Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash

When (and where) is the world is Worlds? the saga continues

Tokyo? Korea? LA? Lausanne? May? October? WHO KNOWS?!?!

I think the latest is that an announcement is expected Friday or Monday. No idea what timezone, so skater eligibility may be affected.

And I think it's fair to say that everyone on this board (unless they're a total asshat) feels that what is going on in Japan is of a higher priority than a skating competition. But this is a skating board, and a pretty important competition has been impacted, so people may express disappointment, frustration or even crack a joke. None of this means that people don't care about what the people of Japan are going through.

ETA: If you are posting a link to an article, keep in mind that anything older than 1 hour has probably been 1) discussed to death and 2) superceded by new information.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Thanks for the new thread, genevieve!

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    And I think it's fair to say that everyone on this board (unless they're a total asshat) feels that what is going on in Japan is of a higher priority than a skating competition. But this is a skating board, and a pretty important competition has been impacted, so people may express disappointment, frustration or even crack a joke. None of this means that people don't care about what the people of Japan are going through.

vCash
    ...and for re-calibrating people's thoughts, emotions and perspective

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Same here. Thanks, genevieve.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Funny title

I wonder what will become of the WTT? November or December or still April?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Tokyo? Korea? LA? Lausanne? May? October? WHO KNOWS?!?!
    I meant to include Lake Freakin Placid in my list
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I'm not sure why May is worse than October. Problems with both of these I guess because you either extend/tax this season or next. I guess 'next' gives you more time to plan but yikes we'll see some crappy skating in October.

vCash
    The one piece I can't figure out is that in Cinquanta's statement (according to Hersh) he thinks that skaters won't go for a May Worlds because they'll be working on their new programs.

Won't this be a bigger problem in October, or is he operating on the assumption that everyone will bring new programs to Worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I'm not sure why May is worse than October. Problems with both of these I guess because you either extend/tax this season or next. I guess 'next' gives you more time to plan but yikes we'll see some crappy skating in October.
    May is worse than October according to who? Cinquanta? He says that athletes have told him that May is impossible because they are under contract to do tours and shows. Is that what you're asking?

ETA: sorry, no. I confused that with what he said about April. About May, he said:

Q. And May for championships is too late?

A. To have the championships in May, I don't know if this is in the interest of the ISU. You can have some skaters say, `Excuse me, in May I am not in good form. I am preparing already the new programs for next year.'''

Q. Are you worried the level of performances in October will not be very good?

A. It may be in October it would be better than in May. This is a lottery.
    To me, not a good answer. My own thing is that in some parts of the world, there's no ice at rinks after March, so some skaters could have been without ice for over a month before a May WC.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Would the ISU be having this dilemma if it were pre-1992/94 (before the 'professionalization" of "amateur" figure skating)? Even if similar disasters had occurred at a Worlds venue 2 weeks before the event. I suspect the answer would be "No.".... i.e., that it would be much easier to hold a 'no-frills, bare bones Worlds' at a different venue within 1-2 months (April or May) before the professionalization of the early 90s.

So how about putting aside the for-profit $pirit for one season -- one highly unusual season in which the horrible disasters happened -- and remember the purity of this sport and the (I hope) ultimate reason why championships take place: for sport - not for profit.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icemusings View Post
    The one piece I can't figure out is that in Cinquanta's statement (according to Hersh) he thinks that skaters won't go for a May Worlds because they'll be working on their new programs.

Won't this be a bigger problem in October, or is he operating on the assumption that everyone will bring new programs to Worlds?
    It sounds to me, from what he said, that to him, May or October - both could be equally as bad in terms of skater readiness. So my thought is that he feels October may be the better option because they'd have more time to organize the WC itself.

October could also potentially allow them to still hold this in Japan, as implied here:

Q. What about May in Japan?

A. It depends on them. But I don't believe they will be ready for May. If they are ready, are you sure all the skaters will go in May to Japan?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I'm still about 8 pages short of the end of the previous worlds thread, so I apologize if this was already said, but I dont think LA ever volunteered for anything. I looked at the Staples Center schedule, and they dont seem to have more than 3 days in a row free until mid to late June (hockey, basketball, concerts...).

As many others have said, Worlds in october is the worst options IMO. It screws up two seasons for the skaters. To me there are two far better options:

1. move it to somewhere with either recent worlds experience or a skating base large enough to pull a "smaller" worlds off, has a venue available end of April, first week of May, and can/will "help" with the visa issue (ie: Torino, Lausanne, Colorado Springs, Korea).

2. Cancel worlds. It would be a bummer, but with the tragic events in Japan, and showing consideration for skaters training schedule, it would be appropriate.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Willowway said in thread 2 in response to my post (the other thread was closed before I could respond):

RD, from what I've heard from my sources you are exactly right. It's not that the ISU wouldn't/couldn't move it to Europe right away (Italy or Switzerland) but rather that the JSF is fighting so hard to keep it. Perhaps this is the JSF's way of saying "things will be normal soon" and they simply can't let go of that optimistic notion. I'm speculating of course on that reasoning but the fact is that the JSF has a lot to do with what's going on behind the scenes.
    Somehow I'm not surprised. There seems to be a major investment by both parties in this event...but I just wish they would be honest with all of us. I seriously doubt there'd be THAT loud of an outcry if Cinquanta just said from day 1- something to this effect "We've invested a lot of money and resources into holding this event in Japan. We are unable to hold the event in Japan as scheduled. Moving the event elsewhere on short notice is really difficult not only due to logistics, but due to our financial commitment as well as the commitment of the JSF to make this happen. JSF has said they would be able to host this event in Sept. or Oct. of this year. We'll keep you updated on the situation."

At least said statement is straight up and explains the situation from a business point of view so everyone (more or less) understands. ISU just has not communicated well with the skaters/public at all. And poor communication often leads to misunderstandings, which lead to thoughts of incompetent leadership, etc.

vCash
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-16-2011 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    I'm still about 8 pages short of the end of the previous worlds thread, so I apologize if this was already said, but I dont think LA ever volunteered for anything. I looked at the Staples Center schedule, and they dont seem to have more than 3 days in a row free until mid to late June (hockey, basketball, concerts...).
    Don't worry, I've read the majority of posts from both the previous threads, and I don't recall this being brought up... if it was, sorry, I must have missed it.

Anyway, I too don't think the USFSA specifically offered LA as an alternate city. The way I read the article in regards to LA was that it mentioned that Worlds was held there in 2009.

vCash
    I appreciate what Phil Hersch has been doing - reaching out both to fellow reporters in Japan, and to Cinquanta himself. Without Phil doing this, we'd quite possibly be completely in the dark re: the ISU's plans.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    For RD--if it's the case that the JSF are the ones holding things up, why would Cinquanta make it sound like ISU resources are an issue? The feeling I got was Cinquanta is feeling hamstung a bit by the JSF and would like to see it moved, but is trying to be polite under the circumstances.

a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
    vCash

according to the Washington Post, postponed indefinitely

vCash
    If Worlds is schedule in Spring or Summer I'd expect it to be "small" -- smaller arena (capacity-wise), fewer out-of-town ticket purchasers, and probably something that would work well in a more modest venue with less need for hotel rooms. I don't think that would be intrinsically bad.

vCash
    This article was published on Tuesday, March 15 (yesterday), and is kind of outdated.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast