Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Are there (m)any skaters who train at rinks where the ice ends in March? Elite skaters may take some time off after worlds but in my experience rinks that close in the spring do not re-open until autumn and I can't imagine any elite skater skating at rink that only opens for half the year and if they do they must have a summer training rink where they would be regardless of the timing of worlds
    Savchenko/Szolkowy mentioned that losing ice after a certain point in the season is an issue for them, although they have the resources to be able to find another training rink, if necessary.

I can't point to other specific skaters simply because I'm forgetting their exact names, other than to say that in some countries - not the big guns in skating, but the smaller federations - skaters have mentioned that their rinks close in the summer months, and there is no money to send them abroad, so they do other types of training in the summer months. I wish I could remember the names; I'm sorry that I cannot.

I know these folks aren't going to win a medal at Worlds, and might not even make it out of the qualifying rounds, but they want to skate their best. I also fear injury if a skater goes to Worlds after having been off the ice for a month or longer.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    So it cannot be held in April or in May because some skaters may be on tours or preparing new programs, but it's fine to hold it in October even if it means that the same or other skaters shall be absent.
    In October it will be easy for this skaters withdraw - they will not have any shows in October
    I want to see the list of this skaters, who send privite emails to Chinquanta they will not be at WCh, wich will be hold in April. Espacially, because this skaters must take part at WTT in April

vCash
    I think it sounds like Cinquanta has personally decided that the Worlds should be held in October.

In his telephone conversation with Phil Hersh posted in the previous thread, he says about the possibility of holding them in April:

About May:

But when it comes to October:

So it cannot be held in April or in May because some skaters may be on tours or preparing new programs, but it's fine to hold it in October even if it means that the same or other skaters shall be absent.

Here's the link again.
    With the tours though there would be legal contracts in place. The tour companies have to book arenas and the people and staff that go along to set up for a date.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    In October it will be easy for this skaters withdraw - they will not have any shows in October
    I want to see the list of this skaters, who send privite emails to Chinquanta they will not be at WCh, wich will be hold in April. Espacially, because this skaters must take part at WTT in April
    Well Pani - SOI is touring in Canada in April so Virtue and Moir would be on tour.

vCash
    Nathalie Pechalat and Alissa Czisny are quoted in this post.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 03-17-2011 at 06:58 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    With the tours though there would be legal contracts in place. The tour companies have to book arenas and the people and staff that go along to set up for a date.
    How many skaters could miss show in April?
    D-W will skate only in few shows at SOI. Maybe Alisa, Bradly.
    As for CSOI - this will be Phahef, Sawer, V-M.
    But.... Isnt WTT will planed to hopd in 14 April? This skaters must be there, not in SOI or CSOI

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I agree that the inconsistency in Speedy's position is silly. He's very worried that some skaters will skip Worlds in April because of show contracts, but it's "out of his control" if some skip because they're retiring and won't train for an additional 7 months to be ready for Worlds in October.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 03-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I think it sounds like Cinquanta has personally decided that the Worlds should be held in October.

In his telephone conversation with Phil Hersh posted in the previous thread, he says about the possibility of holding them in April:

Why is Phil Hersh trying to insert himself into this decision? What does it have to do with him?

vCash
    How many skaters could miss show in April?
    D-W will skate only in few shows at SOI. Maybe Alisa, Bradly.
    As for CSOI - this will be Phahef, Sawer, V-M.
    But.... Isnt WTT will planed to hopd in 14 April? This skaters must be there, not in SOI or CSOI
    D/W's tour dates with SOI are April 1-9; CSOI doesn't begin until April 21. In both cases the skaters who'd be invited to WTT, like D/W and Cynthia, would still have been able to attend (though I believe, per the current rules, that C/P would be the dance team selected for Canada, not V/M, on account of the latter's having missed the Grand Prix season and failed to complete 4CC).

But in either case, this is only directly relevant to the topic at hand if an April Worlds could be guaranteed to fall in the same timeframe as WTT, which I'm not so sure is true. And in any event, I doubt Stars On Ice would actually require any of its Worlds-bound participants to hold to their contracts, should tour dates conflict with a new Worlds date.
    Last edited by lavenderblue; 03-16-2011 at 10:05 PM.

vCash
    I like the Malmo or Lausanne idea wether now or in October.
    To be honest I am very sceptical that even in October Tokyo will be ready to host This is not anymore just earthquake, this is turning into nuclear disaster of Chernobyl proportion. Even Clinton aknowledged today that this is catasrophe of Biblical proportion.

I assume that the biggest deal-breaker in making swift decision here is financial considerations as it looks like the event is not covered by insurance for situation like this, which means that huge amount of loss not just for JSF but also for ISU. I would not like to be in Cinquanta's shoes right now. A lot of suggestions are easier to say than to implement. I hope that whatever decision is made it helps to get the sport out of this with as little financial damage as possible. Going bankrupt will hurt this sport more than missed one championship or changed training schedule.

vCash
    I think all Phil is trying to do is get some answers since there is so much confusion. I think he's trying to push Cinquanta into finally laying out the options that are being considered. Can't really blame him for that.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Worlds in October is like holding the World Series in April or the Super Bowl in September.

How does Speedy think that makes sense?

And I would think tours and skaters would be willing to work around an April or May date because the prestige of World Medals sells tickets.

vCash
    Russia want to hold WCh in Moscow in nearest time. Please, Speedy, please
    http://allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=48454

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    With Worlds 2012 spots on the line, why would the federations not assess the rosters, to ensure that the skaters selected nine (9) months earlier (Jan 2011) for a March 2011 Worlds are still the best possible skaters to send to an event in October? Huge changes can happen in a young skater's body in nine month's time -- especially in the summer months, when most skaters eat, relax, deal with puberty monster, etc. Russia and other federations usually have post-summer 'test skates' for this very reason; summer can wreak havoc on young bodies. The ISU should not expect skaters to go into hybernation for 9 months.

Also - By October, a skater who was not age-eligible in March 2011 may suddenly be age-eligible and be in better shape to help a country earn extra spots for the next season. If Anna Ovcharova of Russia is healthy and fit by Sept 2011, I can easily see her being named to Worlds above Makarova, for example. She and other Russian gals turning 15/16 would suddenly be eligible for Worlds (but not yet Adelina and Liza).
    Are there rules about injured/sick/whatever skaters being replaced in a "normal" worlds circumstance? If federations had to submit who's competing, I'm guessing the rules for substitutions would be the same. What that means, who knows. If someone had a bad summer, I'm sure they could be "injured" when the time came.

As for the age thing, if they move this to October, I would assume (we all know what happens when you do that), that it would still be the 2011 worlds, the final competition of the 2010/2011 season. that means, even in October, the same seasonal age limit would be enforced.

(I still think October is stupid. Just sayin.)
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Russia want to hold WCh in Moscow in nearest time. Please, Speedy, please
    http://allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=48454
    WOW, that's very first official request by such high-ranking government official on this matter. I hope Cinquanta takes the offer as Putin can make it happen.

vCash
    I nominate this place. It's in a spectacular setting, the ice isn't booked up for other events, it's far enough away from Japan to be free of any nuclear clouds, and it's Argentina's turn to host an ISU championship!

There is limited accomodation in El Chaltén and El Calafate, but there is plenty of space for camping!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    The tour companies don't have to cancel their shows because a few skaters from their cast are missing. They could replace them with skaters who aren't competing at the Worlds this year.

In any case, this is a local problem concerning one or two countries. The World Championships cannot be cancelled because of such a reason. The whole show/tour industry depends on ISU competitions to prove who the champions are. These industries feed on the skaters and on the ISU. So for this one-in-a-century situation, they could allow the skaters to break their contracts and compete in the Worlds.

I can't imagine the dates of the French tour not being adjusted to the Worlds (will there be a tour this year?) and as for the main Russian tour, the rules seem somewhat informal since Ilia Averbukh has already allowed skaters to break their contracts for personal reasons that did not really require them to be elsewhere than on the tour/TV show.

vCash
    So far, this is confirmed, not speculated, list of volunteer cities willing to host NOW:
    Lausanne
    Turino
    Malmo
    Moscow

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    Seems obvious to me that Speedy floating the idea of Worlds in October is definitely spurring several other countries into action, with Malmo and Moscow both offering themselves up as options.

Ultimately, I think that Worlds needs to be moved and held as soon as possible in another location.

But, part of me is kind of hoping that Speedy succeeds in this harebrained idea of moving Worlds to October because can you imagine the number of federations that are going to be really steamed about how that impacted their skaters for the 2011-12 season and come June 2012, there at least would be a chance that Speedy could be booted from office as a result of what will surely turn into a fiasco.
    Future FSUer to me before Gedevanishvili's SA 2010 SP - "Aunt Karen, what is she wearing?"

vCash
    He's now using this Ice shows thing as an excuse.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast