Awaiting Validation
    vCash

The Inside Edge with Sarah and Drew

Ok what's going on with Drew Meekins? He has been on Icepartner search since like August of 2006?......Just kidding a long time. Is there any news about a possible partner for him? It would have to be someone that matches his jumping ability. Is he going to skate or just do the Sara and Drew show?

vCash
    I thought he had found another partner, but then she left him too.

I'm guessing at this time, he's probably done

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Considering the thread title, we might as well post their most recent blog links here:

March 17

March 13

March 1

vCash
    Yes, he paired up with Jessica Rose Paetsch in 2008 (?). They competed at 2009 US Nats and I think a few other comps in 2008 and 2009. They had qualified for nationals through regionals and sectionals and it was maybe a month before 2010 nationals that Jessica quit. I think he may, unfortunately, be done, unless he wants to do show skating or go on a cruise ship or something like that.

However, his blogs with Sarah are usually HILARIOUS. And often informative, too!

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Drew's only 25 (26 next month) don't count him out yet.

vCash
    Drew's jumps aren't going to improve simply because his age increases by +1. If he doesn't have a consistent triple by now then it's not going to happen.

Quadless
    vCash
    Well then I guess it's a good thing that he already does have a consistent triple. Drew has a very reliable triple salchow, and I think I heard that he's also got a triple loop (not totally sure about that). At any rate, the guy can definitely skate (he's a junior world champion, for cripes sake) - he just needs to find a partner.

Here's Drew in a solo number.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post

Wow, that is a gorgeous performance. What beautiful flow and control he has. Thanks for posting this!
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    One landed triple in a utube video performance doesn't prove that Drew has a consistent triple anything. Plenty of skaters with inconsistent jumps can post video of themselves landing very nice triples. It's a nice program from Drew though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Something about that choreography is extremely awkward. Can't put my finger on it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Mom2 View Post
    Drew's only 25 (26 next month) don't count him out yet.
    I still say steal Rena from John and pair up Rena and Drew

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I have to agree that Drew is done.......but the interesting point here is it didn't have to be that way. I thought he loved skating and competing. He has had lots of opportunity to skate with partners.....this is the mystery....? Did he have some injury we didn't know about? Did he have a melt down? Just an amazing downward spiral considering he was world junior champ with Julia Vlassov at one point....we know she grew....and the whole Vlassov (Julia's father) program dissolved.... He went to Colorado and essentially didn't do much....And I can't believe he didn't have opportunities.....mystery?

vCash
    why did the vlassov program dissolve -- where in colorado does he coach / how's he doing out there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    ...He went to Colorado and essentially didn't do much....
    Well, Drew is still very active sending messages on his Twitter account. (I'm a subscriber. He's a hoot.)
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Alex Vlassov and his wife, Laura Amelina, are coaching in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, AFAIK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I still say steal Rena from John and pair up Rena and Drew
    Pairs in the USA is not a humorous matter. It's a desperate situation with wasted talent on all sides of the road.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I personally don't think US pairs is in that desperate a situation. It's a really tough discipline to learn and do well, let alone with two people together.

(BTW, in case no one noticed this is an old thread that was bumped up today... LilJen posted her tongue-in-cheek suggestion about Rena Inoue before it was known she is pregnant. )

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Considering the thread title, we might as well post their most recent blog links here:
    And here are their blogs since I last posted:

June 3

May 19

May 6

April 13 (Ice Chips show)

March 29

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Pairs in the USA is not a humorous matter. It's a desperate situation with wasted talent on all sides of the road.
    (I had also posted my joking suggestion before the Denney/Coughlin pairing, when we still thought that the Denney/Barrett breakup was just an ordinary breakup.)