin series that is really really good, Sabrina Kane series by Jaye Wells. Sabrina is assassin but she's half vampire and half mage which are mortal enemies in the book. So Sabrina has had a hard existence and she's considered an outsider on both communities.

Book 1, Red-Headed Stepchild
    Book 2, A Mage In Black
    Book 3, Green Eyed Demon.

I couldn't get into the Kelley Armstrong books. Funny how you read a werewolf series and didn't like alpha male thing(that's the whole werewolf culture/pack thing). I like a strong female lead, maybe that's why I don't read too many werewolf series, except for Kitty Norville.
    Last edited by topaz; 03-29-2011 at 03:37 AM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    Don't forget about the library! They'll have the older books in a series and if you like them, then you can buy the newer ones.
    I love browsing the library for new authors and series. The only drawback is that a given branch might not have the entire series on their shelves, but you can often "reserve" the missing novels from another branch and pick up it locally.

vCash
    I love the library's "reserve" option - that way I can afford to try tons of different authors, including the great suggestions I've gotten here.

I've now started Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson. It's not bad, but so far it's pretty "witch light" and has tons (read too many) werewolves for my taste...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12