Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra_persch View Post
    Wolding Worlds in the fall is total nonsense! can't they just cancel for good and be done with it! how do they expect skaters to be on top of their game if they are kept in limbo right now
    OMG!!! Elite skaters might be expected to be at the top of their game in October!! No, it can't be. Why live?????

No offense, Sandra Persch, I promise.

But c'mon, this is an extreme circumstance--FS will deal with it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Actually, at the moment, they are. The ISU will apparently not move forward with alternative locations until the JSF give the OK.
    Cinquanta does mention a deadline. In the Gazzetta dello Sport he says that the ISU Council will make a decision by Monday or by Tuesday morning at the latest. That means they are expecting the JSF's written position today. Maybe they have already received it.

Only a week has passed since the earthquake. After years of preparation and investment, the JSF has the right to consult its partners and weigh its options for a few days. This doesn't prevent the ISU from evluating other candidates in the meantime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    OMG!!! Elite skaters might be expected to be at the top of their game in October!! No, it can't be. Why live?????

No offense, Sandra Persch, I promise.

But c'mon, this is an extreme circumstance--FS will deal with it!
    Sure why hold worls right before the SGP series so based on the results of october they decide who competes at which SGP 2 week later ... yeah that make a lot of sense ... NOT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    This is an article in “Daily Sports” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese.
    As for the 2011 Worlds, JSF started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in this autumn.
    March 16th, 2011 JST
    This was two days ago before the serious ISU consideration of Moscow-in-April/May and other offers came out yesterday. Old news and from a Japanese publication.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I think that JSF never thinks unpleasantly about it, if any other country, for example Russia, Korea, Canada, USA, etc is kind enough to shoulder Japanese debt, the Worlds of this season.
    Rather, JSF thanks that country very much and will accept that.
    I'm not sure I understand what's going on, and I'll be grateful if you can explain to me again.

I'm taking that JSF isn't willing to give up to the 2011 world championships because that would be financially harmful for them, unless another federation offers to: not only pay for worlds in their country, but also cover the debt that JSF would be having if they didn't host the championships.

Is that correct?

vCash
    Sure why hold worls right before the SGP series so based on the results of october they decide who competes at which SGP 2 week later ... yeah that make a lot of sense ... NOT
    I guess IF the worlds are in october they will probably have to cancel GP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSet View Post
    ouch! that would cause massive financial losses for skaters! winning a SGP and medalling at another earns you a lot more prize money than being in the top 12 at worlds.

vCash
    Sorry if this question has already been asked, but what happens if the JSF gets their way and Worlds is postponed to October and Japan still isn't ready to host the event?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what's going on, and I'll be grateful if you can explain to me again.

I'm taking that JSF isn't willing to give up to the 2011 world championships because that would be financially harmful for them, unless another federation offers to: not only pay for worlds in their country, but also cover the debt that JSF would be having if they didn't host the championships.

Is that correct?
    Oh! My expression may not have been suitable somewhat!
    I intended to have expressed it as the debt of Japan, as for just Worlds which Japan could not execute.
    I did never intend to have expressed so as to need the money or other thing, adding to the Worlds.
    JSF will demand nothing but thank the country which shouldered the Worlds instead of Japan.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 03-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.

vCash

this blows

Wait… I am like super confused. So they are having worlds from 2011 at what will be the start of the season for 2012? What will skaters do? Will they compete their 2011 programs at the same time as learning new ones for the 2012 season? Will the skaters just skip worlds? If you think about it, that’s nuts! I could see having the worlds in the summer perhaps although will skaters skip it because of tour engagements? This is crazy. I guess I am asking ( forgive the disjointedness of this) in October which is usually the start of the new season, why would they have Worlds? The rescheduling of this to be so far in the future robs skaters like Davis and White. Think about it; they were almost a definite if not close to definite win this year considering Tessa and Scott are not really 100%. By the time that the Worlds come around, anything can happen. NOT FAIR. Same thing with Mao Asada; due to her experience this season, she is probably in better shape than Yu Na Kim. Miki Ando however has been blasting the women away and with Kim not having experience, Miki could be robbed her shot at winning worlds. I don’t know. I guess the federations cannot think of how it will effect the hopefuls for gold but they really need to consider the stress in training for the skaters. I see skaters using their programs from last year left and right. Maybe I am over thinking it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSet View Post

What gives you that idea? That will not happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Sorry if this question has already been asked, but what happens if the JSF gets their way and Worlds is postponed to October and Japan still isn't ready to host the event?
    At present, JSF is considering about whether or not it can execute in the autumn.
    As for the formal proposal, JSF can not do till after the safe declaration by the country.
    At present, yet, the hostship of Japan, and postponement or cancel have not been fixed by ISU.
    If JSF promises hostship and is fixed as the postponement to autumn by ISU, I can not imagine the situation that JSF has not been able to prepare yet in autumn.

vCash
    Oh! My expression may not have been suitable somewhat!
    I intended to have expressed it as the debt of Japan, as for just Worlds which Japan could not execute.
    I did never intend to have expressed so as to need the money or other thing, adding to the Worlds.
    JSF will demand nothing but thank the country which shouldered the Worlds instead of Japan.
    Why doesn't JSF say so officially? If it says so quickly, ISU can move forward.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I guess the skaters would have a choice between keeping the same programs for next year or training 2 sets of programs. I could see a lot of repeat programs for 2011-2012. Or a lot of injuries. And some skaters have to decide whether to keep training - significant expense for those who were going to retire, like Ryan Bradley. But still a choice, however unfortunate.

The last 2 years, Mao Asada did not skate well in the fall. I wonder how an October worlds at home would affect her training.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Just the thought of seeing Ryan Bradley's 'Crazy Conductor' LP beyond this spring makes me shudder. IF Worlds happen in the fall, maybe Ryan might have a new LP routine by then?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    World championship is not just a "competition". It covers the major costs of the ISU's organization and competition managements. If they couldn't make money from this valuable event, the whole projects of the season will suffer. They will need to cut back the budget. Unprofitable events like JGP should be curtailed first. In due course, GPS and championships are "adjusted" to accordingly. The prize money is easy to sacrifice. The ISU also runs speed skating and short-track events. They don't make profits and needs constant fund injection from the figure skating section. Much more than "rinks" and "hotels" are required to host this prestigious event. Such unprepared expedience only to please selfish fans and skaters will sure lose money. And the difference between its loss and the expected gain from the October worlds in Japan constitutes the loss for the ISU. As long as there's no country who can guarantee sufficient financial gains to the ISU, the October worlds option is the best. I'm admiring Mr Cinquanta's intelligence. Any (in)convenience of individual skaters are trivial compared to the whole business of international skating. They have the obligations to contribute under this crisis situation.
    how do you know that speed skating and short track events need money from figure skating. The events are much easier to run logistics-wise with no judges, just referee, timers for the events. The cost is WAY less the figure skating. I think you need to show where you get your information to support these so called facts as you state them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    Why doesn't JSF say so officially? If it says so quickly, ISU can move forward.
    I think that RSF proposed already, because ISU moved quickly while understanding JSF's thought.
    ISU may be able to select the best one from the plural proposals.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 03-18-2011 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    Reference:

This is an article in “Jiji Press” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese
    Russia gave her name as hosting the Worlds instead of Japan.
    March 17th, 2011 JST

AFP at Moscow
    As for the Worlds which had put off hosting in Tokyo with influence of the Japan North East Region Earthquake, Russia gave her name officially as hosting the Worlds in Moscow instead of Japan in March 17th.
    Motoko Minister of Sport, Tourism and Youth Policy sent the document to ISU.
    ISU have a policy that decides not later than the beginning of May about whether or not to cancel or postpone the event and JSF seems to show the direction to postpone until this fall.
    The executive of the Ministry of STYP said, “The holding for back-up was the very difficult thing about us but decided to cooperate with ISU”.

The article
    Russia gave her name as hosting the Worlds instead of Japan.
    http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2011031701218
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 03-18-2011 at 10:51 PM.

vCash
    IMO JSF needs to let go of the WC in the interest of the sport, the athletes, and everyone else concerned. Since other countries have shown the willingness to host them this spring, JSF should not insist on WC in Oct. which may not even be feasible if the nuclear situation gets even worse. I also feel that the ISU needs to make the decision to give it to another host country very soon, and not try to give the JSF 'very chance'. JSF may never say No. I have all the sympathy for them, but the sport is bigger than one organization, and of course health/safety are more important than anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    IMO JSF needs to let go of the WC in the interest of the sport, the athletes, and everyone else concerned. Since other countries have shown the willingness to host them this spring, JSF should not insist on WC in Oct. which may not even be feasible if the nuclear situation gets even worse. I also feel that the ISU needs to make the decision to give it to another host country very soon, and not try to give the JSF 'very chance'. JSF may never say No. I have all the sympathy for them, but the sport is bigger than one organization, and of course health/safety are more important than anything else.
    Yea but who's going to cover the losses JSF will bear for losing the hosting rights? I think that's probably the main reason they're still holding out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast