Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Kostner
    "I am very sorry because I love japanese people and they also showed me great appreciation in return. My sadness is nothing compared to what they are experiencing. I am very close to my fellow skaters from Japan and I hope none of their families is involved in this tragedy. Japan is one of the places where skating is most appreciated and I am convinced that we will be back to skate there sooner than imagined"."
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/caroli...50420698265024

vCash
    The ice shows excuse is kinda lame. Any time you see a list of performers at an ice show, there's always a caveat saying "scheduled to appear", or something alluding to the fact that the cast can change. You've got a better shot of skaters skipping a tour stop or two to skate in an April/May worlds then skaters being able to stay healthy and in top form a full 6 months later then necessary.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Courtesy of Mao Asada fan forum

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/storie....php?id=340753

Nothing new, different quotes and some other "respect for the Japanese".
    Btw the poster at Asada forum noticed that, according to this article, it was Cinquanta who inquired JSF for the October solution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    WOW, that's very first official request by such high-ranking government official on this matter. I hope Cinquanta takes the offer as Putin can make it happen.
    Yes! Speedy, listen to them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    With Worlds 2012 spots on the line, why would the federations not assess the rosters, to ensure that the skaters selected nine (9) months earlier (Jan 2011) for a March 2011 Worlds are still the best possible skaters to send to an event in October? Huge changes can happen in a young skater's body in nine month's time -- especially in the summer months, when most skaters eat, relax, deal with puberty monster, etc. Russia and other federations usually have post-summer 'test skates' for this very reason; summer can wreak havoc on young bodies. The ISU should not expect skaters to go into hybernation for 9 months.

Also - By October, a skater who was not age-eligible in March 2011 may suddenly be age-eligible and be in better shape to help a country earn extra spots for the next season. If Anna Ovcharova of Russia is healthy and fit by Sept 2011, I can easily see her being named to Worlds above Makarova, for example. She and other Russian gals turning 15/16 would suddenly be eligible for Worlds (but not yet Adelina and Liza).
    This is a postponement of a competition that was to be held in March of 2011; all participants should remain intact. No substitutes unless they are injured and the only substitutes can come from the substitutes already on the list. This is not a new competition. Too bad if you have better skaters in October let them earn their way onto the team starting after Worlds 2011 ends, even if it's a week later.

vCash
    I don't know if someone didn't post it before
    http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...4&id=536240903
    Speedy made some new friends

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    The tour companies don't have to cancel their shows because a few skaters from their cast are missing. They could replace them with skaters who aren't competing at the Worlds this year.

In any case, this is a local problem concerning one or two countries. The World Championships cannot be cancelled because of such a reason. The whole show/tour industry depends on ISU competitions to prove who the champions are. These industries feed on the skaters and on the ISU. So for this one-in-a-century situation, they could allow the skaters to break their contracts and compete in the Worlds.
    And its not like the Worlds would last the entire tour season. Its 1 week at the most. Not to mention thier might be backlash from the fans if the tours don't allow this concession to the skaters. How many of us would be happy knowing that our favorite skater may be denied winning a World medal, competing at worlds or becoming champion because the tour would not allow a contract modification. I would certainly speak with my wallet by not purchasing tickets to future shows. I know that if I had tickets to a show during the rescheduled Worlds date I would not mind missing my favorite skater(s) knowing that they were competing at Worlds.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    As for training four programs if worlds were to be in October: the ISU could simply state that CoP won't change this year (nor will the compulsory part in the SD), or that CoP will change as usual but skaters will skate to the new rules in October.

=> Only two programs to train.

That leaves having two world championships skated with the same programs, and quite a swing in the training to peak.

(BTW, if the JSF is the one insisting for that, they're not doing it for Asada, as October is one of her worse month of the year).

---

On a different note. Do you, as fans, feel that we should be told what's going on, what reasonings are behind this waltz?

vCash
    My feeling is that the tours will be more than willing to cooperate if the WC had to be in April. ISU needs to make the effort to negotiate though.

vCash
    The volunteers are lining up. Speedy should just take a day or two to do some basic evaluations of the venues so Worlds can take place sometime next week

October is a BAAADDD idea, wrong in so many levels ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Worlds in October is like holding the World Series in April or the Super Bowl in September.

How does Speedy think that makes sense?
    Aaron Rodgers you just won the Superbowl, now what are you going to do?

I'm going to wait 7 days and play a season opener against Chicago

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millipied View Post
    So far, this is confirmed, not speculated, list of volunteer cities willing to host NOW:
    Lausanne
    Turino
    Malmo
    Moscow
    The sensible thing to do would be to take one of these generous hosts up on their offers to host the event in the coming weeks prior to the middle of April. The ISU president, however, isn't known for his sensible decision making.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Japan quake puts BG figure skater's dreams on hold
    http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...cal&id=8015061

article and video interview with Alissa

vCash
    If they can't sort out an alternate site for a late spring Worlds 2011, has anyone suggested using that time slot (the World Team Trophy weekend) not for a competition - but for an ISU- and federations-sanctioned Japan-relief benefit.

In one of those cities ready to host a big skating event - right now.

With the skaters ready and able to travel, as they would have for the ISU event.

Not easy to put together... but easier to put together than a World Championship. And probably something that the skaters, teams would be psyched to participate in.

There were some impressive, swiftly arranged benefit concerts put together after the Haiti earthquake, Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, all shown on TV, surely there are people who know how to do this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Why is Phil Hersh trying to insert himself into this decision? What does it have to do with him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I think all Phil is trying to do is get some answers since there is so much confusion. I think he's trying to push Cinquanta into finally laying out the options that are being considered. Can't really blame him for that.
    Related to what Yazmeen said, Phil is a reporter. It's his job to pursue people like Cinquanta and try to get answers from them, as well as, in his case in editorial, to provide his own commentary.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I know that folks don't like Speedy (I'm one of them), but the JSF is probably bankrupt without putting on a Worlds. That's a huge problem for one of the Federations bringing the best of singles skating at the moment, not to mention the tours and appearances that happen in Japan.

It is crazy to schedule a Worlds in October, but with the financial ruin of a federation at stake, it's not hard to understand why the ISU is even contemplating this idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatfan View Post
    I know that folks don't like Speedy (I'm one of them), but the JSF is probably bankrupt without putting on a Worlds. .
    Bankrupt in general, or bankrupt because they have already sunk a lot of money into Worlds prep?

vCash
    I don't know if this quote from Cinquanta has been posted yet - if not, it's a gem.

You cannot always listen to what the skaters want. These are exceptional circumstances. Some of the skaters are even minors."
    As always, a man of astounding grace and tact.

vCash
    I know that folks don't like Speedy (I'm one of them), but the JSF is probably bankrupt without putting on a Worlds. That's a huge problem for one of the Federations bringing the best of singles skating at the moment, not to mention the tours and appearances that happen in Japan.

It is crazy to schedule a Worlds in October, but with the financial ruin of a federation at stake, it's not hard to understand why the ISU is even contemplating this idea.

Not being a but given the current situation with the nuclear plants and the threat of meltdowns, who really thinks Japan would be able to host any sports events this year?

vCash

And when Japanese television and corporations are the ISU's main source of $$$ these days, it's not hard to see why Speedy is bending over backward to accomodate them.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast