View Poll Results: How well has Ottavio Cinquanta handled the issues relating to 2011 Worlds

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very well

9 5.14%
  • Reasonably well

4 2.29%
  • As well as circumstances allowed

25 14.29%
  • Average

7 4.00%
  • Poorly

31 17.71%
  • Badly

23 13.14%
  • Very badly

61 34.86%
  • Too early to tell

15 8.57%

vCash

How well has Ottavio Cinquanta handled the issues relating to the 2011 Worlds

With the United States, Russia, Italy, and Sweden all appearing to offer venues for the 2011 Worlds to take place in April or May, and according to Philip Hersh, Ottavio Cinquanta "downplay[ing] the possibility of moving Worlds to another site in April or May," how well has Cinquanta handled the whole affair?:-

Philip Hersh Article

Russia offers to hold 2011 Worlds

Globe & Mail Report on Russian bid

Voice of Russia Article

Further Article on Russian Proposal

CBC Article - Scott Russell

Required Elements Article on the options and how the matter has been handled

Article on how the skaters themselves feel about the postponement and the uncertainty

Alissa Czisny's view on postponement of Worlds and what should happen next

Kim Yu-Na going home due to World Championships being in limbo

Note also that a petition has been launched calling on the ISU to find a venue in another country so that Worlds can be held in April or May:-

Petition
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-18-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    enlighten me, if you please, about "the US... appearing to offer." Especially considering that it was mentioned more than enough that the US visa issues are just , compring to Russia's related stuff?

In Russia? I am fine with that.

vCash
    I think it's just as hard to get a visa to go to Russia as it is the US... unless the Russian government is willing to step in an speed them up.

As for how well Cinquanta has handled the whole affair- it's not over yet. Until there has been resolution, I don't think I can reflect on how he's did. Right now, I'd say pretty horribly. In the end, I might be neutral on it.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think it's just as hard to get a visa to go to Russia as it is the US... unless the Russian government is willing to step in an speed them up.
    Mutko, who is the Russian Minister of Sports and related stuff, was speaking from the behalf of the Russian Government, the institute that somehow includes visa stuff as well.

vCash
    We'll know by next Monday I guess.

I wish his communication was better to eliminate all this confusion. The skaters must be very anxious.

vCash

vCash
    I think it's too soon to know, especially since a final decision has not been made. But at least the ongoing effort has been mediocre at best. He could be doing a much better job communicating with the skaters and the skating community and being upfront with them about the situation at hand.

vCash
    I voted 'Very badly.' It reminds me of -

"Is this the end of Rico?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgGngBampYg

- Edward G. Robinson as Rico, Little Caesar
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 03-17-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I voted badly. I thought very badly was a bit too harsh, considering the dramatic and unexpected circumstances. He is also rescued from a worse score by actually taking into considerations the post-Worlds tour and show commitments top skaters have and trying to avoid rescheduling Worlds to conflict with those.

He loses points by being silly enough to accept the JSF word initially that everything would be good to go as scheduled, when anyone watching the news had to know that was nonsense. He loses more points for taking too long to open to the possibility of relocating the event. He looses huge points for not immediately rejecting any suggestion of holding Worlds in October. He loses almost all remaining possible points for total lack of decisive leadership in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    We'll know by next Monday I guess.

I wish his communication was better to eliminate all this confusion. The skaters must be very anxious.
    Latest seems to be that we should have a decision by Monday or early Tuesday.

vCash
    Can I change my vote? I voted before I read some of the attached articles. What a jerk! Loved the last sentence on the Ice Network site.

Asked how the drastic change in timing could affect skaters' training, Cinquanta replied, "You cannot always listen to what the skaters want. These are exceptional circumstances. Some of the skaters are even minors."
    Dopey.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    My vote: "As well as circumstances allowed."

I'm no fan of Speedy, but I'm that folks are using a natural disaster, of all things, to criticize him. Who the feck would be able to move quickly and please everyone under such unforeseen circumstances?

vCash
    I'm sure that Speedy is dreading the start of Worlds -- whenever and wherever that may be -- when he has to face "The Minors"! ROTFL!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Speedy can't seem to do anything for us figure skaters!

Not enough information! The ISU website has postings from March 14th and 16th, saying a decision will be made soon. Any time limit here? If he doesn't know the answer let us know that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post

I'm no fan of Speedy, but I'm that folks are using a natural disaster, of all things, to criticize him. Who the feck would be able to move quickly and please everyone under such unforeseen circumstances?
    Not Bush, that's for sure.

But seriously, that's why we elect PRESIDENTS. That's their role: To provide leadership, particularly in a time of crisis. Why shouldn't we criticize them for not doing their jobs? Being ready for anything that comes along is part of the job description. End of story. No time for tears, regrets, etc. Time to figure out a new strategy and put it into action.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post

ITA
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    As the head of an organisation that has, for all intents and purposes, had to go into damage control, making a decision that has to please everyone will almost be impossible.

Fortunately, the few media people that have been able to gain access to the ISU, have kept us up to date as best they can.

Already, millions of potential earning dollars for the JSF and the ISU have been lost due to the cancellation of Worlds in Tokyo.

The athletes' training schedule is in limbo, tickets need to be refunded and resold, flights and hotels cancelled, television has had to be rescheduled, finding a new venue and support team quickly needs to be negotiated. Under normal circumstances, the creation of an event this size is many months in the making.

It's a nightmare, and certainly neither a quick fix or a five minute decision, because in the end, everyone has to be on the same page, or at least, agree to a line of best fit.

Having worked in an event planning situation recently that worked but with decisions that were made going to the wire, for something to go this wrong would be a tremendous burden to carry.