Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Why wouldn't you call back? What can happen to over the phone? Don't give out any personal information obviously, but I can't see how calling back will cause you harm.

So what if it is a scam to get your bank details? Call back, realize what it is, don't give out any information, and hang up. Then give the number to your local fraud investigation agency. No harm done to you at all.

And it might be legitimate, and then some good may come out of it.
    I agree. What harm can be done in calling back? I wouldn't automatically assume the worst. Even if this is a scam, he can't get any information over the phone that you do not give him. If he begins asking questions about your banking information, SSN, etc then simply hang up or tell him you do not trust him and say goodbye.

In all likelihood he is working on some kind of commission and may be cold calling. He will just try to get you to come open an account. Or it could be that you applied there and didn't realize it. What if he got your name from someone you know that knows you need a job? What if there is an account with tons of money in your name? (ok, that's not likely, but lol)

I just don't see any harm in calling so long as you don't give him any information over the phone.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Agree with those who guess that it's simply a solicitation call, and no reason to panic. Either ignore it, or call the number and ask what it's about. If it's solicitation, you can just politely tell him that you already have a bank and your financial needs are met, or just hang up on him. If he tells you something that is of actual interest, then just say you are uncomfortable discussing financial matters over the phone, but you will instead go into the bank in person to discuss.

I don't see any need to go to the trouble of internet searches and calling the bank itself and coming up with scripts for what to say - the direct approach is better.
    I agree. We get these phone calls all the time. Blow them off if it's not of interest to you or they're asking for info that is inappropriate.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Just FYI, since fundraisers and telemarketers have to stick to a do not call list, they are now trolling FB and other sites for info. They are doing one of a few things. One is calling and hanging up. When you call back, it's like agreeing to talk to them. The other thing is that they say you signed up on a website and they now have the right to call you. The list goes on. So don't call them back.
    Right. As soon as you call them, that gives them permission to call you as many times as they want. This is a standard trick: act like there's something wrong to get you all worried so you'll call them and fall into their trap.

If you reach the "Branch Manager" to "report" the person who called you, they'll likely be thrilled with the person, b/c they got you to return the call. And if it's a fraud situation, you'll just be giving someone else the chance to take advantage of you now that they know you're gullible.

Recently I have gotten 5 phone calls in an hour from an online school on my cell. When I called them back the guy told me I signed up for info on a school. I told him I didn't and not to call me back ever. This went on for a few days. Turned out must have been the guys real number (he was working from home). So I'm a night owl and started calling him from 2AM-4AM around 10 times and hour. He told me to stop calling him. I told him, since he was calling my cell phone, I had every right to call him to ask him questions at a time that was convenant to me. Needless to say, I don't get calls from him any more.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    What harm can be done in calling back?
    Well, it could mean a lot more phone calls like the one she just got. Who wants to deal with that crap, esp in the evenings? If it's a scammer, they could try even more subtle tactics, now that they know they've got a live one.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonDudd View Post
    Call the Branch Manager and don't let them shuffle you off to anyone else! They need to know and will be grateful to know that someone is misusing or misrepresenting their company.

Why are we jumping to the conclusion that someone is misrepresenting the company? This is more than likely someone doing their job, and pestering their supervisor and getting them into trouble is a complete overreaction when there is no evidence that the caller has done anything wrong.

I do agree that we all need to be cautious, but what happened to giving someone the benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty and looking on the bright side?

In the grand scheme of things, this is a very minor, every day thing and certainly nothing to freak out about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

Why are we jumping to the conclusion that someone is misrepresenting the company?
    We're not. That is why BC should phone the branch manager and find out.

And if it is someone working on the bank's behalf, personally I would tell the branch manager that I would never do business with a company that thinks it's OK to leave ambiguous messages on people's voicemails outside business hours.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And if it is someone working on the bank's behalf, personally I would tell the branch manager that I would never do business with a company that thinks it's OK to leave ambiguous messages on people's voicemails outside business hours.
    Ditto on that! And that really is the only reason I would call -- to find out if I need to switch banks!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Some folk's reaction to a minor every day sort of phone call is very, very sad - IMO of course.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I agree. What harm can be done in calling back?
    You've wasted your time. I like my time. I try not to waste it calling back people I don't know who've left me ambiguous messages on my cell phone.

I figure, if it's important enough, they'll call back.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    You've wasted your time. I like my time. I try not to waste it calling back people I don't know who've left me ambiguous messages on my cell phone.

I figure, if it's important enough, they'll call back.
    Yes, but would you be concerned about a silly thing like that?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Well to be fair, I waste my time all day doing things that don't matter. I simply can't be bothered to micromanage my life down to phone calls that might be wasting a couple of minutes of time.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    So I'm a night owl and started calling him from 2AM-4AM around 10 times and hour. He told me to stop calling him. I told him, since he was calling my cell phone, I had every right to call him to ask him questions at a time that was convenant to me. Needless to say, I don't get calls from him any more. I also pointed out the federal and state laws..

vCash
    When you call back, it's like agreeing to talk to them.
    Not true. And even if it were, BaileyCatts could stop them from calling her again by simply asking them to desist.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt107.shtm

By purchasing something from the company, you established a business relationship with the company. As a result, even if you put your number on the National Do Not Call Registry, that company may call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase or delivery from it, or your last payment to it, unless you ask the company not to call again. In that case, the company must honor your request not to call. If they subsequently call you again, they may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000 .

An established business relationship with a company also will be created if you make an inquiry to the company, or submit an application to it. This kind of established business relationship exists for three months after the inquiry or application. During this time, the company can call you.

If you make a specific request to that company not to call you, however, then the company may not call you, even if you have an established business relationship with that company. You should keep a record of the date you make the request....

Even if you do not register with the National Do Not Call Registry, you can still prohibit individual telemarketers from calling by asking them to put you on their company’s do not call list.

having a nice day
    vCash
    http://800notes.com/

put the phone number in here and see if anyone else has gotten calls and what they say about them. I use this site all the time, so it's safe.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Thanks for all the viewpoints. I was out all day today so didn't get home before 6p to try to call. But I did confirm it is the State Bank branch actual phone number for a hard building site in my area. I couldn't do *69 though because I had called into my phone to check messages, so I wiped out the last number by me calling my phone. I don't do any online banking at all (and not with this bank) so there's no way they would get any info from me. But I be so paranoid and gullible I just hate calling people without knowing exactly what they want. I really need to be a lottery winner so I can just barricade myself in my house and never have to associate with people ever again. Except for FSU of course.

I'm just a total Paranoid Polly and think people are always out to scam and con me () and it kinda creeped me out a little when the guy was like "Hi BaileyCatts ..." like he was my best bud. Throw in job hunting and I'm like 'but what if its an interview', and if so why didn't he say so. I did research my notes and it looks like I did apply for a job at State Bank via their corporate website ... I can see that I filled out their career profile page info and even see the job I applied for ... over six months ago which is why it didn't ring any bells.

I think I will try to call tomorrow, since I did confirm I actually did apply for a job there, and be ready to hang up if its anything other than that. And knowing all the things to watch out for makes me less gullible to fall for anything. Really, you could sell me ice in Hell and I would buy it .... its sad really.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 03-17-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I simply can't be bothered to micromanage my life down to phone calls that might be wasting a couple of minutes of time.
    And I can't be bothered to return messages of people I don't know who aren't clear about why they want me to call. In fact, I've already spent more time responding in this thread than I would have spent dealing with the phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Yes, but would you be concerned about a silly thing like that?
    It might give me a moment's pause.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12