Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash
    Moscow and Vancouver are the only acceptable options from that list. Lake Placid is way too remote, Colorado Springs is at altitude and also not that easy to get to from outside U.S. While I'm sure the Finnish, Croatian and Austrian feds applied in good faith, I doubt whether they'd be able to organise such a large event in such a short time.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    And don't you forget Taiwan. To think that I blindedly believed Japan and Taiwan had more or less cordial relationship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    According to Russian Figure Skating federation, its 25/04-01/05.
    http://www.championat.ru/other/news-765546.html

Anyway, one-two day does not break it
    So, IF Russia does host Worlds from Apr. 25-May 5th, one has to wonder which skaters will be on the ice competing during the wedding of Prince William and Kate on April 29th?

TV and online viewership could take quite a hit on that day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I am not either, and I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the other Russian posters aside from SUN are more than a little bit annoyed at the implications some posters have been throwing around.
    Yeah. We figure skating fans should be grateful to any nation willing to take on this worlds. This worlds is going to be a headache and a lot of the benefits that come with hosting worlds aren't even going to be there. For a lot of the smaller federations, that's why I question them holding it.

Whatever the Russians reason, I think its great that they seem to be looking at hosting worlds an opportunity rather than a burden. And if they can find someway for it to benefit them, more power to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    So, IF Russia does host Worlds from Apr. 25-May 5th, one has to wonder which skaters will be on the ice competing during the wedding of Prince William and Kate on April 29th?

Snooze-inducing, long, boring wedding vs Figure skating

Not a difficult choice.

vCash
    We're putting out the whole wedding broadcast on DVD. For those of you in North America who are truly conflicted, snuggle up and maybe I can hook ya up

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Snooze-inducing, long, boring wedding vs Figure skating

Not a difficult choice.
    Really. Not a problem for me unless V/T have been invited to skate.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash

Perhaps this would be a good time for the Ladies SP?

vCash
    This might end up more exciting and unpredicatble Worlds in recent history due to the situation that affected athletes preparation.

vCash

There really is no choice...I won't be watching the wedding even if skating isn't on. So I'll defintely be watching skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    Perhaps this would be a good time for the Ladies SP?

I suspect it will be the ladies SP going on during the wedding. Which is more than fine by me.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Maybe JRo will reinstate quickly and do her program wearing the wedding dress-like skating costume.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Glad to see so many bids for Worlds, but I'm another who thinks Moscow is going to take it.

Dumb question, but I have never even heard of Graz or Turku. Are these big cities? Have they ever hosted any international figure skating events? I know Zagreb hosts the Golden Spin of Zagreb annually and has/will host Europeans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Dumb question, but I have never even heard of Graz or Turku. Are these big cities? Have they ever hosted any international figure skating events? I know Zagreb hosts the Golden Spin of Zagreb annually and has/will host Europeans.
    Graz, Austria hosted a 2010 Junior Grand Prix event.
    Zagreb, Croatia hosted 2008 Europeans, 2004 and 2009 Synchonized Skating Worlds, and will host 2013 Europeans.
    Turku, Finland hosted 2010-2011 Finnish Nationals, but I'm unsure about international events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Dude's a dame.
    Or as Aerosmith might put it: Dude looks like a lady!!

vCash
    Graz, Austria hosts a Senior B (Ice Challenge) and also a JGP. I don't recall offhand if any internationals have been held in Turku, Finland (site of 2011 Finnish Nationals).

Vancouver Sun article: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pac...877/story.html
    But both CEO William Thompson and B.C. Division president Ted Barton said they don’t expect to be awarded the event, which was scheduled for Tokyo this week but cancelled because of the devastation in Japan that followed the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
    Said Barton: “We supporting the ISU in this difficult time by saying, ‘we’re here for you, if you need it.’ ”
    Barton said his “best guess” is that Russia will get the 2011 event.

“The next Olympics are there, and in Russia they’ve got the capability to react quickly. Need a hotel? Cleared. Rink? You’re out.”

The Russians have proposed April 24-May 1. Skate Canada said the [Pacific] Coliseum could be available April 18-24 or May 16-22.

vCash
    Perhaps, I am mistaken about this, but if Moscow is chosen won't more of us at least be able to watch the competition on the internet.

As of early Wednesday, Canada moved into the lead on the Facebook poll, by a few percentage points. .
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-23-2011 at 04:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

Turku used to be the capital of Finland at the time Finland was regimed by the Swedes, before 1809. Is has hosted Ice Hockey Worlds before, but I seriously doubt the hotel capacities. It is a nice town, though, but the rink is quite far away from the city centre. The smaller Kupittaa rink, where the 2011 nationals took place, rink is too small for these championships.

I guess Finland is not a real option. And Lepistö & her coach are propably waiting for the confirmation of the time of WC before making any decisions. They have not talked to Finnish media yet.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    My heart skipped a beat when I clicked on that link and saw Pluschenko

Please don't let a Pluschenko reinstatement be a thank you to Russia for hosting this event
    It shouldn't be. I think he should be reinstated independently of what happens with these Worlds.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 03-23-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    In the case that Lepisto has been training and recovered enough to do so, can Lepisto just decide she wants to do Worlds? Would the Finnish Federation allow her to do so if she decides she's ready?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast