Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
    And when Japanese television and corporations are the ISU's main source of $$$ these days, it's not hard to see why Speedy is bending over backward to accomodate them.
    Exactly. The way $peedy is acting now makes perfect sense to me when you think about how much is at stake. If he alienates the Japanese now and disregards their wishes regarding worlds, he risks losing all that sponsorship money in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    Exactly. The way $peedy is acting now makes perfect sense to me when you think about how much is at stake. If he alienates the Japanese now and disobeys their wishes regarding worlds, he risks losing all that sponsorship money in the future.
    All Speedy ever sees is $$$
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    If they can't sort out an alternate site for a late spring Worlds 2011, has anyone suggested using that time slot (the World Team Trophy weekend) not for a competition - but for an ISU- and federations-sanctioned Japan-relief benefit.

In one of those cities ready to host a big skating event - right now.

With the skaters ready and able to travel, as they would have for the ISU event.

Not easy to put together... but easier to put together than a World Championship. And probably something that the skaters, teams would be psyched to participate in.

There were some impressive, swiftly arranged benefit concerts put together after the Haiti earthquake, Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, all shown on TV, surely there are people who know how to do this.
    Call George Clooney, he can seem to arrange stuff pretty quickly.

vCash
    I feel the majority of the posters here are being unfair to Cinquanta. You may not agree with his decisions, but how do you know for a fact that "all he cares about is $$$" or that "he doesn't care about the skaters"? I know that I would never want to be in his shoes, especially right now. And no matter what the decision is, you won't please everyone.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    I feel the majority of the posters here are being unfair to Cinquanta. You may not agree with his decisions, but how do you know for a fact that "all he cares about is $$$" or that "he doesn't care about the skaters"? I know that I would never want to be in his shoes, especially right now. And no matter what the decision is, you won't please everyone.
    Agreed.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Woah, hey guys! All I did was go to school for one day and I come back to find a new thread?

Anyway, my mom and I had a very long discussion today, after which I came to two conclusions:
    1. I hope that, in some way, this serves an an impetus for figure/synchro skaters to create the International Figure Skating Union or something like that, with a strong planner at the head. I don't fault Speedy for what's going on, but I don't think he's a very effective leader-nor do I think he properly understands the sport he represents. This isn't his "fault," and speed skaters probably love him, but he just isn't getting the job done for figure skaters. And they deserve someone who understands their specific needs and concerns.

2. If JSF is fighting to make this Worlds happen (or worse, threatening to sue), their priorities seem slightly off to me. But that's a judgement call and I don't feel like starting a heated argument.

Either way, the situation in Japan is awful and I just don't think one Worlds will ever, EVER be anywhere NEAR as important as Japanese recovery.

vCash
    Cinquanta's record of robbing the figure skating side of the federation to fund the speed-skating side of the sport is a long-standing issue. His attempted cover-up of various judging scandals is well-known. The elite suites for ISU folks at Worlds and other international events, while prize money declines for skaters is also out there.

His ram-through of ISU regulations designed to squelch even the mildest criticism of the judging system can be documented. Oh, and there's a large villa in Italy that begs questions of how it was funded.

That said, to keep the sport doing even what it is now requires sponsor money, and yes, he does need to keep it coming in, Japan is the country (like the US in the 1990s) that is funding the rest of the world's international skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    1. I hope that, in some way, this serves an an impetus for figure/synchro skaters to create the International Figure Skating Union or something like that,
    How about the World Skating Federation - I think I have my pin somewhere in my file drawers.

vCash
    New Hersh blog: Along with an offer from Russia, USFS has offered Colorado Springs or Lake Placid for late May/early April.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...is-spring.html
    Last edited by Gidget; 03-17-2011 at 12:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    The tour companies don't have to cancel their shows because a few skaters from their cast are missing. They could replace them with skaters who aren't competing at the Worlds this year.

In any case, this is a local problem concerning one or two countries. The World Championships cannot be cancelled because of such a reason. The whole show/tour industry depends on ISU competitions to prove who the champions are. These industries feed on the skaters and on the ISU. So for this one-in-a-century situation, they could allow the skaters to break their contracts and compete in the Worlds.

I can't imagine the dates of the French tour not being adjusted to the Worlds (will there be a tour this year?) and as for the main Russian tour, the rules seem somewhat informal since Ilia Averbukh has already allowed skaters to break their contracts for personal reasons that did not really require them to be elsewhere than on the tour/TV show.
    Sure if you want to lose money by people who won't buy tickets .. it's not the only consideration but it's one of many that the ISU has to take into account

vCash
    I can't speak for anyone else here, but I judge $peedy to be indifferent to figure skaters based on his long established track record of indifference toward figure skaters. His decision making toward figure skating has always been capricious - moving from ordinals to OBO, then scrapping the 6.0 system when the issue in 2002 had nothing to do with the scoring system, but corruption and collusion in the judging ranks. The NJS has it's merits, but they key flaw at it's core is secret judging, and the lack of accountability. This was done to protect he judges and the federations, not for the benefit of he skaters. Statistically, the anonymous judging promotes cheating.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the head of the JSF is a former speed skater, as well as a well-connected member of the Diet. She was even a Deputy Foreign Minister for a brief time. She could give $peedy major agita

vCash
    And when he "warned" Joannie who wanted to skate in honor of her mother on TV but skipping the Worlds? and pressured Yu-Na to partecipate at 2010 4CC?

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MKDaneher View Post

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the head of the JSF is a former speed skater, as well as a well-connected member of the Diet. She was even a Deputy Foreign Minister for a brief time. She could give $peedy major agita
    How? What's she gonna do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Sure if you want to lose money by people who won't buy tickets .. it's not the only consideration but it's one of many that the ISU has to take into account
    The ISU has no obligation to take into account how many tickets the private tour companies in one or two countries will sell or not sell. That is not the ISU's problem at all. Neither is it the problem of the other 30+ countries who participate in the world championships.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    2. If JSF is fighting to make this Worlds happen (or worse, threatening to sue), their priorities seem slightly off to me. But that's a judgement call and I don't feel like starting a heated argument.
    And yet by posting it, you are inviting debate on it.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    (I hope) ultimate reason why championships take place: for sport - not for profit.
    How do you propose to have the skaters pay for their pure sport? Where will they get the money for training, for ice time, for skates, blades, or for costumes if they cancel their show contracts to skate Worlds at the whim of the ISU, and forego prize money to win Worlds for the purity of the sport?

It's quite noble of you to ask the skaters to give up their income and skate for free. It's not you that will be out their total year's earnings in the process.

vCash
    how do you know for a fact that "all he cares about is $$$" or that "he doesn't care about the skaters"?
    Cinquanta: "You cannot always listen to what the skaters want. These are exceptional circumstances. Some of the skaters are even minors."
    I think the major issue with the potential May-July Worlds is (apart from the fact that some skaters will not have access to ice) the eligibility rules. Eligible skaters aren't supposed to skate in shows during the season. If Worlds was in, say, May, wouldn't that mean that the season now encompasses that period of time from October 2010 to May 2011? Suddenly skaters can't perform at shows until after Worlds in May at risk of losing their eligibility. And what happens if Worlds is in October? Does that mean the skaters cannot perform in shows until then? What happens to their eligibility? And if by the letter of the rules they can't, well gee, how nice that'll be for them, "Sorry, because we're greedy and want our money, we're going to stop you making money for yourself."

Perhaps I've confused myself, but I just find myself quite sensitive to eligibility issues at the moment. I'd hate to see any of the skaters get into the same knot that Plushenko found himself in - by accident or with hardly any notice.

tl;dr my understanding of the eligibility rules is that an eligible skater cannot skate in shows during the competition season. If Worlds is held later in the year that means the competition season is extended, thereby eligible skaters can't skate in shows until Worlds is held, therefore restricting their earning capacity and putting skaters in danger of accidentally becoming ineligible. Correct read, wrong read, or other read of the situation re that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I think the major issue with the potential May-July Worlds is (apart from the fact that some skaters will not have access to ice) the eligibility rules. Eligible skaters aren't supposed to skate in shows during the season. If Worlds was in, say, May, wouldn't that mean that the season now encompasses that period of time from October 2010 to May 2011? Suddenly skaters can't perform at shows until after Worlds in May at risk of losing their eligibility. And what happens if Worlds is in October? Does that mean the skaters cannot perform in shows until then? What happens to their eligibility? And if by the letter of the rules they can't, well gee, how nice that'll be for them, "Sorry, because we're greedy and want our money, we're going to stop you making money for yourself."

Perhaps I've confused myself, but I just find myself quite sensitive to eligibility issues at the moment. I'd hate to see any of the skaters get into the same knot that Plushenko found himself in - by accident or with hardly any notice.

tl;dr my understanding of the eligibility rules is that an eligible skater cannot skate in shows during the competition season. If Worlds is held later in the year that means the competition season is extended, thereby eligible skaters can't skate in shows until Worlds is held, therefore restricting their earning capacity and putting skaters in danger of accidentally becoming ineligible. Correct read, wrong read, or other read of the situation re that?
    I would assume ISU would have to make exceptions to those rules. This is a one time occurrence, after all.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Detroit Free Press article titled "World Figure Skating Championships coaches not in favor of move to October": http://www.freep.com/article/2011031...|text|Sports|s
    I [Jo-Ann Barnas] spoke to three figure skating coaches today -- including two who coach five of the top 11 teams in the ISU world rankings in ice dance -- and none of them wants to see worlds moved to October. Each said they'd prefer to hold the competition in April or May in another country, if possible.
    (the 3 quoted are Dungjen, Shpilband and Camerlengo)

vCash
    I've gotta jump on board before this thread closes! I knew that I was missing major discussions by not logging on to FSU for a few days. This may have been discussed in one of the earlier threads (I only had a chance to read the current one), but I would think that the powers that be would have to take into account the ability, both mentally/emotionally and physically, of the japanese skaters to compete at Worlds if they were held within the next month or two. And since they make up a pretty good portion of the top tier in ladies and mens, would it be fair to them to go forward? I know they're athletes, but this event is life-changing, and they may not be able to perform to their usual standards in the midst of it. My vote is to cancel Worlds this year. Probably not a popular vote, but there you have it...

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast