• Shizuka Arakawa

7 1.72%
  • Sarah Hughes

1 0.25%
  • Other

1 0.25%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    It's interesting that three Olympic gold medalists ('94, '98, '02) are the zero vote-getters.
    Last edited by giselle23; 03-22-2011 at 01:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    It's interesting that three Olympic gold medalists ('92, '98, '02) are the zero vote-getters.
    Actually, Yamaguchi ('92) has nine votes, while Baiul ('94) has zero.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Actually, Yamaguchi ('92) has nine votes, while Baiul ('94) has zero.
    Sorry--but you knew what I mean, didn't you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    ....I'm surprised that Cohen only got one vote though. I know she didn't have the most successful amateur career (though looking back, she got a respectable amount of hardware), but I was sure she had fans who simply appreciated her skating.
    Probably because this poll wasn't a multiple choice poll. And....

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Well you only needed 6 poll options anyway really. Kwan, Yamaguchi, Ito, Kim, Asada, and Slutskaya. The rest are redundant.
    judgejudy is right. As a one option poll, most (myself included) ended up choosing Michelle anyway. Even in a multiple choice poll Michelle would probably have ended up with the same number of votes while some who weren't chosen might have picked up a few more.

It is interesting that Sasha isn't regarded by some as being more successful than she is. For someone who wasn't a pressure skater, Sasha still managed to do pretty well for herself. I can only imagine how much better she would have done without all the falls and missed/doubled jumps. I did say I felt that Sasha was a better skater in general than Katarina. IMO Katarina depended not only on the mistakes of others but sometimes she also rested on the sexpot image she had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    IMO Katarina depended not only on the mistakes of others but sometimes she also rested on the sexpot image she had.
    The 3toes and 3sals done by Kat were of high quality though. She wasn't going to get a triple lutz, flip or consistent loop after 84, so she did the best with what she was capable of. I also think that during her eligible years it was only in 88 that she tried to use her sexpot image to sale her programs.

vCash
    I voted Kwan, in terms of number of times on the podium. I wasn't sure what criteria to use. In terms of artistry, it's a more difficult question. I enjoy watching Kwan as much as I enjoy watching skaters like Cohen, Yu na, Arakawa and Yamaguchi in their own different ways. Using that criterium it's more difficult to vote.

Witt had excellent presentation, of course she never was the best technically, but as a competitor she was tough. That's as important as having the best technical and artistical abilities. I don't like all her decisions in life, but it's her own life and she has the right to live it as she wants to, just like we're all entitled to our own life as we think better for ourselves. But wether you like her or not, she was a remarkable personality both on the ice and off the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    It is interesting that Sasha isn't regarded by some as being more successful than she is.
    I honestly think it's about expectations. Someone like Kerrigan is a big star partly because she did so much better than expected. Someone like Cohen, who has just as impressive a career, falls victim to the overhype. Perhaps had she not been built up as "possibly the greatest skater of all time", people could appreciate more what she did accomplish.

vCash
    I agree with berthesghost. Sasha and her team tried to build her up as the greatest skater of all time, or atleast potentially so. That is the reason her otherwise very fine career is treated as a dissapointment by many. And even looking aside the sometimes absurd overhype she didnt do any of the things she was expected to do.

She was expected to dethrone Kwan at Nationals. She never did.
    She was expected to win Worlds. She never did.
    She was expected to finally do a great long program at the Olympics, even if she didnt win. She didnt.
    She was expected to at some point atleast do a clean long program in a major event. She never did.

All the hype yet in major events in her prime she regularly lost or was outskated by Fumie Suguri.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree with berthesghost. Sasha and her team tried to build her up as the greatest skater of all time, or atleast potentially so. That is the reason her otherwise very fine career is treated as a dissapointment by many. And even looking aside the sometimes absurd overhype she didnt do any of the things she was expected to do.

She was expected to dethrone Kwan at Nationals. She never did.
    She was expected to win Worlds. She never did.
    She was expected to finally do a great long program at the Olympics, even if she didnt win. She didnt.
    She was expected to at some point atleast do a clean long program in a major event. She never did.

All the hype yet in major events in her prime she regularly lost or was outskated by Fumie Suguri.
    Don't forget the quad hype. She never landed it in competition. And all the hype at the 2000 Jr Worlds where she did not even land on the podium.

I just think Sasha was just not someone who could deliver under pressure. The fact that she could not win Worlds in 2006 is mind blowing.

vCash
    It's still impressive to have an Olympic silver medal and world medals. Better than nothing. Many skaters would love to even have one Olympic medal of any material.

vCash
    If Yuna wins a couple more world titles and another Olympics she will be the greatest female skater in the history of the sport. As of now she is "one of the greatest" along with Witt and Kwan. (This of course is not counting Fleming or Henie who came before.)

If skating were just about spinning, then Lucinda Ruh would take the "greatest ever" title hands down. Watching her spin was mesmerizing, the best I've ever seen bar none! Watch and be amazed while listening to Dick Button flip out with excitement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Ikxi6Zx4A

Better yet, watch this video and the rotational speed she achieves in her final spin, she is a BLUR, it is absolutely mind bending!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fvU...eature=related
    Last edited by jatale; 03-25-2011 at 06:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    If Yuna wins a couple more world titles and another Olympics she will be the greatest female skater in the history of the sport. As of now she is "one of the greatest" along with Witt and Kwan. (This of course is not counting Fleming or Henie who came before.)
    To be great you have to be revolutionary. You caused the sport to change, because you participated in it. I don't see that with Yuna. Maybe it will come but for now, not yet. Just collecting medals will not make one great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    To be great you have to be revolutionary. You caused the sport to change, because you participated in it. I don't see that with Yuna. Maybe it will come but for now, not yet. Just collecting medals will not make one great.
    I kind of agree, but it depends on what qualifies as a "revolution". Which skaters do you think "revolutionized" the sport and why? The one skater I can think of who clearly "revolutionized" skating was Dick Button, who else? Does just introducing a new jump qualify as a revolution? I don't think so. I don't think a skater needs to change the sport in some fundamental way (which is what the term "revolution" normally means) to be great. It seems to me that to be "great" a skater needs to both move the sport to a new level and be a successful competitor too. Dick Button clearly was both.

Too me, Yuna has moved women's skating to a new level with her technical abilities (speed, huge jumps, precision) and aesthetics (musicality and choreography), she is pushing the rest of the field to catch up with her. Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi seem to agree. That said, people are moved by different metrics, and clearly some people may not agree.
    Last edited by jatale; 03-25-2011 at 09:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    Too me, Yuna has moved women's skating to a new level with her technical abilities (speed, huge jumps, precision) and aesthetics (musicality and choreography), she is pushing the rest of the field to catch up with her. Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi seem to agree. That said, people are moved by different metrics, and clearly some people may not agree.
    I don't think she has moved ladies skating to new level in terms of aesthetics. In fact, I don't think anyone has managed to do that since Michelle Kwan.

vCash
    for me, Midori definitely revolutionized Ladies skating. Also the only skater to really got me emotional watching her skate was Michelle Kwan. She really is the only skater who brought tears to my eyes. I never was a huge fan of her. Yuna is great at 3lutz/3toe and 3 flip but she never touched me with her programs. I thik she can be the greatest of all time but I don't think she is there yet. I think Michelle was a more complete jumper than Yuna because she landed so many programs without mistakes. She had many clean 7 triple programs. Artistically I think Yuna can improve so much. She can work on extentions and turning out her foot. I just think her positions on her foot is awkward even when just skating around or doing a step sequence or doing a spin. If you watch someone like Kwan or Yuka Sato, the way Yuna(sometimes Asada too) moves her feet are sometimes awkward to me. Is it just me?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I don't think she has moved ladies skating to new level in terms of aesthetics. In fact, I don't think anyone has managed to do that since Michelle Kwan.
    YuNa amalgamated aestics and athleticism into one, which is a new level that didn't exist in ladies skating before her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    for me, Midori definitely revolutionized Ladies skating. Also the only skater to really got me emotional watching her skate was Michelle Kwan. She really is the only skater who brought tears to my eyes. I never was a huge fan of her. Yuna is great at 3lutz/3toe and 3 flip but she never touched me with her programs. I thik she can be the greatest of all time but I don't think she is there yet. I think Michelle was a more complete jumper than Yuna because she landed so many programs without mistakes. She had many clean 7 triple programs. Artistically I think Yuna can improve so much. She can work on extentions and turning out her foot. I just think her positions on her foot is awkward even when just skating around or doing a step sequence or doing a spin. If you watch someone like Kwan or Yuka Sato, the way Yuna(sometimes Asada too) moves her feet are sometimes awkward to me. Is it just me?
    Artistry in skating is not about the feet.

vCash
    She could also work on her musicality too.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    She could also work on her musicality too.
    I confess that I don't quite understand this comment. If what is meant by musicality is clarity of attack and articulation, fluidity, and consonance of movement with the music's beat, emphasis, and mood (which have their analogies with playing a musical instrument, like the piano or violin), then Yuna's musicality is now among the best, and has been since the 2009 season beginning with Danse Macabre.

These clips of her recent practice, with Giselle music cuts added by the viewers (which may have been posted elsewhere, but which I include as illustration) demonstrate what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n10ut...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju8BRmPcepQ

Given the somewhat gnomic brevity of your comment , it's possible that you have some specific things in mind, and I'm just not getting what it is that your getting at. If you'd care to expand on it, I'd be interested in knowing what you're trying to say.

vCash
    I voted Yu-Na! She is AMAZING SKATER.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast