Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    For RD--if it's the case that the JSF are the ones holding things up, why would Cinquanta make it sound like ISU resources are an issue? The feeling I got was Cinquanta is feeling hamstung a bit by the JSF and would like to see it moved, but is trying to be polite under the circumstances.
    Things certainly seem to now be pointing in the direction of the JSF and their insistence that they can host this event regardless of the strong possibility that the situation there may not have even stabilized by Sept/Oct.

I still remember that the ISU was reporting that the JSF said Worlds was good to go in the early hours after the tragedy (this was before the nuclear scare/additional quakes, though)

vCash
    Worlds in October with skaters performing 2011-2012 programs would just be 2012 Worlds part 1. Or would they be expected to perform this year's programs?

Strange idea. I would think a new location in April or May would make more sense for it to be this season's championship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    If Worlds is schedule in Spring or Summer I'd expect it to be "small" -- smaller arena (capacity-wise), fewer out-of-town ticket purchasers, and probably something that would work well in a more modest venue with less need for hotel rooms. I don't think that would be intrinsically bad.
    I'm with you, sister!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Malmo, Sweden wants to organize the event: http://svt.se/2.84274/1.2363021/sven...onstaknings-vm

And they are ready to organize it fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    This article was published on Tuesday, March 15 (yesterday), and is kind of outdated.
    Nobody's perfect...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Malmo, Sweden wants to organize the event: http://svt.se/2.84274/1.2363021/sven...onstaknings-vm

"We have time and we have ice that is painted white"

I guess Google Translate did the best it could

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    To me, not a good answer. My own thing is that in some parts of the world, there's no ice at rinks after March, so some skaters could have been without ice for over a month before a May WC.
    Are there (m)any skaters who train at rinks where the ice ends in March? Elite skaters may take some time off after worlds but in my experience rinks that close in the spring do not re-open until autumn and I can't imagine any elite skater skating at rink that only opens for half the year and if they do they must have a summer training rink where they would be regardless of the timing of worlds

vCash

This makes it three European cities with a lot of experience offering to organize it fast. I hope that for the sake of the skaters, fans and the sport one of the offers is taken.

vCash

Actually, that is what he says. Maybe he means that they don't have the painted hockey ice?

vCash
    Actually, that is what he says. Maybe he means that they don't have the painted hockey ice?
    He mean they didnt have any event at this arena at nearest future.
    I really wish ISU will give WCh them (or other city in Europe).
    And i cant maging, who send email to Chinquanta about contracts in show. Maybe only canadian skaters?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Worlds in October with skaters performing 2011-2012 programs would just be 2012 Worlds part 1. Or would they be expected to perform this year's programs?

Strange idea. I would think a new location in April or May would make more sense for it to be this season's championship.
    Plus, if worlds is in October, does it mean that skaters born before July 1, 1996 are eligible?.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Things certainly seem to now be pointing in the direction of the JSF and their insistence that they can host this event regardless of the strong possibility that the situation there may not have even stabilized by Sept/Oct.

I still remember that the ISU was reporting that the JSF said Worlds was good to go in the early hours after the tragedy (this was before the nuclear scare/additional quakes, though)
    If this is true, could it be an issue of honor (that's a strong word, but perhaps the JSF feels that they want to prove they can do it)?

Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    Plus, if worlds is in October, does it mean that skaters born before July 1, 1996 are eligible?.....
    You are referring to Adelina? No. I believe you have to be 15 by July 1st of the previous year to compete in Sr. Worlds. So, she is not eligible regardless of when '11 Worlds is held. Plus, I believe the Russian Fed. was told she couldn't compete until 2013 anyway...
    Last edited by olympic; 03-16-2011 at 09:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    And i cant maging, who send email to Chinquanta about contracts in show. Maybe only canadian skaters?
    Yeah . That is a bit selfish...

vCash
    That does make sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    No, they would use they same skating lineup unless one of them got hurt they could still substitute from the original team members.

vCash
    It's pretty clear that financially the ISU cannot suddenly move this event to another country without losing millions. There is no time for that.

I think if they held worlds in October and then in March it would minimize each event.

I think Speedy needs to make his decision soon but right now I'm agreeing with PJ about what the right thing to do is.

vCash
    I think it sounds like Cinquanta has personally decided that the Worlds should be held in October.

In his telephone conversation with Phil Hersh posted in the previous thread, he says about the possibility of holding them in April:

(A championships) in April, it is not possible because certain skaters may already have commitments with exhibitions and so on. We run the risk to have a championships in April without certain skaters.
    About May:

To have the championships in May, I don't know if this is in the interest of the ISU. You can have some skaters say, `Excuse me, in May I am not in good form. I am preparing already the new programs for next year.'''
    But when it comes to October:

Question: If you have it in October, some skaters may not be there. Some may have retired.
    Cinquanta: We are in an exceptional situation. With exceptional circumstances, you need an exceptional decision. If in October somebody will withdraw or retire, it is not under my control.
    So it cannot be held in April or in May because some skaters may be on tours or preparing new programs, but it's fine to hold it in October even if it means that the same or other skaters shall be absent.

Here's the link again.

vCash
    No, they would use they same skating lineup unless one of them got hurt they could still substitute from the original team members.
    With Worlds 2012 spots on the line, why would the federations not assess the rosters, to ensure that the skaters selected nine (9) months earlier (Jan 2011) for a March 2011 Worlds are still the best possible skaters to send to an event in October? Huge changes can happen in a young skater's body in nine month's time -- especially in the summer months, when most skaters eat, relax, deal with puberty monster, etc. Russia and other federations usually have post-summer 'test skates' for this very reason; summer can wreak havoc on young bodies. The ISU should not expect skaters to go into hybernation for 9 months.

Also - By October, a skater who was not age-eligible in March 2011 may suddenly be age-eligible and be in better shape to help a country earn extra spots for the next season. If Anna Ovcharova of Russia is healthy and fit by Sept 2011, I can easily see her being named to Worlds above Makarova, for example. She and other Russian gals turning 15/16 would suddenly be eligible for Worlds (but not yet Adelina and Liza).
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    If this is true, could it be an issue of honor (that's a strong word, but perhaps the JSF feels that they want to prove they can do it)?
    Or maybe the JSF doesn't want to be out the money.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast