Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    Thanks, I got confused.
    dates April 24-May 1 and location Moscow's MEGASPORT.
    Hersh reports these dates though:
    April 25 - May 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    Hersh reports these dates though:
    April 25 - May 4.
    According to Russian Figure Skating federation, its 25/04-01/05.
    http://www.championat.ru/other/news-765546.html

Anyway, one-two day does not break it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexxandra View Post
    When was the last time you went to Russia?
    You don't need to go to OVIR. You can register at any post office.
    Read more here.
    Usually it takes me about 15-30 min to register my friends (but they take and fill out foreigner registration form in advance)
    Last summer. I spend summers with my husband's family in Ryazan', a largeish city 100km south of Moscow. I am married to a Russian. I always have to go through "OVIR Day" at the start of my vacations...and it ain't pretty. But we already know the babushkas who have to be given boxes of chocolates & flowers to expedite matters. We usually take the train to Sochi for 2 weeks by the sea but my vacations always begin & end in Ryazan' and that's where I have to register at the OVIR because my husband's family's house is there. (They sponsor my visa.)

Remember -- I get a home stay visa, not a tourist visa.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 03-22-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    it took me about 3 weeks for me to get a visa back in 2004, but it was a group trip for students and we were about 30 people, plus maybe I had a home stay visa too, as I was staying at a friend's house.

Well it should be easier now. There are cheap flights from Milan, I think aereoflot.
    I suddenly miss Russia
    CaroFan™

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Remember -- I get a home stay visa, not a tourist visa.
    But I expect that won't be the case for most people going to watch worlds, so they won't have these difficulties. You are making it sound needlessly complicated! If you remember back to the Champions League Final in Moscow a couple of years ago, the Manchester United and Chelsea fans could use their match tickets as their visa, so the Russian authorities have experience with quickly making arrangements for many people entering the country to watch a sporting event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    But I expect that won't be the case for most people going to watch worlds, ....
    I know. Most people who go to Worlds from other countries seem to go in tour groups. The tour directors handle everything. In the case of independent travelers, they usually are wealthy enough to not mind pre-paying $2,000+ for a 10-day stay in a Moscow Hotel, to be able to obtain the voucher that will allow one to apply for a visa.

If I go to Moscow or St Pete (which I do quite a bit, to see ballets) and don't want to do the 'family thing' in Ryazan', I work through the Youth Hostels Association to buy a 'fake stay' in the cheapest hotel possible and they send me "fake" voucher that I can show with my tourist visa application, to show that I am staying in a hotel/hostel (even though I'm staying with friends in Moscow). But I still have to visit the front desk of the "fake" hotel/hostel so that the receptionist can "register" me.

Here is the Russian Youth Hostels page detailing the visa situation in Russia & what is needed for a Tourist Visa. They can arrange the paperwork (Voucher & Registration Sheet) that you must have to even begin to apply for a Tourist Visa at your Russian Consultate back home. I recommend this if you want to stay with friends in Moscow and want to avoid staying at an expensive hotel...and Moscow hotels are among the most expensive on earth. Luckily, this hostel association will give you the paperwork for up to a one-month stay even though you only pay them for a couple of days' stay in one of their hostels. Link: http://hostelling-russia.ru/visas.htm
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 03-22-2011 at 04:58 PM.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Update from AP writer Nancy Armour's twitter (@nrarmour):

ISU president Cinquanta tells AP's Andrew Dampf that 6 countries bid for worlds: US (Colorado Springs, Lake Placid), Russia (Moscow) MORE
    Canada (Vancouver), Finland (Turku), Croatia and Austria. Cinquanta expects council to vote tomorrow or Thursday
    http://twitter.com/nrarmour/status/50237083691925504
    http://twitter.com/nrarmour/status/50237311480381440

ETA: from Phil Hersh (@olyphil)

ISU president Ottavio Cinquanta just confirmed the AP story for me, adding that Graz is Austrian choice and Zagreb the Croatian choice
    http://twitter.com/olyphil/status/50239503385903105
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 03-22-2011 at 04:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Update from twitter:

ISU president Cinquanta tells AP's Andrew Dampf that 6 countries bid for worlds: US (Colorado Springs, Lake Placid), Russia (Moscow) MORE
    Canada (Vancouver), Finland (Turku), Croatia and Austria. Cinquanta expects council to vote tomorrow or Thursday
    Turku???!!!
    Turku would be great, but I am 99,97% sure it will be Moscow.

vCash
    CROATIA? oh please please please Zagreb so that I can go!!!
    and for Austria as well ^_^
    CaroFan™

vCash
    Hersh: "ISU president Ottavio Cinquanta just confirmed the AP story for me, adding that Graz is Austrian choice and Zagreb the Croatian choice"

vCash
    Great to hear that countires like Croatia can afford such expenses

vCash
    Croatia? Austria?! Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Most people who go to Worlds from other countries seem to go in tour groups. The tour directors handle everything. In the case of independent travelers, they usually are wealthy enough to not mind pre-paying $2,000+ for a 10-day stay in a Moscow Hotel, to be able to obtain the voucher that will allow one to apply for a visa.
    WRONG. I've never travelled to Worlds on a tour and don't know anyone who has. AND, as I already pointed out previously, I've NEVER stayed in an expensive hotel in Russia - actually, I've stayed more than once at friends' - and I've NEVER had to go through the hassle you seem to say is necessary to go through. You are making it sound much more complicated than it actually is.

Moreover, implying that anyone who travels on their own to watch Worlds can fork out $2000+ just on the hotel is ridiculous and insulting.

Quadless
    vCash
    Wheeeeee for all the Rude Euros stepping up to the plate!
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I still think that it's either Moscow (most likely) or Colo Spgs (credible but less likely). The others must be like Susanna Rakamo hinted at in the earlier article - "ghost bids" to fill-out the slate of bidders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine82 View Post
    Croatia? Austria?! Wow!!

WRONG. ....Moreover, implying that anyone who travels on their own to watch Worlds can fork out $2000+ just on the hotel is ridiculous and insulting.
    No use arguing with stupidity. YOU are WRONG. In Moscow and St Pete, the hotels (not hostels) are exhorbitant. That's why I'd suggest using my old trick of paying a couple of days in a hostel (to be able to show the documents necessary for a Tourist Visa) and staying with friends (to save money).

vCash
    the saga may be over tomorrow...uuhhhhh

vCash
    Can someone please explain the voting process? (It might be in an earlier thread?)

vCash
    I don't think there is one at this stage. I suspect all ISU Coincil members receive the bids via email, discuss over the phone and then vote for it

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Why Moscow didnt work so hard to get WCh before? They wasnt inteersting in this before, but now they even have government support.
    This will be greate fro Russian skaters - this is really greate and will be greate for Natale-Peshalat - Fabien Bourzat, if WCh will be in Megasport - there traning base But i wish Russain Figure skating federation and goverment care more about there skaters, not only in such critical situation for all World and in futire work hard to have in Russia such a big competitions, like Europian championships, GPF, JWCh and hold one of the JGP competition.
    wtf with this spelling, buddy pani? The stuff like "greate" and "traning" is fine, yeah,.. f... it. These "inteersting," "Russain," "futire," let's count as typos . But names of Skaters should, no.. MUST be spelt properly, somehow it speaks about the respect. No?
    www.isuresults.com/bios/fsbiosicedancing.htm

vCash
    USFSA posted this - a chance to vote for your choice among the various bidders:

Vote in this poll: Where would be the best location for the ISU to hold the 2011 World Championships?, http://bit.ly/igNy64

So far, Lake Placid is ahead, by quite a lot! Not that this impacts on the ISU's vote but it's fun.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast