Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash

New York Times Announces Digital Subcriptions

Starting March 28, non-subscribers will be able to read only 20 online articles for free each month.

Home delivery subscribers can continue to access online and app content for free. Non-subscribers can choose from three packages: $15 per month for Web access and smartphone content; $20 for Web plus access to the Times iPad app; and $35 for Web, tablet and smartphone access.
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/17/tech...times_paywall/
    www.nytimes.com

I remember the Times tried subscription for a portion of its content a few years ago (Times Select?). They abandoned it after what seemed like less than a year.

vCash
    I LOVE the NYTimes and will most certainly subscribe!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    I remember the Times tried subscription for a portion of its content a few years ago (Times Select?). They abandoned it after what seemed like less than a year.
    Yes. A few years ago subscriptions were less common, so it will be interesting to see if this time it takes hold.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Not sure I'm ready to shell out close to $200 a year ($15 every 4 weeks, not every month) for the Times on my iPhone. I love the app, but BBC's is just as good.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Watch me move
    vCash
    I get the Sunday NTTimes but they just fired all the really good regular writers in their Sunday magazine (the ethics columnist, the recipes columnist, the language/linguistics columnist, the weekly interview columnist). And redesigned the magazine to, as far as I can tell, make it look reallu ugly and cluttered. I hope the writers didn't get canned to raise money to run the digital subscriptions program
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    20 free online articles for NYTimes is plenty enough for me. There are plenty of other fishes in the sea to get my news from.

vCash
    I don't understand the pricing scale. Obviously it's cheaper to run an online only publication than to produce hard copies. But the NY Times home delivery price is cheaper than the online subscription. Plus with the home delivery price, you get online access thrown in for free. Doesn't make sense to me.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    But the NY Times home delivery price is cheaper than the online subscription. Plus with the home delivery price, you get online access thrown in for free. Doesn't make sense to me.
    Home delivery is $7.40 per week for the introductory period, and then $14.80 thereafter (the newsstand price is $2 per copy). The most expensive digital subscription option (which includes smartphone and table access) is $35 every 4 weeks. That's 50% cheaper than home delivery, and if you go with the basic access at $15 for every 4 weeks, it's 75% cheaper than home delivery.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I get the Sunday NTTimes but they just fired all the really good regular writers in their Sunday magazine (the ethics columnist, the recipes columnist, the language/linguistics columnist, the weekly interview columnist). And redesigned the magazine to, as far as I can tell, make it look reallu ugly and cluttered. I hope the writers didn't get canned to raise money to run the digital subscriptions program
    Agree that the design is ugly - but I was happy that it made the numbers in puzzles easier to read!

I'll miss Amanda Hesser, not sure if all the other food columnists and writers are gone, but Mark Bittman is a good food writer so I'm happy we've gained him.

Do you have Amanda's new New York Times cookbook? It's outstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Home delivery is $7.40 per week for the introductory period
    Hmm, where I live it's $3 something.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For those of us who live outside the US, the home delivery subscription is very pricey, and in our experience, can be unreliable. The online subscription sounds like a good option for a lot of international readers.

The Sunday edition alone is about $8.50 in Canada, bought at the newstand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Wow! I had no idea...

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Hmm, where I live it's $3 something.
    Wow, it never occurred to me that the cost of home delivery would vary by location since the newsstand price of the newspaper is uniform across the country - $2.

vCash
    An article detailing the fuzzy math involved:
    http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...ywall-arrives/

vCash
    I don't get the pricing. I probably would have paid a $59/year subscription fee, but not $200. They tried overpricing once before and it didn't stick; I don't expect this will either.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Agreed about the cost. I watch the Apprentice and at least one task deals with "price point." This one is too high.

And it's a little cheesy that the $15 doesn't cover one month, but "four weeks." It's like they had to sneak that extra pay period in there.

vCash
    Why would I pay that much when I can go to 20 other news sites and get the same info? They r not very smrt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

Here in NYC, the home of the paper, they get $5.00 for the Sunday edition at the news stand. Utterly ridiculous considering that the paper has been declining steadily in quality for years. It's not the paper it used to be by a long shot.

In any case, the digital subscription is not news to anyone here in NY. It's been talked about for quite some time and all NYers knew it was coming.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Why would I pay that much when I can go to 20 other news sites and get the same info? They r not very smrt.
    Because the NY Times contains more than news. There is a lot of coverage of the arts, theater, fashion, etc. I'm sure you could find free sources for all any topic, but there is a convenience to aggregation.

vCash
    I live in NYC and have subscribed to daily home delivery for many years. I'm an addict. My morning routine is to put the coffee on and get the paper to read while having breakfast. Of course there are morning I don't have time for that, but it is something I really enjoy. Reading online is not at all the same, but it's nice to be able to send links to stories I know friends would like. I also prefer to do the crossword puzzles at my kitchen table, and printing them myself is not the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast