Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Does anyone know if Lepisto is changing her mind re: Worlds now that it's postponed (so she can have more time to heal her injury and practise) and likely to be in Europe or even Finland?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Uh, no. The Olympic skating events were held at the Pacific Coliseum. The "arena" at the PNE is the Agrodome.

But then this story comes from Ontario which is the centre of the universe, so I guess they don't need to get their facts right about anything in the rest of Canada.
    no need to being sensitive. PNE Pacific National "Coliseum" can also be classified as an arena techincally just like agro"dome" can be classified as an arena. I'm sure everyone new the difference.

vCash
    double post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Does anyone know if Lepisto is changing her mind re: Worlds now that it's postponed (so she can have more time to heal her injury and practise) and likely to be in Europe or even Finland?
    Could she change her mind? She's no longer listed on the official entries site as an entry or a substitute. http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007390.htm

I don't know if she'll be recovered enough anyway, but given the unusual circumstances it seems like there should be some process by which skaters who had withdrawn anticipating the March date could petition to be put back on the list if they will be healed enough by the new dates (though I'd also feel kind of bad for a skater who thought they were going to Worlds and was officially listed as being on the team but then got "bumped," who in this case would be Juulia Turkkila).

vCash
    The Coliseum and the Agrodme are practically next door to each other , but there's no comparison in size ,and the hockey team ( Giants) who call the Coliseum home are not, AFAIK, out of the playoffs .

Still, if the quote comes from Thompson, maybe he thinks there could be some kind of shuffle. But I always thought our offer of "help if needed" was a fail-safe, if-there's-no-other-viable-option kind of thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Cleveland, Ohio! We will never have to worry about a conflict with a playoff game here. (((Browns))) (((Cavs))) (((Indians))).

ROFL. It helps to have a sense of humor about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    The Coliseum and the Agrodme are practically next door to each other , but there's no comparison in size ,and the hockey team ( Giants) who call the Coliseum home are not, AFAIK, out of the playoffs .

Still, if the quote comes from Thompson, maybe he thinks there could be some kind of shuffle. But I always thought our offer of "help if needed" was a fail-safe, if-there's-no-other-viable-option kind of thing.
    Giants in Hockey? What league is this?

vCash
    I believe someone posted in this extended thread that Finland does not have any Visas requirements. If that is true then that gives them a one up on both Russia and USA. However Finland will be holding the World Synchronized Skating Championships sometime during this same period, so this could be a drawback for a winning bid. Hopefully we will know the answer Friday.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    The Giants play in the WHL..one step down from the NHL . I've been to a few games..much more affordable, and pretty good hockey (Plus you almost feel you're on the ice with them in that building .They don't use the nosebleeds)

RE: Finland and Synchros ..OTOH, they would have a lot of the behind the scenes stuff already in place. If they went for April 18 there would just be a week or so (I think) between the two.

vCash
    2011 Synchro Worlds are April 8-9 in Helsinki.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Could she [Laura Lepistö] change her mind? She's no longer listed on the official entries site as an entry or a substitute.
    My guess is that anyone who officially withdrew from Worlds (and was on the original entries list as a competitor or an alternate) could be reinstated to compete if that's what they and their federation want.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-22-2011 at 04:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    I believe someone posted in this extended thread that Finland does not have any Visas requirements. If that is true then that gives them a one up on both Russia and USA. However Finland will be holding the World Synchronized Skating Championships sometime during this same period, so this could be a drawback for a winning bid. Hopefully we will know the answer Friday.
    Finland doesn't have Visa requirement may be EU, US, and Japan. However if you are from developing country (there will be very few athletes anyway) and fans, they will have a harder time getting the visa. I think if Russia uses the same policy as ManU Vs Chelsea match policy for Visa that might be advantageous.

vCash
    William Thompson is quoted in this Hamilton Spectator article: http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...s-but-not-here
    Excerpt:
    “To be perfectly honest, we have no burning need to put on the worlds,” Skate Canada CEO William Thomson told The Spec on Monday. “We’ve got the 2013 worlds and are really focused on that.

“But we’d much rather host them than for there to be no worlds at all.”

However, Thomson said Skate Canada would not want to stage the worlds in southern Ontario because that could possibly affect income for the 2013 worlds in London.
    But Canada would rather be the safety net than the trapeze artist on this one, taking the event only if it appeared no one else can do it effectively.
    From the Colorado Springs Gazette: http://www.gazette.com/sports/worlds...rld-arena.html
    The seating capacity of World Arena for figure skating is nearly 8,000 – adequate for the Four Continents Championships that were contested here in 2006 and 2007, with a return scheduled for February, as well as Skate America, held in the Springs in 1999, 2000 and 2001. The Crowne Plaza and DoubleTree hotels off Circle Drive combine for 800 rooms, and there’s also housing at other hotels in the area and at the Olympic Training Center.

Chances are Springs-based U.S. Figure Skating, which closed 2009 with $63.6 million in net assets, wouldn’t be on the hook for the TV costs if NBC broadcasts the event, as it did when Los Angeles staged worlds in 2009. Financial support also is possible from the U.S. Olympic Committee, as chief executive officer Scott Blackmun said last week in Atlanta, “To the extent we can pitch in and help, we certainly would be willing to do that.”

The economic impact of the 2009 worlds was $25 million – way more than the Springs nabbed when worlds were held at the now-demolished Broadmoor World Arena in 1957, 1959, 1965, 1969 and 1975. U.S. Figure Skating executive director David Raith declined comment about a Springs bid, and so did World Arena general manager Dot Lischick.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-22-2011 at 05:00 AM.

vCash
    This March 20 article is the most detailed article in English on Yu-Na Kim's return to Korea that I've seen online to date: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/cult...03200315F.HTML
    Excerpts:
    Kim, 20, has scheduled an ice show for May 6-8 in Seoul and is also set to join the 2018 Winter Olympics bidding committee for PyeongChang, a South Korean alpine town, in her capacity as an honorary ambassador.

"For now, I will concentrate a little more on being the honorary ambassador for PyeongChang's Winter Olympics bid," Kim said.

PyeongChang is scheduled to give presentations on the international stage through April and May, including the official bid city briefing at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, on May 18-19.
    Kim refused to look ahead past her immediate future, since the ISU hasn't decided the fate of the world championships. But she did say rescheduling of the championships will be difficult for herself and other competitors.

"All the other skaters have been building up for the March event," Kim said. "And when we're thrown off our schedule even a bit, it's a huge psychological blow. It can take the air out of our preparation and it can be difficult to maintain the same intensity in training. Whether it's May or October, it will be difficult to be perfectly prepared."
    ETA: Found this Korean media video (4:30 mins long) over at Golden Skate of Yu-Na skating an open practice in Korea with no jumps (looks like she did bits of her SP choreo): http://etv.donga.com/view.php?idxno=201103220042314
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-22-2011 at 06:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ETA: Found this video over at Golden Skate of Yu-Na skating an open practice in Korea with no jumps (reportedly she did bits of her SP choreo): http://yfrog.com/m9v66z
    Hope it works! Interview and open practice.

http://sports.media.daum.net/general...12388&p=yonhap
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Finland doesn't have Visa requirement may be EU, US, and Japan. However if you are from developing country (there will be very few athletes anyway) and fans, they will have a harder time getting the visa. I think if Russia uses the same policy as ManU Vs Chelsea match policy for Visa that might be advantageous.
    Visa requirement in the Schengen area and travel documents accepted by Finland (by country)

vCash
    Just wanted to add my for all the Federations offering to host Worlds!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine82 View Post
    Just wanted to add my for all the Federations offering to host Worlds!
    I second that. Of course I have my preferences now that I had to cancel my trip to Japan but really I couldn't care less where it is as long as it happens somewhere and soon for the good of the skaters and the skating world!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Finland is part of Schengen treaty and requires visas just as USA. Russia has the most difficult visa process but they guaranteed to exodite them in this situation and so did USA promise assistance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I second that. Of course I have my preferences now that I had to cancel my trip to Japan but really I couldn't care less where it is as long as it happens somewhere and soon for the good of the skaters and the skating world!!

Most of us think so now because we are relieved that the Worlds will be held after all. Still I hope the ISU makes a decision before the novelty is over and the inevitable starts.

vCash
    Halifax is interested in hosting the Worlds.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1234313.html

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast