Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Have any interviewers asked Cinquanta if the skaters for Worlds could change due to the later time frame? A number of posters are thinking that skaters who were injured and now recovered may get a shot at going which would effectively remove a skater who was due to skate on the original date.

vCash
    That's question for Skating Federations not for Cinquanta?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    Regrettably, I don't think so. They are hosting a Junior Grand Prix event in Brisbane later this year though. They hosted Junior Worlds in 1988 and 1996. They really should bid for Four Continents and Junior Worlds again in the future. I don't think Australia gets a lot of events because it's just so geographically distant from everywhere; far from Europe, North America, and Asia. Also, the Australian federation probably still remembers the 2000 worlds incident and may be reluctant to bid for any big events as a result. However, Australia's influence will get stronger because now they have their own Susan Lynch on the ISU singles/pairs technical committee, a great achievement considering there is no Canadian or Japanese representative on that committee.
    What happened with Worlds in 2000?
    I know they were first assigned to Australia and then relocated in Nice, but never knew the reason of it

vCash
    It seems now that Cinquanta suggests that the 2012 Worlds would be moved from France to Japan... Gailhaguet says that they gave great symphaty for the Japanese Federation and trust the ISU to make the right decisions. What a domino this will finally be, wow!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    It seems now that Cinquanta suggests that the 2012 Worlds would be moved from France to Japan...
    Do you have a source for that? And when would France get their chance to host Worlds? In 2013 and then Canada gets 2014?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Do you have a source for that? And when would France get their chance to host Worlds? In 2013 and then Canada gets 2014?
    The source is a letter from the French Federation/Nicholas Beudelin to the press. It is only in French, and it does not say if the Worlds 2012, will be moved from France to Japan, only that it is a suggestion.

vCash
    The source is a letter from the French Federation/Nicholas Beudelin to the press. It is only in French, and it does not say if the Worlds 2012, will be moved from France to Japan, only that it is a suggestion.
    The letter can also be read on the FFSG website.

The politkking going on right now must be epic.

vCash
    Skate Canada has already rejected that suggestion once.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    Skate Canada has already rejected that suggestion once.
    Surely it's up to the ISU, and not Skate Canada to make that decision. Obviously it would be wonderful to Japan to be able to have Worlds next year, but it wouldn't be fair if as a consequence France lost out on their chance to host. Moving everything back a year would make the most sense in my opinion.

vCash
    Surely it's up to the ISU, and not Skate Canada to make that decision. Obviously it would be wonderful to Japan to be able to have Worlds next year, but it wouldn't be fair if as a consequence France lost out on their chance to host. Moving everything back a year would make the most sense in my opinion.
    So it's probably most fair to give Japan the next available year, which is 2014. My understanding is that (a) the post Olympic Worlds is least desirable and (b) the pre-Olympic Worlds is most desirable, so it definitely seems a snide suggestion on Didier's part to get the 2013 worlds for himself, while sticking a shiv in an old rival. If he really wants to be altruistic, he can give up 2012 and take the next avaliable one, in 2014. Wanna wager on the likelihood of that?

Given that Canada's last two worlds were the pre and post Olympic ones (2001, 2006), I'm somewhat surprised that the country didn't get 2012.

And given that the ISU had to wait for Japan to give up the 2011 worlds before soliciting bids to hold another one, what makes you think that the ISU would override Canada in these circumstances? SC would take the ISU to the Court of Abritration for sports so quickly it would make your head spin.

vCash
    The most sense - to give Japan 2014 WCh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by akkto View Post
    I know they were first assigned to Australia and then relocated in Nice, but never knew the reason of it
    ISU switched because of problems with broadcasting rights.
    Australian television networks are much more interested in acquiring rights to cricket, tennis and rugby league than figure skating. The ISU said it was unable to agree to suitable technical and financial terms with TV companies in Australia to act as host broadcasters. Ottavio Cinquanta, the ISU president, has said the Australian organizers did not respect their commitments with regard to television contracts.
    It seems now that Cinquanta suggests that the 2012 Worlds would be moved from France to Japan... Gailhaguet says that they gave great symphaty for the Japanese Federation and trust the ISU to make the right decisions. What a domino this will finally be, wow!
    I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. Didier is still at it in his quest for 2013 worlds. If the ISU is so eager to give Japan worlds, give them 2014. Don't rearrange all the previously allotted venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    [snip] so it definitely seems a snide suggestion on Didier's part to get the 2013 worlds for himself, while sticking a shiv in an old rival. If he really wants to be altruistic, he can give up 2012 and take the next avaliable one, in 2014. Wanna wager on the likelihood of that?
    That's exactly what Didier should do if he's so eager to give Japan 2012 worlds. If the ISU were to suggest that, Didier would withdraw his original "solution" so fast.

And given that the ISU had to wait for Japan to give up the 2011 worlds before soliciting bids to hold another one, what makes you think that the ISU would override Canada in these circumstances? SC would take the ISU to the Court of Abritration for sports so quickly it would make your head spin.
    SC would be very upset if Didier's "empathetic" suggestion was followed (I would personally be very upset if Canada was pushed to 2014 worlds instead of 2013).
    Last edited by a56; 03-23-2011 at 12:35 PM.

vCash

I guess noone has posted a link to this article yet:
    http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Fin.../1135264815751

This interview was done *before* Finland named Turku as the candidate. Susanna Rahkamo has also hinted in other interviews that the idea of Finland hosting Worlds originated from "outside the Finnish Figure Skating Association". :

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    Don't know when, but definitely in Russia.

vCash
    The French Press Release also indicates that the suggestion came from the French Federation and they don't ask for a replacement date for their worlds and instead just say that they are certain that the ISU will find the best solution for 2011 and the years that follow.

Considering though that the French have already publicly tried to grab 2013, I don't think anyone won't see through this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by akkto View Post
    I posted this article link in one of the earlier threads: http://www.cbssports.com/u/ce/multi/...2422_7,00.html

vCash
    The Canadian fans don't want to give up the "best" Worlds in the Olympic cycle, the Europeans fans wouldn't want to be stuck with the "worst" for 2 cycles in a row. The best solution is to give Japan 2014, but if they do decide to give Japan 2012, I would rather see France and Canada stay in that order, but be moved back by a year each, rather than Fracne getting 2014 as prize for giving up 2012. Maybe I just think about what I can watch, but North America fans have got much better deal with hosting worlds than anyone else recently!

vCash
    Considering that the nuclear situation possibly will take a long time to recover I can't see Japan. I think the next opportunity should be after the next Olympics.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Well, now that it is AM in North America and PM in Europe, our daily Worlds status updates from Mr. Hersh are up and running :

@olyphil
    It's 2:42 pm in Switzerland, but ballots not yet out to ISU Council members for vote on world figs sub host.
    http://twitter.com/olyphil/status/50548250129874944

vCash

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast