View Poll Results: Which of the leading Ladies for the Olympic title has the best programs?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mao Asada

61 42.07%
  • Kim Yuna

32 22.07%
  • Julia Lipnitskaya

31 21.38%
  • Ashley Wagner

10 6.90%
  • Carolina Kostner

6 4.14%
  • Adelina Sotnikova

1 0.69%
  • Gracie Gold

1 0.69%
  • Miki Ando

1 0.69%
  • Other

2 1.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Which of the leading Ladies for the Olympic title has the best programs?

Most of the Ladies best placed to win the 2014 Olympic title have put together some very good programs for this season, which have great potential:-

Mao Asada - Short Program: Nocturne No.2 Op. 9–2 in E flat major (Chopin), Free Skate: Piano Concerto No. 2 (Rachmaninoff)

Kim Yuna - Short Program: Send in the Clowns, Free Skate: Adis Nonino (By Piazzolla)

Julia Lipnitskaya - Short Program: You Don't Give Up on Love, Free Skate: Schindler's List

Ashley Wagner - Short Program: Shine On You Crazy Diamond (by Pink Floyd), Free Skate: Romeo and Juliet (by Prokofiev)

Carolina Kostner - Short Program: Humoresque (by Dvořk), Free Skate: Scheherazade (by Rimsky-Korsakov)

Adelina Sotnikova - Short Program: Habanera (from Carmen Suite) by Bizet, Free Skate: Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso

Gracie Gold - Short Program: Three Preludes (by George Gershwin), Free Skate: The Sleeping Beauty (by Tchaikovsky)

Miki Ando - Short Program: My Way, Free Skate: The Firebird (by Igor Stravinsky)

So which skater has the best programs with the greatest potential?
    Last edited by Maofan7; 12-14-2013 at 10:59 PM.

vCash
    Mao has really beautiful programs this time around. She has the best, followed by Akiko.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I was really pleased when Ashley chose to perform to Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd. I really love the program, and to me, it's perfect for Ashley.
    Angie
    I have not failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    If Kostner goes back to Bolero then she'll have the best LP .

Some of the skaters on this list are not in contention for the gold medal.

vCash
    I find that Akiko Suzuki has the best, but on this list No.1 goes to Mao for her Chopin Short and Rachmaninoff FS

vCash
    Gracie Gold and Miki Ando as contenders? I would have put Akiko on the list instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    I find that Akiko Suzuki has the best, but on this list No.1 goes to Mao for her Chopin Short and Rachmaninoff FS
    If you believe that Akiko has the best programs and is a genuine contender for Olympic Gold, then you should have voted 'other'. I don't think Akiko has much of a chance at winning the Olympic title after her performances at last years World Championships, and in this seasons Grand Prix, which is why is she not on my list. Nevertheless, here are her programs:-

Akiko Suzuki - Short Program: Hymne l'amour (by Monnot), Free Skate: The Phantom of the Opera (by Lloyd Webber)

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Gracie Gold and Miki Ando as contenders? I would have put Akiko on the list instead.
    Miki Ando is improving fast as the season progresses. The only thing that is holding her back at the moment is 'rust' from the long lay off, but that will fade the more competitions she completes. She has twice shown that she has the temperament to win a world title and beat Mao and Kim in the process, whereas Suzuki suffers from nerves and has only ever won a bronze medal at Worlds. As the old cliche goes, 'form is temporary, but class is permanent'.

As for Gracie Gold, she is skater on the rise, whereas in my opinion, Akiko is skater in decline. I think Akiko reached her peak in 2011/12 when she took the bronze medal at the 2012 World Championships. Last season, Gracie Gold finished 6th at Worlds, whereas Akiko could only finish 12th. I think Gracie Gold has the greater potential therefore to medal at Worlds. Last season, she had a slow start and got better and better as the season progressed (enabling her to finish 6th at Worlds). I think the same will happen this season.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 12-15-2013 at 01:05 AM.

vCash
    Haha I never pick other in polls, I always try to pick a real poll choice based on what's given

Also I disagree that Akiko is a skater in decline. She had a better season last season than her previous season where she won the world bronze, the difference was that she tanked at the 2013 worlds, and was less than stellar at Nationals. The 2012 season had the weakest competition of recent years by far, and Akiko capitalized and won the Bronze.

Akiko achieved new personal best scores last season, had her best received programs up until that point, and achieved a depth of musicality and artistry that was only budding 2010 through 2012. Further, as a skater she is her strongest this current season, with the best programs of her career (one could also put last season's O FS in there. Her performances (and scores) at Skate Canada 2013 with an unbiased panel demonstrate that. She was the runner up for qualifying to the Grand Prix final this season, and Gracie was a measurable amount lower on that list.

vCash
    I'd say Mao has the best short , Julia the best long. Ashley and Gracie have great SPs too, though my enthusiasm for Gracie's SP may be somewhat a happy slight overreaction for that screechy mess she dumped. Too early to say for YuNa , those programs are young but promising. Carolina's are the most disappointing ,especially for some known for unique programs. Overall I'd say Mao has the best programs, although her LP isn't quite as transcendent as the SP.

vCash
    I love Carolina Kostner's SP, my favorite program this season.
    And probably YuNa Kim for the long, but we didn't see much of it.

vCash
    Hmm. A lot to consider.

I think the best short is probably Mao's. She skates to the music like it is her own, and you couldn't really picture anyone else skating to it. For me, it represents her official blossoming into an artist. I do love Carolina's short as well, but it doesn't feel as polished or intricate as last year's; I do love the pure glee and joy of skating it brings out of her though. I don't think Julia's short is anything special...the music makes me feel like I'm watching the end of a Lifetime Intimate Portrait. I like Ashley's short too, I think the music edit is fresh and the choreography is really true to Ashley while intricate and special, but when you compare it to Carolina or Mao it just doesn't have the overall polish sense of the best presentation (though I think it comes down to her basic skating versus theirs). Yu-Na's short is lovely, but not as lovely as I hoped for...I think that will depend on the performance though (I wasn't nuts about her Les Mis program but after her 2013 Worlds performance chapeau ). I think it's too early to tell for Gracie's new Grieg SP, but I also liked the previous Gershwin program; the music was a little hard on the ears but as a whole I still thought the program worked.
    I think the long probably goes to Yu-Na; I it will be magical. She has this ability to capture subtle sensuality like no other that really breathes well with Piazzola. I think Mao could have a really beautiful moment with Rach 2, but I haven't seen it yet, and there's something jarring about the ostentatious costume and the choreographically-back ended program that just leaves something to be desired. Carolina's Scheherazade keeps growing on me, but she owned Bolero like no other singles skater has yet. Ashley's feels like a snooze; the music edit is blah and it doesn't feel as genuine as the short. Gracie's is similar in that it feels like "here, we're going to make this program so she looks like a perfect ice skating princess icon" versus "let's do something that lets Gracie be Gracie". I guess the Olympic season brings out conformity. Shout out to Akiko for a beautiful, polished POTO free skate that feels sophisticated yet true to her heart.

Adelina...I don't even know what to say, other than Saint-Sans is probably rolling over in his grave at her techno remix.

vCash
    I felt Mao has the complete overall package with both of her programs, though that may change when a refreshed Yuna skates her's. Both of Akiko's programs are lovely too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I love Carolina Kostner's SP, my favorite program this season.
    And probably YuNa Kim for the long, but we didn't see much of it.
    Carolina's's SP is my favorite too. So many nice touches in the choreo. But I also like Mao's SP and Ashley's SP and I think I'm going to like Gracie's new SP as well. Akiko's SP feels empty until the step sequence. Just my perception, of course.

Yuna's LP will probably look stunning with more mileage.

vCash
    No contest: Mao!

Biggest waste of talent/potential: Ashley Wagner's two programs, especially the LP. Ashley should be neck-to-neck with Mao on the quality of her program because she is a great interpreter but, alas, 'Crazy Diamond' and 'Bedroom Juliet' don't allow her to sparkle.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Mao

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Miki Ando is improving fast as the season progresses. The only thing that is holding her back at the moment is 'rust' from the long lay off, but that will fade the more competitions she completes. She has twice shown that she has the temperament to win a world title and beat Mao and Kim in the process, whereas Suzuki suffers from nerves and has only ever won a bronze medal at Worlds. As the old cliche goes, 'form is temporary, but class is permanent'.
    I fail to see this improvement in Mikis skating as the season progresses that you speak of. She was beaten by Courtney Hicks recently. There are many things holding her back from being a contender at the moment. She is old, very very slow, her programs are boring, and she isnt even the jumper she used to be. Her spins now suck as well.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    So would I. Ando and Gold should not be on this list. I would replace them with Suzuki and Murakami. I don't think they are contenders for Olympic gold, but I believe they are better candidates for medals than Miki and Gracie.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I think Kostner and Asada have the best programs this season. I would be fine with either of them winning Olympic gold.

vCash
    I think Julia has the best programs from a music/choreography perspective, but that doesn't mean she'll win. I don't think she will.

vCash
    Lipnitskaia's free program is very good. I voted her.

Gold is definitely a contender. Her clean performances can get a bronze. Look at the scores she got with mistakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast