Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    its nice that Halifax is interested but to get to Halifax from Europe will require a connection either in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, or New York, while getting there from Asia will require you to connect in Vancouver if the airlines doesn't fly to Toronto. and this doesn't include the intra-asia, intra-europe connection that some skaters may take. but will see.

question regarding the US bid, will the USFSA be submitting both Colorado Springs and Lake Placid? or will they enter both locations depending on the ammendable dates?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    its nice that Halifax is interested but to get to Halifax from Europe will require a connection either in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, or New York, while getting there from Asia will require you to connect in Vancouver if the airlines doesn't fly to Toronto. and this doesn't include the intra-asia, intra-europe connection that some skaters may take. but will see.
    Well if you go through Iceland from Europe and use Icelandair (one of the Icelandic airlines) you can go straight to Halifax.

vCash
    I believe and hope we might be past of "expression of interest" and enquiries stage, as mere hours left till we know the final list of all submitted official bids.

vCash
    they did say they hope to name a venue by either thursday or friday. the evaluation commission will certaianly be losing sleep within the next few days.

vCash
    VLADIMIR PUTIN:
    "We are ready to host Worlds 2011..... If ISU want us to. .....This event is relatively inexpensive and we can easily cover those costs."
    http://www.championat.ru/other/_skat...ws-765436.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    Halifax has non stop flights to Heathrow, as well as Boston, New York, Newark, Washington, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

The world managed to get there in 1990...

The biggest drawback is that the whole events business in Halifax is in a shambles with the scandal over concert promotion.

vCash
    I have noticed that the Finnish Figure Skating Association is not very eager to get the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maija View Post
    I have noticed that the Finnish Figure Skating Association is not very eager to get the competition.
    Yes, they say that the initiative was not theirs, but OTOH, they are appealing.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skoppa View Post
    Well if you go through Iceland from Europe and use Icelandair (one of the Icelandic airlines) you can go straight to Halifax.
    They don't start flying to Halifax until June 2. Otherwise it would have been a great option and it's a nice easy flight from Keflavik to Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Halifax has non stop flights to Heathrow, as well as Boston, New York, Newark, Washington, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

The world managed to get there in 1990...

The biggest drawback is that the whole events business in Halifax is in a shambles with the scandal over concert promotion.

Exactly. Halifax isn't hard to get to, plenty of options. Most people, wherever this is held, will have to transfer somewhere.

Having said that most flights from NA will land in Europe in the morning so your connection options are greater vs flights from Europe that land in NA in the evening which *might* result in missed connections.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    I don't think connections are an issue for anyone. That is pretty normal whenever anyone travels. It's a moot point.

I think Halifax would be a great option...It's a smaller rink - won't be so difficult to fill etc, and there are lots of fans around here who would be eager to get there... I for one would be buying my tickets right away!!

Go Halifax!!!

Plus - Halifax is coming off a really strong Canada Games performance, so they already would have a lot of access to volunteers/workers/organizers etc...

vCash
    that Putin think worlds is "relatively inexpensive".

vCash
    Phil's overnight blog...finally cutting the ISU some slack while maintaining his 'hot line' with Speedy:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...medium=twitter
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    that Putin think worlds is "relatively inexpensive".
    Actually it's peanuts for him!

vCash
    In the end, though, the ISU appears on the brink of finding someone to get ready in about a month for an event most organizers take two or three years to prepare
    So where are these super-humans coming from (maybe The Visitors or those aliens on The Event will come to our aid lol) that can do in about a month what most organizers take 2 to 3 years to prepare? If the event is held, I have the uneasy feeling it is going to be one big mess. For the skaters and the fans, I hope not.

OT We had a small quake in South Carolina yesterday (less than 3), but I can tell you Japan flashing before my eyes put a real scare in me.
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-22-2011 at 12:44 PM.

vCash
    He needs to get his facts right - world were in Halifax in 1990. I personally would rather see Halifax than Vancouver (too many big events lately, although the base would be there to pull the event off rather easily, I would think) or Toronto area (too many big events, and worlds in London in 2 years). My dream would be Winnipeg...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    They don't start flying to Halifax until June 2. Otherwise it would have been a great option and it's a nice easy flight from Keflavik to Halifax.
    Sorry did not see that when I cheeked the schedule

vCash
    Correction: The Finnish Federation has not applied yet, they are just checking the possibilities. They have been less enthusiastic today than they were yesterday, so let´s see if they apply at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Actually it's peanuts for him!
    I'm glad that's all he has to worry about is hosting worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I'm glad that's all he has to worry about is hosting worlds.

He has spared one sentence to support Russia's bid for the Worlds and this is your conclusion?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Springs a candidate for displaced figure skating worlds - some details re arena size, and hotel accommodation, etc.
    http://www.gazette.com/sports/worlds...rld-arena.html
    Thanks for the link.

I did a little 'snoopin' around' and discovered that ALL rooms at the Broadmoor have been tentatively reserved -- off the market -- during the following weeks:

April 18/24
    April 25/May 1
    May 2/8

Maybe there's something else going on at the Broadmoor those weeks?

There still are plenty of rooms to be reserved at the more modest motels/hotels near the World Arena, with the Hampton Inn & Suites being particularly well-priced at $86/night on Hotels.com. (wink)

For fans living in the Washington, DC, area - Did you know that there is a daily non-stop flight on United between IAD (Dulles Airport) and Colorado Springs? Niiiice!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast