• Shizuka Arakawa

7 1.72%
  • Sarah Hughes

1 0.25%
  • Other

1 0.25%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    To many, Janet Lynn is the best skater who ever lived. We all have our own opinion as to what "best" means, and to some, it's not decided on medals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    To many, Janet Lynn is the best skater who ever lived. We all have our own opinion as to what "best" means, and to some, it's not decided on medals.
    ITA!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Definitely!

But to be fair, Lynn pretty much won the free skate of almost every comp she entered with very high marks, so.... it's kinda sorta the same thing as going by medals as an indication of greatness. Now, had you said Kathryn Healey..

vCash
    1971 Worlds. The French people were so outraged that Janet didn't win a medal despite being clearly the best free skater that at the awards ceremony Janet had to take a bow as the crowd kept shouting her name. When is the last time you saw a skater who didn't even win a medal have to do something like that in an event like the World Championships? Now that's respect. Because of this incident they came up with the SP soon after. That's all you need to know about Janet Lynn. She changed skating forever.

vCash
    This is the most interesting, entertaining and informative thread I've read in a long time. Thanks everyone.

Frances

vCash
    IMO Katarina Wiitt has been the greatest skater, I totally loved her performance in the Olympics of 1988. http://www.olympic.org/figure-skating-individual-women
    It was BEAUTIFUL!
    But nowadays, I think Yu na Kim is the STAR. Her performance at the last Olympics brought me to tears.

vCash
    I am amazed Kim and even Kwan have so many more votes than Ito considering how popular Ito has seemed to be on this forum. Also Irina Slutskaya who is often ridiculed and dissed on this forum with only 1 less vote than Ito, wow. Maybe the Ito fan base have mostly jumped ship to Kim as their new favorite, while the Kwan supporters have remained intact. Also funny to see the Olympic Champions of 94-2002 with a combined 4 only votes (not surprising though).

vCash
    well i missed this poll but if i could still vote my vote would definitely go to Mao Asada, i simply LOVE everything about her skating her jumps, her spins, spiral, step sequence her lightness, flexibility, line, posture, graceful movement, everything about her skating is breathtaking and exiting to watch... Mao simply has the whole package, which is why i chose her....
    as much that i like all the other skaters they never really made the same impact on me that mao did!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    well i missed this poll but if i could still vote my vote would definitely go to Mao Asada, i simply LOVE everything about her skating her jumps, her spins, spiral, step sequence her lightness, flexibility, line, posture, graceful movement, everything about her skating is breathtaking and exiting to watch... Mao simply has the whole package, which is why i chose her....
    as much that i like all the other skaters they never really made the same impact on me that mao did!!
    I love Mao, but for this poll I would probably go with Michelle Kwan (I must have voted but I don't remember when or for who, but most probably it was Michelle). She was the most complete package, IMO. I adored Midori, but again for this poll my vote goes to Michelle.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    There are some that think Midori bested Katarina before she retired, even if the scoring said otherwise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    There are some that think Midori bested Katarina before she retired, even if the scoring said otherwise
    Midori placed low because of school figures. In terms of skating content, she was way ahead of her time. Her LP was much more difficult than Witt, who just posed in the middle of her program instead of skating. Those days ladies got away with it.

vCash
    Unfortunately Ito was much too weak at figures to have any chance of a major title before 89 despite her revolutionary free skating. Witt was really held up often in figures though. I have seen clips of her doing figures and they were often quite weak. I imagine there was probably a push to raise her up in figures so she could win major titles as she was the star the sport needed back in 84. Her figures placings from 83 and earlier and probably what she always deserved, as from the various clips of her doing figures I cant believe she was legitimately better than say someone like Jill Trenary who she always beat in figures placings somehow, always by several placings to boot. Her Calgary figures that they showed looked pathetic, she must have been held up to finish 3rd and be sitting 2nd midway through.

vCash
    OT: whatever happened to the return of figures as a separate discipline in the Olympics?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789