Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    World championship is not just a "competition". It covers the major costs of the ISU's organization and competition managements. If they couldn't make money from this valuable event, the whole projects of the season will suffer. They will need to cut back the budget. Unprofitable events like JGP should be curtailed first. In due course, GPS and championships are "adjusted" to accordingly. The prize money is easy to sacrifice. The ISU also runs speed skating and short-track events. They don't make profits and needs constant fund injection from the figure skating section. Much more than "rinks" and "hotels" are required to host this prestigious event. Such unprepared expedience only to please selfish fans and skaters will sure lose money. And the difference between its loss and the expected gain from the October worlds in Japan constitutes the loss for the ISU. As long as there's no country who can guarantee sufficient financial gains to the ISU, the October worlds option is the best. I'm admiring Mr Cinquanta's intelligence. Any (in)convenience of individual skaters are trivial compared to the whole business of international skating. They have the obligations to contribute under this crisis situation.
    What financial guarantees can the JSF make at this point. Once again it would be one thing if the Japanese federation could guarantee that Worlds in October would be successful. They can't, they can't even guarantee things will be safe in Japan or that they will even be able to host it.

What happens if they say sure to Worlds in October and then things don't work out as planned. Can it even be deterimined an insurance company would fund-2nd worlds in Japan right now? So then everyone would be out more money. And the skaters would have been training for what?

I"m not sure if barebones worlds is possible. I will say that I think its very selfish to say that speed skating can put on unprofitable worlds-but skating isn't allowed too.

May I point out there is a rich Swede willing to fund a new Worlds in Sweden. Yes willing to pay all the cost. How isn't that a financial guarantee- Nmura.

And skating is very popular in Russia. All they have to do is get some Ice Age stars etc to promote new worlds, and tickets will be sold etc.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Without healthy prepared figure skaters there is no ISU for figure skating. If all is put on the ISU needs it is the tail wagging the dog. The most important thing is to take care of the athletes first, money second. If you want to talk money, think of the individual financial investment of each skater. How much money has invested to get individual athletes to the World level. The athletes health, money, time and lifetime commitment needs to be put first. It is a very sad time for so many in the world, there is no easy answer.

vCash
    October is really ridiculous.
    It is like having Ice Hockey World Championships in August.

vCash
    From what I can gather from my sources this decision is all about what the Japanese TV sponsor (supported by the JSF) wants. The ISU (a not-for-profit) is here to represent and manage a good competitive environment for figure skating. This is a major failure and only gives me more certainty around my thoughts that skating is the last thing on the agenda for this governing body.

The whole situation in Japan is so sad, so concerning and in the middle of a national disaster there are apparently a bunch of TV execs who are thinking of nothing but $$$ and if they can't hold it in the autumn well, those are the breaks for everyone else. Ok, but they're the businessmen and acting like businessmen. But no one in the mix is lookingg at the big picture. No one is looking out for figure skating as a sport as the ISU is supposed to do and I find that beyond depressing. The whole 'these skaters have performance contracts' is a red herring thrown out there to distract us. They could have (were seriously considering it) moved the comp to Lausanne or Torino (the two major possibilities) early this week but Japanese TV interests threatened to sue and Speedy caved.

vCash
    Has Speedy not said though to Hersh that it is still ISU's final decision? Let's hope he makes the right one.

vCash
    Yes, we can hope although with each day, it's dimming and personally my blood pressure is rising because the ISU is so 'bought and sold' and this may be the ultimate evidence of that. I am a business person and understand completely how much of this is business (a lot) and that's appropriate. But ALL of it is not business and every once in a while, when circumstances demand, it's time to grow a pair and disappoint the business interests while supporting the athletic interests.
    Last edited by Willowway; 03-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    As far as I can understand (from posts on this board), this means exactly the the JSF is not willing to give up to the event yet.
    The only possibly doable solution for Japan to host the 2011 world championships, would be in the fall.
    Apparently, if the JSF was willing to let go, the ISU could have aready agreed to place worlds in one of the cities/countries that volounteered.

-- Please, everybody, feel free to correct me if I didn't get things straight.
    I think that JSF never thinks unpleasantly about it, if any other country, for example Russia, Korea, Canada, USA, etc is kind enough to shoulder the Worlds instead of Japan.
    Rather, JSF thanks that country very much and will accept that.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 03-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.

vCash
    Willowway, while I can see where you are coming from, I think burning bridges with JSF and NHK could be an absolute disaster for our sport in the long run.

At a certain point, you have to make financially motivated decisions.

Since Japanese skaters are in line for medals, I think JSF is shooting themselves in the foot here by putting their athletes in a situation where they have to peak for worlds 2x within 5 months.

We've all seen Mao in the fall. I love the girl, but she's not a year round medal contender. She comes on strong in the end. Does JSF really want a worlds in the fall for her? Have they thought this through?

I wish there was a way SC and JSF could trade 2011 for 2013, even though that would be bad for me personally. (I could actually go to Hamilton!)
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    I think that JSF never thinks unpleasantly about it, if any other country, for example Russia, Korea, Canada, USA, etc is kind enough to shoulder Japanese debt, the Worlds of this season.
    As far as I'm concerned the Japanese Skating Fed can stuff it. It's their own fault if they failed to properly insure their event and it is not right to ask the ISU, other federations, and certainly not the skaters to carry that burden for them. The whole notion of putting off Worlds until fall is ridiculous.

Like everyone, my initial feelings were to be sorry for everyone in Japan for the natural disaster, but it is just wrong at this point for the JSF to continue blocking the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a World Championship that reasonably reflects a climax to this skating season.

IMO their stalling and offering ridiculous suggestions like Worlds in October should be beneath their dignity. It is an insult to every other federation and all the world's skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    From what I can gather from my sources this decision is all about what the Japanese TV sponsor (supported by the JSF) wants. The ISU (a not-for-profit) is here to represent and manage a good competitive environment for figure skating. This is a major failure and only gives me more certainty around my thoughts that skating is the last thing on the agenda for this governing body.

The whole situation in Japan is so sad, so concerning and in the middle of a national disaster there are apparently a bunch of TV execs who are thinking of nothing but $$$ and if they can't hold it in the autumn well, those are the breaks for everyone else. Ok, but they're the businessmen and acting like businessmen. But no one in the mix is lookingg at the big picture. No one is looking out for figure skating as a sport as the ISU is supposed to do and I find that beyond depressing. The whole 'these skaters have performance contracts' is a red herring thrown out there to distract us. They could have (were seriously considering it) moved the comp to Lausanne or Torino (the two major possibilities) early this week but Japanese TV interests threatened to sue and Speedy caved.
    If you think that JSF and the TV company in Japan always behave thinking only of the profit, I think that your understanding about the Japanese is insufficient.
    Under the case of the disaster in this time, not only the public TV like NHK but also most commercial TV reduced the usual general broadcasting of stable sponsor under their own free will and are broadcasting the news programs even for 1 week having disregarded a profit.
    The sponsor, too, shows understanding about that.

I think that JSF is conscious of a strong responsibility against ISU, the other Federations, Players, fans, etc, as for not having been able to hold the Worlds as scheduled, even if it is caused by the earthquake.

JSF think that they want to achieve their own responsibility if it is possible.
    However, the best time which JSF can show at present is probably only in September or in October.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    The whole situation in Japan is so sad, so concerning and in the middle of a national disaster there are apparently a bunch of TV execs who are thinking of nothing but $$$ and if they can't hold it in the autumn well, those are the breaks for everyone else.
    Can anyone explain why the Japanese TV people would not make as much money from having Worlds to broadcast in, say, May or June as they would in October? Is it that more people would watch on TV when the event is held in Japan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the Japanese Skating Fed can stuff it. It's their own fault if they failed to properly insure their event and it is not right to ask the ISU, other federations, and certainly not the skaters to carry that burden for them. The whole notion of putting off Worlds until fall is ridiculous.

Like everyone, my initial feelings were to be sorry for everyone in Japan for the natural disaster, but it is just wrong at this point for the JSF to continue blocking the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a World Championship that reasonably reflects a climax to this skating season.

IMO their stalling and offering ridiculous suggestions like Worlds in October should be beneath their dignity. It is an insult to every other federation and all the world's skaters.
    I think that JSF has never blocked the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a Worlds.
    JSF only attempts to propose the time when it is possible that Japan hosts it.
    I think that it is the best solution if an any other country shoulders kindly the Worlds of this season.
    I think that the holding of September or October may be the proposal which is better than nothing at all.

vCash
    Can anyone explain why the Japanese TV people would not make as much money from having Worlds to broadcast in, say, May or June as they would in October? Is it that more people would watch on TV when the event is held in Japan?
    One factor is the time difference for the live broadcast. More people watch TV at 9pm than at 2am.

Plus the fact that the Worlds are in your own country always increases interest in the event, there will be more newspaper articles and TV interviews with skaters. The crowd is on the home skaters' side, which also looks good on the broadcast.

Otherwise, I don't know anything about sponsorship deals.

vCash
    I think that JSF has never blocked the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a Worlds.
    Actually, at the moment, they are. The ISU will apparently not move forward with alternative locations until the JSF give the OK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I'm afraid such selfish skaters would be punished by the iron fist of the ISU, and their federations will do the same if the spots were reduced. This is a really unusual situation. They must cooperate if they want to save their careers.
    I fear the same.I don't however think the skaters are selfish one bit. But I wouldn't put it past Speedy to try and punish no-shows in some way.

Holding Worlds in October is just bizaare.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 03-18-2011 at 04:26 AM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    I think that it is very strange because many persons in this thread seem to think as if JSF's proposal that they intend to iron out so as to be able to host the Worlds in September or in the beginning of October is a plot owing to the business policy of TV company or the sponsor.

I can believe that this JSF's proposal is a well-intentioned one because the unselfish well-intentioned proposal is not rare in the society of Japan at least.

Because Russia Skating Federation had proposed to host the Worlds recently, it is obvious that JSF has never blocked any other country which is kind enough to shoulder the Worlds in stead of Japan.

To have the lead-time of 5 months after a safe declaration by the country has been declared, JSF has no alternative except in September or in October.

I think that JSF proposed one alternative, therefore, ISU can select the best proposal in plural alternatives.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 03-18-2011 at 06:11 AM.

vCash
    I think that it is very strange because many persons in this thread seem to think as if JSF's proposal that they intend to iron out so as to be able to host the Worlds in September or in the beginning of October is a plot owing to the business policy of TV company or the sponsor.

I can believe that this JSF's proposal is a well-intentioned one because the unselfish well-intentioned proposal is not rare in the society of Japan at least.

Because Russia Skating Federation had proposed to host the Worlds recently, it is obvious that JSF has never blocked any other country which is kind enough to shoulder the Worlds in stead of Japan.
    I think there's a lot of speculation on this thread. And sure I've speculated too. But I think none of us are there and privy to the conversation. There are some reports that Speedy approached the Japanese Federation about this one.

I decided not to sign said petition because while I think Worlds should be moved, if the Japanese fed IS fighting for worlds they may have their reasons, and I don't want to kick them when they are down in such an obvious way.

It is very possible this is all Speedy, and lets remember that. In the end, I don't care what politics are being played. Its high time that everyone grows up and starts putting the skating and the sport first.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash

this might be the single most post I've read in all these zillion threads about Worlds.

Thank you Akira Andrea for translating!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Willowway, while I can see where you are coming from, I think burning bridges with JSF and NHK could be an absolute disaster for our sport in the long run.
    I just want to say that, as far as I know, the TV broadcaster in this case isn't NHK, but Fuji or Asahi TV (I think one was set for Worlds and the other for the WTT, right?).

They do have 3 major broadcasters for figure skating in Japan, as far as I'm aware. Would a Japanese please correct me if I'm wrong?

vCash
    Holding Worlds in the fall is total nonsense! can't they just cancel for good and be done with it! how do they expect skaters to be on top of their game if they are kept in limbo right now
    Last edited by sandra_persch; 03-18-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast