Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    I understand that ISU have already free hand as for the holding of the Worlds, because JSF had accepted the cancel of Tokyo hosting once.

I think that ISU requested JSF to consider the hosting in autumn, as one of the alternatives, while requesting the other federations to host the Worlds instead of Japan.

I think that the hosting in autumn is nothing but an idea which is better than nothing at all.

vCash
    Akira: I totally agree with you. Host in October or cancel them altogether. April/May are no good as the skaters have previous commitments and contracts with tours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Yea but who's going to cover the losses JSF will bear for losing the hosting rights? I think that's probably the main reason they're still holding out.
    Whose going to reinburse the nation who takes up this world task. This is more than likely NOT going to be a financial win for the nation that takes on this worlds. But many nations are offering to do so out of respect for the skaters.

I'm sure people will want to help the JSF recoop some of the costs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by virtuemoirfan View Post
    Akira: I totally agree with you. Host in October or cancel them altogether. April/May are no good as the skaters have previous commitments and contracts with tours.
    April/May is better then October.

vCash
    Yea but who's going to cover the losses JSF will bear for losing the hosting rights? I think that's probably the main reason they're still holding out.

Losing hosting rights may hurt JSF financially but that amount is small compared to the cost the Japanese people will face rebuilding their homes and businesses destroyed by the disaster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post

I think that the hosting in autumn is nothing but an idea which is better than nothing at all.
    IMO, for skaters, coaches nothing at all is much better than autumn.

vCash
    Insurance?

vCash
    The interpretation saying that JSF did not give up the right to hold the Worlds because they fear to lose a profit is not correct.
    According to the article which I showed the first of this thread, JSF decided that they inform ISU that it is difficult that they hold the Worlds.
    After that, JSF decided to consider holding the World at autumn in answer to the request of ISU.
    I think that there is not any kind of crafty scheme there.

Reference: the extract of the article
    The said board of directors decided to notify formally to International Skating Union (ISU) that it is difficult to hold not only the Worlds but also the World Team Trophy which is planned in Yokohama from April 15th.
    After that, discussing as for the document of inquiry whether it is possible to hold Worlds in Japan in the time until September or the first half of October which received from ISU in the previous night, JSF decided to consider as for holding it.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    October sounds ridiculous.
    It's an absolute nightmare for the athletes. Money is all very important, but ISU is supposed to be a non profit organization first of all caring for the sport.

The event should be either canceled or moved to other venue in April/May, and whoever wants to miss it because of earlier commitments to the shows, is very welcomed. We'll have a world champion from Serbia then, suits me fine. Much better than destroying the preparations and training schedule, plus bringing the full bunch of injuries following the need to maintain the form for 6 months.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    October sounds ridiculous.
    It's an absolute nightmare for the athletes. Money is all very important, but ISU is supposed to be a non profit organization first of all caring for the sport.

The event should be either canceled or moved to other venue in April/May, and whoever wants to miss it because of earlier commitments to the shows, is very welcomed. We'll have a world champion from Serbia then, suits me fine. Much better than destroying the preparations and training schedule, plus bringing the full bunch of injuries following the need to maintain the form for 6 months.
    This ^ and then some.
    Crazy about sports!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Yes this ^^^. Either accept an alternate location to hold Worlds in a reasonable time frame (April/May) or cancel it and let everyone get out of limbo and move forward!
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SUN View Post
    I totally agree with you.

vCash
    I think that it is not wise attitude to deny even an idea or a proposal before a decision is accomplished when we solve some problem and that we should not conjecture that a cunning plot or moneymaking may have been hidden in the solving process of this problem.

I think that ISU is examining all the possibility to solve the problem this time which wasn't expected, such as the idea that other Federation hosts the Worlds instead of Japan, the idea to hold in Japan by shifting a time, the idea to cancel 2011Worlds at all.
    Then, I think that ISU decides the best plan from the inside of a lot of alternative.

Reference:
    According to the TV news in the evening of March 19th JST as for the accident of the atomic power plant in Japan, the provisional cooling of fuel rod seems to have succeeded by hosing of the sea water from the ground by Fire Defense Agency and the Self-Defense Force.
    Also, the emergency construction of the power line from outside is advancing and the electrical-power-application to some nuclear reactors seems to have already become possible.
    Because the steady cooling becomes possible if the electrical-power-application recovers, I think that the emergency situation of the accident may end in about a week or so.
    For the time being, this news does not give any influence as for the whereabouts of the Worlds which had already stopped.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 03-19-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    I get a strong feeling that ISU equals Cinquanta. I have talked to people related to figure skating, and there's not a single one who finds the idea of holding the WC in October less than utterly moronic. The fact that it's even considered, shows a complete lack of understanding and/or interest in the sport.

I realize that money is a big part of the equation, but if there must be some limit. ISU is supposed, first of all, represent skaters. What it does so far, is exploiting skaters in order to be profitable as an organization.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    I get a strong feeling that ISU equals Cinquanta. I have talked to people related to figure skating, and there's not a single one who finds the idea of holding the WC in October less than utterly moronic. The fact that it's even considered, shows a complete lack of understanding and/or interest in the sport.
    Yes, I bet Cinquanta came up with the October idea on his own, without consulting anyone who understands figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    I think that it is not wise attitude to deny even an idea or a proposal before a decision is accomplished when we solve some problem and that we should not conjecture that a cunning plot or moneymaking may have been hidden in the solving process of this problem.

I think that ISU is examining all the possibility to solve the problem this time which wasn't expected, such as the idea that other Federation hosts the Worlds instead of Japan, the idea to hold in Japan by shifting a time, the idea to cancel 2011Worlds at all.
    Then, I think that ISU decides the best plan from the inside of a lot of alternative.
    Agree. Some criticisms cited in the forum seem to be based on circumstantial evidences or prejudice. Few of us know the exact number and nature of issues to be taken into account / parties to be consulted / agreements to be reached / concerns to be addressed. No one seems to know how much money is involved and what eventual consequences of money lost are. It sometimes takes guts to take time and consider all matters carefully than jumping to a conclusion. We just have to wait and see.

I agree skaters and their interests should be at the heart of the organisations such as ISU and JSF, but also there is a possibility their longer term interests may be better protected by protecting the immediate interests of other parties too, such as broadcasters and sponsors. If that is the case, such act should not be dismissed by simply calling it 'profit making'.

It would be good though, once all settled, we are to be informed in detail how the decision is finally made. Transparency is the key to trust. And what is becoming apparent now is a breakdown of trust between fans and organisations such as ISU and JSF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I'm afraid such selfish skaters would be punished by the iron fist of the ISU, and their federations will do the same if the spots were reduced. This is a really unusual situation. They must cooperate if they want to save their careers.
    Selfish skaters? Skaters shell out thousands of dollars per year to train and be ready to peak at a certain time of year. They can't physically be ready to peak at Worlds when they were already training to peak in March. It's not selfish, it's preservation of their tools which they need to perform their job- that tool would be their bodies. I don't know how you could possibly get off saying an athlete is "selfish" for wanting to preserve their body.

Worlds doesn't make sense in October. If they're going to do that, they should simply skip Worlds altogether.

As for the "they must cooperate to save their careers"- actually no, they can simply withdraw. The ISU isn't the "boss" and the skater isn't the "employee"...the ISU needs skaters more than skaters need the ISU, and if no one shows up, the only person whose career it will "ruin" is Speedy.

As for holding it in Japan in the next few months....honestly until the nuclear situation is resolved the extent of the radiation contamination truly out in the open, I wouldn't consider Japan for a world event like this- it's too risky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SUN View Post
    That is just issue which ISU should discuss from now on.

vCash
    Skaters try to peak at the time worlds is held, but I suspect the number who do is small.
    Peaking is hard to control and overrated imo. An elite athlete is ready to compete when called on to compete. What a mess sports would be in if athletes in other sports took this attitude. And I don't buy that a skater can't manage more than two competitive programs in a season. There was a time when the grande prix required skaters to compete two long programs.

vCash
    There's an online petition regarding this issue here: http://www.change.org/petitions/resc...new=f&opt_fb=t

Over 1300 people have "signed."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast