Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Im trying not to gett too excited here but when the president and sport minister of one of the biggest skating countries are stating via national TV that they will handle all the expenses (read as "we will lose the money for you Ottavio"), I believe is a big no brainer for the ISU now.

vCash
    I agree. I think Russia's all but got this one in the bag now. I'm just glad someone has chosen to step up and allow Worlds to go on. Kudos to the Russians.

Quadless
    vCash
    I think Russia would be the right choice, but I'm not terribly thrilled about it conflicting with Governing Council (for non-US posters - major convention for US Figure Skating). There better be wireless access in the meeting rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Obama is at war right now somehow I don't think figure skating is on the radar for him.
    Pfft. The man needs to get his priorities straight. Skating first. All else second.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    So arrive a day earlier

Is it any easier the other direction?
    My point is that a day is shot, leaving a bad feeling. Who wants to spend a day of his vacation pounding the hallways of a dark, creepy government office building...even AFTER having entered the country with your visa? For entry into the USA, the hassle occurs in the US consulate of your hometown/coountry, before you ever get on a plane. Once you enter the US with your visa, it's off to the hotel and a relaxing vacation!

Regardless of this hassle....what matters most is that there will be a Worlds 2011 and Moscow is a great skating city. The local fans will be out there in full force and we will be delighted to cheer the skaters from home, via computer or TV.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

DAISUKE!!!!!!!!!!
    vCash
    Does anybody know if there are any other big sporting events that Eurosport may have contracts with during that proposed week in April?

Giro d'Italia and French Open which will be aired in full on Eurosport don't start until May 7th and May 17th respectively. Thank goodness.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I think Russia would be the right choice, but I'm not terribly thrilled about it conflicting with Governing Council (for non-US posters - major convention for US Figure Skating).
    I forgot about that! 2011 Governing Council dates are April 27-30 in Lombard, Illinois.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by itsartemis View Post
    Does anybody know if there are any other big sporting events that Eurosport may have contracts with during that proposed week in April?

Giro d'Italia and French Open which will be aired in full on Eurosport don't start until May 7th and May 17th respectively. Thank goodness.
    the italian eurosport commentator told me there *shouldn't* be problems regarding the broadcast
    CaroFan™

vCash
    I appreciate Putin and Russians so much.
    I'd be happy to give a bronze medal to Bobrova & Solobiev as long as he doesn't feck up his twizzle.

vCash
    Phil Hersh's latest full blog-article here:
    http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...globetrotting/

He asks: Is Vlad going to impale another big sports event for Russia?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by itsartemis View Post

Championship Tiddlywinks?
    Darts?
    Snooker?

Who knows - with the amount of crap they have on Eurosport, they have managed to fill the skating slots pretty quickly (given the time difference I suspect most of the action would have been highlight anyway), so i'm sure they can clear some of their schedule for figure skating. Not sure about "live" but certainly highlights.

vCash
    Vlad, you sly old fox...

vCash
    I suspect ISU Governing Council meeting will be rescheduled if Moscow gets the Worlds.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Phil Hersh's latest full blog-article here:
    http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...globetrotting/

He asks: Is Vlad going to impale another big sports event for Russia?
    Not a nice title Phil, you should remember Vlad the Impaler didn't take kindly to insults
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Frau Muller, I don't know why/how/when you had to go through that hassle in Russia. I know it's not the easiest country to get into, but I have a few Russian visas in my passport, and I never stayed in an expensive hotel, and I never had to go through what you described... And in any case, I'm sure all skaters + officials + journalists would be staying in hotels big enough to be able to handle the "registration" process.

Again, I'm not saying it's all a piece of cake (and I'm hoping that the current talks between Russia and the EU to get rid of visas will be successful), and I'm concerned about the issue too, but please don't make it sound like it's 1000x worse than it actually is.
    Last edited by Celine82; 03-22-2011 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I forgot about that! 2011 Governing Council dates are April 27-30 in Lombard, Illinois.
    Oh no! Yet another constraint!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    I suspect ISU Governing Council meeting will be rescheduled if Moscow gets the Worlds.
    It's the U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council, not the ISU Governing Council. I doubt it would be rescheduled for Worlds if they were in Moscow. However, it might have to be rescheduled if Worlds were in the U.S. on those dates (which would make things even more complicated). Does anyone know if those are the same dates in the bid that Colorado Springs and Lake Placid put forward?

vCash
    My point is that a day is shot, leaving a bad feeling. Who wants to spend a day of his vacation pounding the hallways of a dark, creepy government office building...even AFTER having entered the country with your visa? For entry into the USA, the hassle occurs in the US consulate of your hometown/coountry, before you ever get on a plane. Once you enter the US with your visa, it's off to the hotel and a relaxing vacation!.
    I'm not a US citizen, but I had my visa within a week (ok Russian consulate is 2.5hrs away from home, but it's near the beach so I made it like a trip ) and when I came to Russia, my hotel could validate the visa.
    It's not as easy as a trip anywhere else, but it's not that bad either.
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    It's the U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council, not the ISU Governing Council. I doubt it would be rescheduled for Worlds if they were in Moscow. However, it might have to be rescheduled if Worlds were in the U.S. on those dates (which would make things even more complicated). Does anyone know if those are the same dates in the bid that Colorado Springs and Lake Placid put forward?
    Thanks, I got confused.
    As far as I am aware, nobody seen or confirmed the official bids for USA and Finland. Only Russian officials confirmed that the bid went out with specific dates April 24-May 1 and location Moscow's MEGASPORT.
    I would like USFS to confirm their submission with details.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I appreciate Putin and Russians so much.
    Here, here. All hail Mother Russia.

I'm so excited. It looks like we're going to get Worlds for sure. And in a timely fashion.

vCash
    If you try to stay with friends (a 'home stay') you are almost treated like criminal, having to register with the OVIR (immigrations police) within 48 hours of arrival -- usually taking a full day of bribing your way from office to office, so forget seeing any skating on that day.
    When was the last time you went to Russia?
    You don't need to go to OVIR. You can register at any post office.
    Read more here.
    Usually it takes me about 15-30 min to register my friends (but they take and fill out foreigner registration form in advance)

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast