Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    They had a call from a mom who insisted that they put her unborn child's name on the enrolment list, because she just, "Knew that her child would be gifted".

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    My daughters pre-k is free. At this stage, I'm not at all concerned about where she will go to college. I'm not too concerned about my 8 year old either. I have so dropped the ball here!
    Yeah, based on the pre-ks that make the news around here, I think I would be more concerned that they weren't leaving my 4 year old to baby sit the 2 year olds than I would be about ivy league prep. Adult teacher in the room, check; no abuse, check; everyone is having fun, check.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    They had a call from a mom who insisted that they put her unborn child's name on the enrolment list, because she just, "Knew that her child would be gifted".
    Mama knows best.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Having said that, I am not surprised. I just watched my SIL who lives in NYC go through the preschool admission process for her kid. It wasn't pretty.

Knowing my SIL, I am guessing she will provide the scoop on this story.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash

vCash
    I think we have a frontrunner if Bravo ever needs to replace a member of the cast of Real Housewives of NY.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    "They put a bunch of kids of different ages together and gave her some excuse about construction," Paulose said.
    What gets me about this is that not segregating kids by age often enhances learning.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Has the daughter finished the school year? Did the mum view some "classes" first?

Seems all a bit much for 4 years old. Does the school get the money back again if the girl gets into Yale later on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    imagine how much she will sue for if Lucia becomes a stripper
    Or if she grows up, gets shipped off to college and ends up participating in a situation like this one. A perfect example of (en masse) helicoptor parenting gone wrong - because it's only effective until the kid is out of the parents' sight. Then the kid has all this freedom, yet doesn't know how to handle it.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I can't help but wonder what the child's father has to say about this lawsuit. He's noticably absent from the article. Where's the baby daddy????
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It's actually really hard to judge from the article exactly what happened. But lets say, the school promised they'd prep the kids for that kindergarten entry test. And instead her precocious 4 year old was put with 2 year olds and doing 2 year old appropriate activities. May be she was telling her parents that she is bored.

That would not be what was advertised by the school. And if you are paying $19K, you expect what you paid for. You expect the product as advertised.

Imagine that she complained and the school blew her off as they've already pocketed the non-refundable tuition. So she felt stuck and the way out was to sue for tuition and put her in another school.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Imagine that she complained and the school blew her off as they've already pocketed the non-refundable tuition. So she felt stuck and the way out was to sue for tuition and put her in another school.
    According to the NY Post:
    Imprescia said she "brought her concerns to the attention of defendant's administrators," and they "acknowledged the falsehood," the suit says, without elaborating.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1GjeVOtQR

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I've read several articles about this now, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting info.

For example, she and her lawyer have been quoted as saying that the child was pulled out after two months. But a school spokesperson was quoted saying that the child attended for a full year. And somewhere else I read that it was most of the the year. Then I read that the child was only sometimes mixed in with younger kids, but that was not a regular occurrence. In agalisgv's link, it says it happened ONCE: "In one instance, plaintiff's daughter, who at the time was 4 - perhaps the most important year for a pre-schooler, just shy of taking the ERB - was dumped with two-year-olds," the suit says.

What stands out for me is that she is suing about events that took place in 2009. That would mean her daughter has already taken the ever-so-important kindergarten test. I wonder if the child did not do as well as her mother expected. No one has said so, but what else is the mother going to use as evidence that the school curriculum wasn't demanding enough?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    What stands out for me is that she is suing about events that took place in 2009. That would mean her daughter has already taken the ever-so-important kindergarten test. I wonder if the child did not do as well as her mother expected. No one has said so, but what else is the mother going to use as evidence that the school curriculum wasn't demanding enough?
    My nephew took that test in 2009 and did very well. His prior education background was 2 days a week of public preschool. Of course, his parents read to him from the time he was born, and started counting and basic math with him when he started to talk.

I guess he must have had an unfair advantage from learning a few words of Japanese from his best friend's parents and from the street Spanish he picked up. It couldn't possibly be that his parents taught him and didn't dump him in a prestigious preschool.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    There's a test for kindergarten? I feel very sheltered, living in a tiny town where every kid goes to the same school. A public school. For free. Oh well...less pressure and more time to just be a kid is how I look at it.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    There's a test for kindergarten? I feel very sheltered, living in a tiny town where every kid goes to the same school. A public school. For free.
    I do, too, but both of my kids still had to test to get into kindergarten. it wasn't an admission test, which is what they are talking about there, but it was an assessment test that was supposed to evaluate their preparedness.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    There's a test for kindergarten? I feel very sheltered, living in a tiny town where every kid goes to the same school. A public school. For free. Oh well...less pressure and more time to just be a kid is how I look at it.
    Nowadays, sadly there can be. Chicago has this in some schools too. It's a navigational nightmare for a parent, especially if you don't have the $$$ for private school. I'm wading these waters right now and it's hard to figure out what's what.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I do, too, but both of my kids still had to test to get into kindergarten. it wasn't an admission test, which is what they are talking about there, but it was an assessment test that was supposed to evaluate their preparedness.
    That's exactly what they do here...an evaluation of skills so they know what areas to focus on for each kid. No pass/fail or I'm sorry, your kid isn't good enough for this school. Sometimes small towns have their advantages.

vCash
    That's exactly what they do here...an evaluation of skills so they know what areas to focus on for each kid. No pass/fail or I'm sorry, your kid isn't good enough for this school. Sometimes small towns have their advantages.
    We don't even have any of that. It is more "if you kid is born between these dates, it is time for them to start kindergarten, ready or not."
    Creating drama!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    If you want a better look at the process, check out Nursery University - a documentary that was aired on Showtime among other places.

Fascinating and scary all at the same time.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast