Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Be fair, compared to most things in a budget for a country the size of Russia? This isn't exactly breaking the bank.

Iceland sounds rather exciting too. But I nth giving a for the federations willing to make it happen, wherever it ends up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    while maintaining his 'hot line' with Speedy:
    wow, hope Speedy can also think at worlds sometimes, he's so busy on phone with Hersh!

Seriously, the deadline for the application is that evening.
    In CET time now it's early afternoon..so, until now who's in? Russia (Moscow) and US (LP/CS) only? with Canada and Finland likely to join, right?

vCash
    In the other thread, Iceman posted the ISU requirements for a new venue. The 5th requirement was :

5. A TV production for the entire event and availability of the signal free of charge to ISU and its TV right holders

I don't recall which event it was, but last year, there was a competition where each skater's performance was up on YouTube before the next skater left the ice.

Quadless
    vCash
    Somehow, I doubt Obama is going to be expressing his support for this event (not that there's anything wrong with that, LOL). I would guess that with Putin's stated endorsement, the deal is sealed for Moscow, which would be fabulous. I think they're the only ones who actually have a chance of potentially filling the stands on short notice, which would be nice for the competitors.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Alexander Gorshkhov, President of Russian Figure Skating Federation:
    The Russia's bid to host Worlds 2011 was officially submitted today. The dates for the event are April 25-May 1.
    http://www.championat.ru/other/news-765546.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    Alexander Gorshkhov, President of Russian Figure Skating Federation:

http://www.championat.ru/other/news-765546.html
    Im already rooting for the russian bid even though I have zero chance of making it there. This could be a big push in exposure for their skaters and momentun till Sochi.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Be fair, compared to most things in a budget for a country the size of Russia? This isn't exactly breaking the bank.

Iceland sounds rather exciting too. But I nth giving a for the federations willing to make it happen, wherever it ends up.
    Fwiw nobody was suggesting Iceland. That person was just talking about flights to Halifax from Europe
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    BTW, if anyone cares, Putin's comments were televised on national TV. Here is the link, just click on video button.
    http://newsru.com/sport/22mar2011/bless.html
    He has a meeting with Mutko, Russian Minister of Sports, not sure if it was already planned ahead or specifically called to discuss the Worlds issue. After Putin makes his comments, Mutko informs him that he is going immidiately call Ottavio Cinquanta.

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Somehow, I doubt Obama is going to be expressing his support for this event (not that there's anything wrong with that, LOL). I would guess that with Putin's stated endorsement, the deal is sealed for Moscow, which would be fabulous. I think they're the only ones who actually have a chance of potentially filling the stands on short notice, which would be nice for the competitors.
    Obama's too busy visiting South America and worrying about his NCAA brackets to care about figure skating. Now, if only Condi were still Sec'y of State, we'd have someone in our corner, lol.

I think Colorado Springs would have a relatively decent shot at filling the stands on short notice. The city is hard-wired to support the Olympic movement and they'd turn out to support an event like a re-scheduled/moved Worlds.
    Future FSUer to me before Gedevanishvili's SA 2010 SP - "Aunt Karen, what is she wearing?"

vCash
    Historically, when you add all the threads on this (older ones were closed and a new one started) , is this the longest thread ever on FSU? It is getting difficult to remember what you (meaning me lol) said or didn't say or wanted to say and maybe did or didn't say
    or intended to say, but did or didn't (I'm starting to have dreams about this thread).......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    In the other thread, Iceman posted the ISU requirements for a new venue. The 5th requirement was :

5. A TV production for the entire event and availability of the signal free of charge to ISU and its TV right holders

I don't recall which event it was, but last year, there was a competition where each skater's performance was up on YouTube before the next skater left the ice.
    Oh, my gosh, I remember that...yeah, it makes the requirement for the TV signal seem somewhat outmoded.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Putin's offer has made CNN.com: Russia offers to host skating championship instead of Japan
    "Our Japanese friends can't host the world figure-skating championship, clearly, because of the tragedy that they've suffered," Putin said Tuesday. "But we could support our Japanese colleagues as well as the International Skating Union by proposing to host this championship here, if, of course, the union would be interested."

The prime minister spoke at his country residence outside Moscow during a televised meeting with Russian Sports and Tourism Minister Vitaly Mutko.

"This event wouldn't be expensive, and we could easily handle all the expenses related to it," Putin said.

"The more so, that there are millions of figure skating fans [in Russia]," he said. "Our people would be happy to see this wonderful show ... We don't insist on anything, but if the International Union needs a helping hand, we would extend it with pleasure."
    Reuters newswire article: Moscow bids to host world championships
    Moscow has proposed the 14,000-seat Hodynka arena [also transliterated 'Khodynka' and now renamed Megasport Arena], built in 2007 to host that year's ice hockey world championship, as the venue. The Russian capital last hosted the world figure skating championships in 2005 at the old Luzhniki ice palace.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-22-2011 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    Latest updates, via Phil Hersh's tweets.

First, this English-lang article from Finland, in which Finland Fed President Susanna Rahkamo offers some interesting information. For example, Finland was ASKED by the ISU to submit a quote...suggesting that theirs is NOT a serious proposal but, rather, something to make the bidding legitimate, if a minimum number of bids are required.

Between the lines, Rahkamo lets on that Finland received a wish from abroad - in other words from the ISU - to enlist as a candidate.

Rahkamo also lets it slip that the dates for Worlds have been determined (week of April 24/May 1...which happens to be the week proposed by Moscow):

The World Figure Skating Championships are now rescheduled for April 24 – May 1.

Link to full article:
    http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Fin.../1135264815751

Next, here is Phil's Tweet, on the Putin Push for Moscow's bid:

olyphil Philip Hersh
    Done deal? Putin now pushing Moscow as sub host for world figs. He got 2014 Winter Games, 2018 World Cup for Russia. http://bit.ly/eEA7Q9
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    When will the bidding time end? In couple of hours? So it's only Russia and US so far...

vCash
    I have no doubts that the Russians can pull it off. They seem to be really interested, now with even Putin supporting the bid. Don't think any other prime minister would get involved (but then, most other countries don't mix sports and politics as much as the Russians do). Anyway, they realize that it is a good opportunity for them to expose their skaters, to support figure skating in their country, to look good in the eyes of the skating world as they help in a time of need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Obama is at war right now somehow I don't think figure skating is on the radar for him.

I think Russia will get it. Canada doesn't really want it as we have 2013 worlds.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    So it looks like the only two serious candidates were the US and Russia. Finland doesn't really want them and Canada has also said they didn't want them but those two will likely throw in bids to make the process legit.

Russia is getting government support and seem really keen and eager but I´ll hold off on the so as not to jinx them

vCash
    Ah....I'm not so sure that Colorado Springs may not be the leading contender.

Both US and Russia have cumbersome entry-visa requirements, true. USA has Homeland Security rules making it tough to gain entry visa. But have any of you tried to go to Russia as an independent tourist, avoiding the expensive hotels? It's very tough to do. If you try to stay with friends (a 'home stay') you are almost treated like criminal, having to register with the OVIR (immigrations police) within 48 hours of arrival -- usually taking a full day of bribing your way from office to office, so forget seeing any skating on that day. If you go the expensive-hotel route, you have to prove that you've paid the hotel in full, by including the Hotel Voucher/Receipt as part of the visa-application process.

A key to selection of the Worlds venue will be which country -- USA or Russia -- is willing to relax its visa rules for skaters, coaches and officials...cause it "ain't gonna happen" for ordinary fans, I fear.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 03-22-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Ah....I'm not so sure that Colorado Springs may not be the leading contender.

Both US and Russia have cumbersome entry-visa requirements, true. USA has Homeland Security rules making it tough to gain entry visa. But have any of you tried to go to Russia as an independent tourist, avoiding the expensive hotels? It's very tough to do. If you try to stay with friends (a 'home stay') you are almost treated like criminal, having to register with the OVIR (immigrations police) within 48 hours of arrival -- usually taking a full day of bribing your way from office to office), so forget seeing any skating on that day.
    So arrive a day earlier

Is it any easier the other direction?

vCash
    Why Moscow didnt work so hard to get WCh before? They wasnt inteersting in this before, but now they even have government support.
    This will be greate fro Russian skaters - this is really greate and will be greate for Natale-Peshalat - Fabien Bourzat, if WCh will be in Megasport - there traning base But i wish Russain Figure skating federation and goverment care more about there skaters, not only in such critical situation for all World and in futire work hard to have in Russia such a big competitions, like Europian championships, GPF, JWCh and hold one of the JGP competition.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast