View Poll Results: Which Performances Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Casey Abrams

22 37.93%
  • Haley Reinhart

9 15.52%
  • Jacob Lusk

7 12.07%
  • James Durbin

14 24.14%
  • Karen Rodriquez

7 12.07%
  • Lauren Alaina

13 22.41%
  • Naima Adedapo

1 1.72%
  • Paul McDonald

1 1.72%
  • Pia Toscano

33 56.90%
  • Scott Mccreery

32 55.17%
  • Stefano Langone

23 39.66%
  • Thia Megia

14 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Lee proved once again why he is the lowest-selling Idol to date. I'm still going Why? Why? Why? a year later. Who voted for this guy? Mediocre voice, blah personality, & not much to look at.
    I guess all of his fans he gained during the show ditched him when he won.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    To tell you the truth, I totally forgot who he was. Did I somehow miss last year? I find I'm blanking on who was on the show.

Not too disappointed with the results tonight. Still haven't picked a favourite yet.
    I shouldn't complain because I didn't vote. But if I had I would have either gone with the best voice-Crystal Bowersox or the body/face-Casey James. Even Big Mike would have been an improvement over Lee. Lee should have come in about 9th or 10th.

vCash
    He sounded like a lowing cow, IMO.

vCash
    Lee proved once again why he is the lowest-selling Idol to date. I'm still going Why? Why? Why? a year later.
    I'm trying to figure out why they chose that song as a single. It's boring and going to go nowhere.

I hope they have Crystal on to perform. When was the last time a runner-up was not invited back?

Theme weeks are back. Motown next week. I wonder what Scotty will do? Has there been a country cover of a Motown song?

Jennifer Hudson is performing next on next week's results show, which is nice. And Sugarland is performing, too. I think I prefer the Blackeyed Peas. I can't stand that last Sugarland single.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I thought they were avoiding themes which keep people in specific genres. I thought they were going to stick to stuff like "80's" or "Billboard Hits" or things which encompass genres of all kinds. I guess there is nothing stopping someone changing a Motown song to a country version but it isn't going to be easy and it is certainly a disadvantage.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I guess there is nothing stopping someone changing a Motown song to a country version but it isn't going to be easy and it is certainly a disadvantage.
    Or it could be the best/most interesting thing he's ever done. We'll see. I'm excited for a theme week. Some of these people can't choose a good song to save their lives and have to practically be forced into picking a good song. It can't get much worse than this week, anyway.

vCash
    This might turn out to be a good thing for Scotty. He's been singing only country recently and he's largely appealing to country fans. That's fine for now, but it would help him stay on the show longer if he branched out, and this could be a good time to do that.

He has sung other than country before this show. In fact, he said in an interview that he sang a couple of non-country songs in his auditions. He's also in his school choir, which probably does not sing country songs.

He also mentioned that he was a big Elvis fan. Elvis did some Motown songs, right? Didn't he do Unchained Melody? We'll see. Aside from Scotty, I don't see Motown being a huge challenge for the contestants as long as they've cleared a lot of songs. Hopefully it will encourage some less boring song choices. I really liked season 8's Motown night. I still remember Allison's and Adam's performances.

vCash
    Have the Idol winners with the most successful musical careers thereafter, had their base in the "Country" genre? (I'm thinking Clarkson/Underwood.)

vCash
    Underwood for sure. Clarkson has been on the country charts twice (is actually at #1 right now!) but only as a guest on duets. She has not ventured into solo territory except when her lead single from Idol, A Moment Like This, got some play on the country chart. However, plenty of other artists from Idol have done well on country, people you may have forgotten about. Bucky Covington and Josh Gracin come to mind right away.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Theme weeks are back. Motown next week.
    I hope everybody makes the song their own, updating it to fit them (while being respectful to the original). I like how Pat made this one her own:

Pat Benatar - Seven Rooms Of Gloom

Do you like the hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I wonder what Scotty will do? Has there been a country cover of a Motown song?
    Scotty could make any Smokey Robinson song into a country song. Good songs work in most (if not all) genres. I remember seeing Annie Lennox play some of the Eurythmics rockier songs on MuchMusic acoustically with only a guitar accompanying her...and they were amazing!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Scotty won't have ANY problem choosing a song. Berry Gordy was a big supporter of country music and there were country divisions within Motown Records the whole time he was in charge. TG Sheppard was a Motown artist!
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I remember seeing Annie Lennox play some of the Eurythmics rockier songs on MuchMusic acoustically with only a guitar accompanying her...and they were amazing!
    Have you ever heard her version of A Whiter Shade of Pale? Beautiful. Love her.

Aceon, thank for the info on Motown's country labels. I didn't know about that. Assuming those songs are cleared, that would make things easier for Scotty. But, I'm really kind of hoping he branches out. All of his performances have kind of blended together in my mind.

I think that the country contestants who haven't made the finale generally have had much better success with recording careers than other contestants. So, I get why Scotty has targeted that audience now, but I still think he would benefit in the competition from doing a couple of non-country songs. It's not like it would prevent him from getting a country recording contract. Casey James and even Danny Gokey were able to get country recording contracts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I hope everybody makes the song their own, updating it to fit them (while being respectful to the original). I like how Pat made this one her own:

Pat Benatar - Seven Rooms Of Gloom

Do you like the hair?
    What year was that?

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Scotty could sing the Mervin part of any Temptations song.

Seriously, country to Motown isn't as hard a transition, there are story songs, easy melodies and so on. Diana Ross had a range of about six notes, it's safe to sing any of her songs.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    The problem with doing Motown is that some of those songs are sacred & the contestants are bound to fcuk them up. Sacriledge!
    Last edited by taf2002; 03-19-2011 at 05:14 AM.

vCash
    The problem with doing Motown is that some of those songs is that some of them are sacred & the contestants are bound to fcuk them up. Sacriledge!
    That is all part of knowing what songs to pick. If the contestant doesn't know any better then they deserve the criticism and to possibly go home. If they are good enough they can take a "sacred" song and make it work but I'm not sure there is anyone in this group capable of doing that.

I felt there was so much potential when we got the top 40 or so. However, there isn't one single vocalist in here who can blow me away. I thought Lauren had it but I think her initial audition was just really good vocally. I don't know if she can wow me anymore although she is still one of my favorites. Pia is good but she just isn't for me. I miss the days of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, etc. People who could give you the chills and bring the house down. Still a better group than last year, though and better than the group before Adam, Allison, Kris.
    -Brian

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    What year was that?
    1 9 8 6
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I felt there was so much potential when we got the top 40 or so. However, there isn't one single vocalist in here who can blow me away.
    I have a feeling we're just getting going with a lot of them. Pia, James, Lauren, Scotty, Casey, and Stefano all have pretty great potential. Some of the best contestants don't fully bloom until the top 8, 7, 6 time. Think Kris, Vonzell, and Syesha. Just relax and enjoy the ride, we are coming off a pretty blah week. It'll pick up eventually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    I have a feeling we're just getting going with a lot of them. Pia, James, Lauren, Scotty, Casey, and Stefano all have pretty great potential. Some of the best contestants don't fully bloom until the top 8, 7, 6 time. Think Kris, Vonzell, and Syesha. Just relax and enjoy the ride, we are coming off a pretty blah week. It'll pick up eventually.
    I agree. I do not expect everyone to master the art of learning a new song and preparing it so it comes across well both live and on TV. Frankly, many established artists haven't mastered it, so why are we expecting it of these kids? The Top 8 will have a month of doing this, and will figure out what works for them.

James almost has it. I noticed it in the Top 13 show when he turned his profile to the camera before he went up into scream-land. I think Stefano and Casey are getting there. Jacob still needs work to find the best angles for the cameras. Most of the girls haven't yet found the way to sing to the crowd as opposed to the judges. Once everyone has to work less on the TV side, I expect the vocals to be better.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I hope so because this week was pretty dull.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast