Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Why is Vera there anyway?
    I was wondering the same thing...

anyway, congratulations Evan!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    (And...no, seriously, baton twirling is a sport? I didn't know that.)
    Yes, seriously, baton twirling is a sport. It's more of a sport than ballroom dancing (I can never get the notion of turning a social activity into a sporting contest).

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Yes, seriously, baton twirling is a sport. It's more of a sport than ballroom dancing (I can never get the notion of turning a social activity into a sporting contest).
    I wasn't being sarcastic, I was surprised. I have NEVER seen a thing about it except as an accessory to other activitis.

(And dancing certainly takes a lot more energy and fitness than many things called a sport. But if you've only done the high-school hang or watched it besides DWTS, you wouldn't know that.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Why is Vera there anyway?
    She's a successful designer who lives in the NYC area, where the award ceremony was held. She has many links to figure skating, not the least of which is that she designed some of Evan's costumes. It's an opportunity to be seen and noted, so it's a business appearance for her as a designer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    She's a successful designer who lives in the NYC area, where the award ceremony was held. She has many links to figure skating, not the least of which is that she designed some of Evan's costumes. It's an opportunity to be seen and noted, so it's a business appearance for her as a designer.
    I know, but it just seems like a bit much. This is not even a figure skating event, it's an athletic award ceremony in which one of the finalists was a skater. Did Jef Billings attend the ceremony in 2002 when Sarah won?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I think it has more to do with the fact that she and Evan are very close, he seems to be with her at a lot of events since his OGM.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I've never heard of it competed as its own event, just something kids learn related to something else (or as a beauty-pagent talent portion skill.)
    One of my best friends from childhood, back in the 50s, had an entire basement room filled with trophies that she won at baton twirling contests. It was a serious thing back in the day.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    One of my best friends from childhood, back in the 50s, had an entire basement room filled with trophies that she won at baton twirling contests. It was a serious thing back in the day.
    Apparently still is! Don't see why poker is on sports channels when that's not. It's not like poker requires manual dexterity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    My mom was a baton-twirler. My aunts still talk about her skill.
    What's funny is that she couldn't teach, so I can only do a few small tricks with the baton. Haven't tried it in years.
    Now I want a baton.

Apparently still is! Don't see why poker is on sports channels when that's not. It's not like poker requires manual dexterity.
    A series on interesting/different sports would be good. I think the poker tourneys are just to pay bills; the sponsors are easy to come by and poker players like to watch people play poker, even when they're not in the game.

vCash
    How much longer is he going to milk his gold medal? Its been more than year now.

vCash
    ^^ He will be the reigning OGM until 2014. Given that it took 16+ years of training for the achievement, he can milk it till the next gold medalist is crowned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukari Lepisto View Post
    How much longer is he going to milk his gold medal? Its been more than year now.
    For as long as folks keep handing him awards and inviting him to take part in visible events such as DWTS, red carpet premieres, modeling, etc.

If Evan wasn't in demand for anything, he wouldn't be able to "milk" anything. It's not like he's commiting a crime or milking his gold medal by showing up to accept awards that some organization, beyond his control, decides to give him

For all the years of effort these athletes put into the sport of figure skating hoping and praying for a medal, let alone a gold medal, I say they should "milk" their medals until all eternity!

(People get ridiculous recognition and attention for doing absolutely nothing noteworthy, e.g., Kim Kardashian ... oh yeah, she *did* make that noteworthy sex video with Ray J )

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    For all the years of effort these athletes put into the sport of figure skating hoping and praying for a medal, let alone a gold medal, I say they should "milk" their medals until all eternity!

He can "milk it" as long as he damn well wants to.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    GMAFB.

vCash
    How much longer are Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill going to milk theirs? It's been 43 years for Fleming and 35 for Hamill.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    How much longer are Peggy Fleming and Dorothy Hamill going to milk theirs? It's been 43 years for Fleming and 35 for Hamill.
    Seriously. And geez, that Dick Button. How much longer can he possibly coast on a couple pieces of gold-plated junk? He didn't even do a quad.

vCash

About as long as you're going to complain about it.

vCash
    So, we've gone from Evan being undeserving to people whinging on about other attendees? Awesome!

vCash
    Considering that the athletes don't nominate themselves - others do, I don't see how Evan is milking anything. It's his good fortune that he was nominated and that enough voters felt he was worthy of the honor.

Congratulations, Evan.

vCash
    Hopefully for much, much longer just so it keeps making you crazy.

Edited to add: The reason you are being blasted here is because nearly EVERY Olympic Gold medalist "milks" their victory for everything they can get from it and for years and years after their success. As an example, do you really think Fleming Jenkins vineyard in California would have even made it onto the map without having OGM Peggy Fleming's name behind it? (No offense meant to Peggy or the business, I've heard the wines are quite good).

For the rest of his days, Evan's name will be listed as "Olympic Champion (or Gold Medalist) Evan Lysacek" and he will benefit from the recognition that comes with that. And if it bugs you, well, get over it, or ignore it, because it ain't gonna change.
    Last edited by Yazmeen; 03-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast