View Poll Results: Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Casey Abrams

22 37.93%
  • Haley Reinhart

9 15.52%
  • Jacob Lusk

7 12.07%
  • James Durbin

14 24.14%
  • Karen Rodriquez

7 12.07%
  • Lauren Alaina

13 22.41%
  • Naima Adedapo

1 1.72%
  • Paul McDonald

1 1.72%
  • Pia Toscano

33 56.90%
  • Scott Mccreery

32 55.17%
  • Stefano Langone

23 39.66%
  • Thia Megia

14 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Loving on babies!
    vCash
    This whole show was disturbing. Everyone moved and looked freaky. Naima was like Tina Turner on a bender. Paul sounds like a rodent in a blender and ambles around stage like someone in tetany who's been wandering the desert without water for a week. James butchered Bon Jovi, and thus must die. Stephano's closed eyes is becoming like the lip licking of Lizard boy (Archuleta) for me. Karen looks like Judy Jetson as a street walker. Casey is a disturbing combination of a hamster trying to be Grizzly Adams doing Kurt Cobain. And Jacob sounds like he's on goat patrol.

I'm glad I watched Survivor live instead....
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Best of the night? Rodney Jerkins.

I couldn't believe the amazing updates of Tina Turner and Whitney Houston. Best remakes Idol has ever seen!

Worst of the night? Stefano Langone. First, he spits on artists who have done more in their careers than he probably ever will. (And yes, that includes Milli Vanilli.) Then he over-sings his song to such a great extent that backstage, Jacob Lusk was saying, "girl, you gotta pull it back some!!" How many monsters out there has Christina Aguilera created???
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I didn't take Stefano's remarks about the other artists as digs at them personally or career wise. I took it as a funny joke about which songs would obviously never go over well being performed on the Idol stage. What would you say to someone who chose to perform the songs he mentioned? We would all be doom and gloom about the song choices. There would be that sliver of hope he could somehow make it current and new but we would all be laughing at him before he even began singing.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I just watched it. What a mess. Most people were pitchy (™Randy) or plain old boring. Or both.

Naima - A pitchy mess. The arrangement of the song was horrible. Also, don't dance.

Paul - BORING and his voice sucks. He's no Elton John, Billy Joel or even Joe Cocker. At least he toned down the atrocious "dancing" moves.

Thia - BORING. She's stunningly beautiful and has an amazing voice. That was not, though.

James - He had a doll when he was a boy. Hehehe. And he got his laugh from his mom. His performance was not bad, but still a little boring. Or maybe that song was.

Haley - I like her voice but she made this song unrecognizable. Not in a good way, either. I only realized it was a Whitney Houston's song when they mentioned it. She needs to pick her songs right.

Stefano - Not bad, but nothing special.

Pia - Loved that video of her belting out Whitney when she was little. Very good voice, but only Whitney could sing her songs with conviction to sell some of them. The pajama-jumpsuit and the infantile hearts behind her didn't help. Boring and uninspired.

Scotty - I don't like country (with few exceptions) but that was the first performance that sounded credible to me last night. Plus he's cute (and I just realized he could be my son... ) Wasn't pitchy, wasn't boring. Good voice and cute. Winner of the night so far.

Karen - Boring and pageantry. And a little pitchy, too.

Casey - His parents are a hoot! His mother doesn't look her age at all. Nirvana the serial killer style. I liked it, even though it did get a little crazy. He clearly is very talented. And he's not one iota boring. Musically, personally. Btw, he looked like Clay when he was a kid and now he looks like a chubby-faced Yags with a beard. Obviously not a bad combination.

Jacob (oops, forgot about him) - He completely surprised me a few weeks ago with his rendition of "A House Is Not a Home" (I had found him annoying before that) Almost made me cry. Maybe it was a fluke, because even though dude has a great voice the way he uses it, overdoing the vibrato and singing in the wrong key for him most of the time -- meh. In some way he reminds me of George Huff a little bit, though, and I loved George.

Lauren - Boring and at times very pitchy. And then boring some more.

Only Scotty and Casey stood out for me last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I just watched it. What a mess. Most people were pitchy (™Randy) or plain old boring. Or both.

Naima - A pitchy mess. The arrangement of the song was horrible. Also, don't dance.

Naima is a professional dancer & has taught dance...I say, dance on please.

Scotty - I don't like country (with few exceptions) but that was the first performance that sounded credible to me last night. Plus he's cute (and I just realized he could be my son... ) Wasn't pitchy, wasn't boring. Good voice and cute. Winner of the night so far.

Cute? I guess you thought George W & Alfred E Newman were cute. Different strokes.
    Karen - Boring and pageantry. And a little pitchy, too.

Casey - His parents are a hoot! His mother doesn't look her age at all. Nirvana the serial killer style. I liked it, even though it did get a little crazy. He clearly is very talented. And he's not one iota boring. Musically, personally. Btw, he looked like Clay when he was a kid and now he looks like a chubby-faced Yags with a beard. Obviously not a bad combination.

Jacob (oops, forgot about him) - He completely surprised me a few weeks ago with his rendition of "A House Is Not a Home" (I had found him annoying before that) Almost made me cry. Maybe it was a fluke, because even though dude has a great voice the way he uses it, overdoing the vibrato and singing in the wrong key for him most of the time -- meh. In some way he reminds me of George Huff a little bit, though, and I loved George.

Lauren - Boring and at times very pitchy. And then boring some more.

Agree & agree & agree & agree.

Only Scotty and Casey stood out for me last night.
    I don't know that anyone really stood out for me last night.

ETA: James needs to learn to censor what he says.

vCash
    I was disappointed last night. Songs of your birth year with such a young cast pushes most of the songs into a time period that I didn't follow that much. The few songs I do know have been done to death and weren't enhanced much by the Idols to be. I did like Stefano and Pia. The rest had singing and/or performance problems that I couldn't get past. I really wanted to like Casey's performance, but...
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Naima is a professional dancer & has taught dance...
    She is? When she was trying to "dance" during her Umbrella performance last week I genuinely felt sorry for her. That was beyond terrible.

Cute? I guess you thought George W & Alfred E Newman were cute. Different strokes.
    I do have somewhat peculiar taste in men, but I don't think you'd need one to find Scott attractive. Even though not classically handsome (and this is exactly what I like in men ) aka boring, he's young, talented and carries himself in a rather mature manner. That low voice doesn't hurt him, either.

Btw, please don't use the red color (or colors in general). The quote feature works just fine.

vCash
    Last night show was a big disappointment.
    There were a few good performances but considering the fact that these are all very good singers(for once) it was shockingly bad. I forgive the fact that some are messing up live because it's not easy and before you try and refute that; there have been many live performances by hit music people that have been atrocious and off key. Alicia Keys has an amazing voice but she was terrible when she performed on Idol for an example.

And I think it's bad omen when I spend most of the night agreeing with Randy

I have never in all the seasons I've watched Idol disagreed with the judges more. It's like they are hearing it WAY different than I am. I miss Simon.

I initially loved the idea of these guys working with producers. But so far it hasn't been paying off. The arrangements have been terrible, A LOT.

You can't have someone do a dance mix of a song standing on stage by them self. It just doesn't work. It's as voidy as some skating programs

Anyway. I have a few favorites but if it doesn't start getting better soon, I'm not sure I will continue watching.

vCash
    I initially loved the idea of these guys working with producers. But so far it hasn't been paying off. The arrangements have been terrible
    I don't think that the contestants are receiving as much high quality vocal coaching as in seasons past, either,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    I initially loved the idea of these guys working with producers. But so far it hasn't been paying off. The arrangements have been terrible, A LOT.
    I read an article about what the music producers have to do. They each have to do two songs each week. But, they have less than three days to do both of the songs. They are spending far less time recording vocals than they normally do and are operating little sleep rushing to get things done. It's not a recipe for high quality results. Plus, there are additional limits posed by the quality of the material and the talent of the contestants.

vCash
    Is the results show on at 7 or 8? (Central Time)

vCash
    I wonder how much AI is paying these hugely sought after Producers. In particular, Darkchild. This effectively takes him out of work (as in, working for other artists, obviously not unemployed) for 3 months. He can still do some things on the side, I am sure, but nothing near the load he could normally do. I would think it would have to be big money because he is in high demand and probably charges a pretty penny for his work.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    She is? When she was trying to "dance" during her Umbrella performance last week I genuinely felt sorry for her. That was beyond terrible.
    I thought it was pretty great.

Casey's performance bordered on blasphemy. Jacob gave me a headache. James was extremely underwhelming. Stephano was alright; the terrible performances around him made his better. And Paul. Oh Paul. He legit might be one of the worst contestants to make the finals. Good lord. Points for being entertaining in an oh so horrific way, continuing the tradition of folks like Sanjaya, Kristi Lee Cook, and Danny Gokey. How can any person listen to that performance then honestly say to themselves, "This is a person who sings well, and I would like to buy that performance on iTunes." What fascinates me about him is seeing him totally bomb 2 weeks in a row and having the judges fawn over him anyway. In that sense he's more like the next Danny Gokey then the next Sanjaya.

Of course, then, the judges put the hammer down on the girls and give the guys passes.

Terrible night. Pia was solid as usual, but nothing spectacular.

vCash
    I think the one thing saving Paul is that he has a very unique voice. Love it or hate it, it is unlike any other. When someone is that different, people are bound to either love or hate him. Apparently, enough love him! I'd rather someone like him be on the show than someone like Sanjaya who had no vocal talent, no vocal uniqueness and only crazy hair dos. I have heard a million Sanjaya's while at Karaoke night but I can honestly say I've never run into another Paul.
    -Brian

vCash
    Not really. People like James Morrison, Ray LaMontagne, James Blunt, Paulo Nutino all have similar voices, and all can actually sing. Paul's voice is practically transparent.

Having a husky, laryngitis-like voice is hardly unique. And it doesn't help that he sounds like Kermit the Frog parodying a drunk Rod Stewart. He actually comes off affected at times. But I understand. Different strokes, different folks and all that jazz.

vCash
    phoenixflamezzz, you do make a point about the other artists with similar styles but they have never had nearly the type of exposure that Paul is getting from American Idol. Both in shear numbers in such a short time and to an audience that is so young and probably leans heavily female. In that sense, Paul is brand new to those watching the show, most of them, at least.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixflamezzz View Post
    Not really. People like James Morrison, Ray LaMontagne, James Blunt, Paulo Nutino all have similar voices, and all can actually sing. Paul's voice is practically transparent.
    THIS. BTW its Paolo Nutini. And he's like 500 times the singer that Paul is. I was somewhat intrigued by Paul at first, but the last few weeks he's fallen very flat for me. He's just got no power whatsoever. I could see him lasting a few more weeks but only because half the top 12 is just thuddingly awful most of the time.

I'm very confident that the top 6 needs to be Casey, Pia, Lauren, James, Scott, and Stefano. Maybe Haley could squeak in if things really turn around for her, which could happen. The rest really can go at any time. Loved Naima last week, but if she's going to put out performances like she did last night, it's just not gonna work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think the one thing saving Paul is that he has a very unique voice. Love it or hate it, it is unlike any other. When someone is that different, people are bound to either love or hate him. Apparently, enough love him!
    We can debate how good his voice is, but there definitely are people who love his singing. His band's album was selling well on ITunes and charted on Billboard I think the week they chose the top 24. My impression is that his band has been supporting themselves with their music and has been invited to festivals like Bonnaroo and had some good opening gigs as well. So, I wouldn't put him in the category of Sanjaya. I also wouldn't put him in the category of Ray LaMontagne, though. Then again, I wouldn't put the majority of the top 13 in the category of Grammy Award winning singers. I suspect Paul will outlast Karen, Jacob, Naima, and Haley. And, honestly, I'd rather listen to him sing than listen to them.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Did they just bleep shih tzu?
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Did they just bleep shih tzu?
    Yes!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast