Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    No, YOU'RE missing the point.

The award is for achievements in the year 2010. Evan won a freaking Olympic gold medal in 2010. I wouldn't call that a "one-thing-whoop-de-doo" kind of win.
    Please do share what else he competed in and won in 2010.

The Olympic gold medal is a good acheivement - but there would have been amatuer athletes who struggled all season long in 2010, won many times, perhaps, who've missed out here. THAT's my problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    You're missing the point, guys.

He won the OGM in FEBRUARY 2010. He has done absolutely NOTHING competitive since. Are you HONESTLY saying that NO other amatuer athlete in the whole United States won anything else last year?

I'd feel pretty miffed if I was another amatuer athlete. The guy wins one thing, whoop-de-doo. He didn't even win it by a convincing amount. I'm sure there are plenty of other athletes who've had multiple wins who deserved this more.

Here is a list of the nominees. Seems like most of them had one big win in 2010. A few of them did not win anything. Evan's accomplishments seem in line with the other nominees.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2010-sullivan-award.htm

vCash

The Olympic gold medal is a good acheivement - but there would have been amatuer athletes who struggled all season long in 2010, won many times, perhaps, who've missed out here. THAT's my problem.
    Here's a list of the other 2010 nominees. Please do share who you think should have won the award and which of their achievements trumps an Olympic gold medal.

vCash
    Congrats to Evan (and Frank)!
    Last edited by paskatefan; 03-16-2011 at 01:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Here's a list of the other 2010 nominees. Please do share who you think should have won the award and which of their achievements trumps an Olympic gold medal.
    I quite liked the wrestler, and the volleyballer. Good, year-long achievements on several different stages.

Why should THEY be at a disadvantage because it just happened to be a Winter Olympic year and not a Summer Olympic year?

But I guess none of you will ever see WHY I'm so confused and perhaps a little ticked on behalf of the other nominees. I'll go waste my breath elsewhere.

vCash
    No I really don't get how you could be confused that a person who won an Olympic Gold Medal was chosen as the winner for this award. It does not seem very confusing to me. And what does winter vs summer Olympics have to do with anything? Are you saying that if an Olympic gold medalist is nominated it puts other nominees at an automatic disadvantage? do you believe that the nominees for the 2002 Sullivan Award were at a disadvantage because Sarah Hughes was a nominee (and eventual winner?)

Tranquillo
    vCash
    The Sullivan Award not only recognizes accomplishment in amateur athletics, but a significant portion of the criteria relate to leadership, character and sportsmanship. You can read about some of his charitable activities in his bio on the AAU site.

From what I know about the other finalists, they also have impressive accomplishments, and I'm sure they'd also be deserving winners. But Evan was recognized for more than just his Olympic win.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    Is this term used yet somewhere?
    Not since about 1964.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Haters gotta hate...(Bet no one would say a word if it weren't Evan.)

(And...no, seriously, baton twirling is a sport? I didn't know that.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

If the award was based on number of competitive wins in 2010, Tahnee Robinson, a college basketball player unknown nationally, wouldn't have been a finalist over Maya Moore, the best women's college basketball player in the country. Evan haters, get over it. He won.

vCash

vCash
    Evan is the only one I know, I´m glad he won!

vCash
    And I'm VERY glad that Cam Newton, the Auburn football player who was nominated (and also the focus of a scandal where his father solicited another school for money to get Cam on their team) did not make the finals. Cam won the Heisman Trophy by a landslide, and while it is possible he did not know of his father's actions, that just didn't settle well with me for the Sullivan award.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Holy crap Vera Wang looks like Morticia Addams of the Addams family. Except that Carolyn Jones looked healthy as Morticia. By the way when did Sarah Hughes become hot?

vCash
    Congratulations ,Evan! Well done!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Holy crap Vera Wang looks like Morticia Addams of the Addams family. Except that Carolyn Jones looked healthy as Morticia.
    Why is Vera there anyway?

By the way when did Sarah Hughes become hot?
    Yeah, Sarah looks great!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    He won Dancing with the Stars! Oops...he won the silver medal of DWTS. That counts, right?

Seriously, CONGRATS to Evan on winning the Sullivan Trophy!

Sarah looks great in those photos...but I'm not sure what to think about 'Bones' Wang.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Are we going to have to start a "Feed Vera Wang" fund? Really, is she sick and not letting on? It's kind of scary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

It certainly is, and a very difficult one at the level at which Karrissa Wimberly competes. Every bit as difficult as figure skating or gymnastics or many other sports.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zara View Post
    It certainly is, and a very difficult one at the level at which Karrissa Wimberly competes. Every bit as difficult as figure skating or gymnastics or many other sports.
    I've never heard of it competed as its own event, just something kids learn related to something else (or as a beauty-pagent talent portion skill.)

That sounds like it would be substantially more interesting to watch than some of what passes for sports on the sports channels these days. (I don't care how difficult it is, Texas Hold 'Em is NOT a sport, nor is anything else that can come loaded on a computer's Games folder.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast