Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash

Strange phone message I received. Would you call back?

I received a strange (to me) phone message I'm not sure if I should return. Exact text (hiding real names of course ):

"Hi BaileyCatts, this is John Doe at State Bank. Can you give me a call at (local phone number). Thanks."

This call came in at 6:40p at night (so after business hours). Now strange to me is, I do not do business with State Bank and never have. This guy knew my first name (creepy). I looked up local phone number and its a State Bank branch in my general area. I am job hunting but I don't recall applying for a job at State Bank, and if he was calling about a resume/interview, wouldn't he have: 1) said "I'm calling about the position you applied for" or something to that affect, or any reason at all; and 2) called during normal business hours?

I tried to search on the guy's name too, but its so common there are too many hits to find him. Normally I would ignore a call like this since I don't do business with this Bank. But since I am job hunting, I'm wondering if I should call back because maybe its a job I applied for (maybe I applied via a corporate office site or something since I don't recall applying for anything at State Bank)?

Would you call back?

vCash
    Hell NO.

Wait until the branch is open and then call and ask if a John Doe works there, or if there are any companies doing work on behalf of State Bank who might have contacted you on their behalf. If they say no then ask to speak to the branch manager and tell him that John Doe is calling people after hours claiming to represent the bank. If they say yes, then speak to John Doe and ask why he is calling you after business hours.

My guess is that it's some guy who is randomly trolling people. If no one answers, he leaves the message to make them nervous and ready to cooperate when he calls back. When he connects, or if he gets someone on the first try, he'll tell some story about their account security being compromised, and he needs all their account information and passwords to investigate the problem. And once he has all that information he then goes and takes all the money out of their account, or racks up big purchases on their credit card.

Can you still do a *69 (call trace) to find out what number the call actually came from?
    Last edited by overedge; 03-16-2011 at 06:33 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Do NOT call back!

vCash
    He didn't leave a "regarding this matter" message. So yea it does sould fishy.

I like overedge's suggestions. Look up State Bank in the phone book (to double check the number you found on line). Is the result of your on line search of the number one of those "who called me from this number" bulletin boards? Cause people's responses saying it is State Bank could be just them posting where the guy said he was from. So I'd still be suspect of the number until I saw something I knew was originated from State Bank.

Also like the *69 (or if you have caller ID). Look up the number and see where it originats from, if its not the same number he gave to call back. It is possible for the number on your caller ID to be different than the direct number he gives to call back, as most companies have several phone lines.

What does your VM say? Hi, this is BailyCats..... that could be why he "knew" your first name. Is your name/number published/searchable? Could be another way he "knew" your first name.

If it's legit and is a job offer thing, and he calls again, and ask why didn't you return my call, just tell him you didn't get his first message. In today's technology, mixed up phone messages aren't hard to believe.

As far as applying for jobs, you should keep a log of who/where you apply, and what job description it was for. It helps when someone calls you back, and you don't have to say, "now, what job was this I was applying for? I've applied for so many, I just don't remember you." that doesn't exactly endear you to that potential new employer! LOL.

vCash
    Check the phone number on white pages or such on the internet. BUT my first thought is don't call.

vCash
    DO NOT CALL. It is probably one of the get your bank number schemes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Hell NO.

Wait until the branch is open and then call and ask if a John Doe works there, or if there are any companies doing work on behalf of State Bank who might have contacted you on their behalf. If they say no then ask to speak to the branch manager and tell him that John Doe is calling people after hours claiming to represent the bank. If they say yes, then speak to John Doe and ask why he is calling you after business hours.
    This, and if you're job hunting, I might word things a bit differently. Something on the lines of, "I'm trying to verify that John Doe is an employee or authorized representative of State Bank. I'm doing a job search, and am wondering if a call I received after hours might be related to an open position at the bank. Is it possible to check? If so, could you give me Mr. Doe's direct line so I can return the call?"

Who knows, you may get a job lead out of it. At the least, you'll come across as very professional. The manager might remember you should your paths cross later in your search.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I can honestly think of more reasons that this is a legitimate call instead of a scam but you'll never know until you call back. Make sure you do it using a phone number from the bank's website or out of the phone book but I don't see anything to be alarmed about.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Why wouldn't you call back? What can happen to over the phone? Don't give out any personal information obviously, but I can't see how calling back will cause you harm.

So what if it is a scam to get your bank details? Call back, realize what it is, don't give out any information, and hang up. Then give the number to your local fraud investigation agency. No harm done to you at all.

And it might be legitimate, and then some good may come out of it.

Grooving!
    vCash
    Seriously? You have to even ASK that question? NO!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    Seriously? You have to even ASK that question? NO!
    Ridiculous.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    My cousin's husband works at a bank and they are now required to make cold calls to get customers for IRAs, CDs and other investments.

It could have been for that.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    My cousin's husband works at a bank and they are now required to make cold calls to get customers for IRAs, CDs and other investments.

It could have been for that.
    That's the first thing that came to my mind.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I would take overedge's suggestion and call the branch during business hours about this guy. If he is mis-using their name, they may appreciate the information.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Why wouldn't you call back? What can happen to over the phone? Don't give out any personal information obviously, but I can't see how calling back will cause you harm.
    ITA. Call the bank's main number if you're worried, but.....what will happen if you just return the call?

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Agree with those who guess that it's simply a solicitation call, and no reason to panic. Either ignore it, or call the number and ask what it's about. If it's solicitation, you can just politely tell him that you already have a bank and your financial needs are met, or just hang up on him. If he tells you something that is of actual interest, then just say you are uncomfortable discussing financial matters over the phone, but you will instead go into the bank in person to discuss.

I don't see any need to go to the trouble of internet searches and calling the bank itself and coming up with scripts for what to say - the direct approach is better.

vCash
    I'm sure it's a telemarketer doing the usual thing. They either want you to open an account or refi your mortgage. Just ignore it and don't call back. Anyone calling you about a job would mention that in their message.

vCash
    Add me to the suggestion of overedge!! Call the Branch Manager and don't let them shuffle you off to anyone else! They need to know and will be grateful to know that someone is misusing or misrepresenting their company. But do NOT under any circumstances give out any personal information at all!

Remember if it made you hesitate at all and set the hairs on the back of your neck tingling? Then something could very well be wonky! Better safe than sorry! Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

vCash
    Put the phone number in google and see what you get. I have done that for collection calls for people I have never heard of, and the # always has logs of people complaining about them.

It does sound fishy, but if it is legit and for a job, the person may not want to say why they are calling. I have had legit HR folks ask me if they can leave me a detailed message and if the voicemail was private?

Google the number, and like others said, call the bank (# in phone book) and confirm.

In my experience, I have dealt with some bank personnel that have not been properly trained (not all, but some). I was the new treasurer on a board. A girl from the bank called me and asked me for my social security number. I told her that I would come in, as it was inappropriate to do over the phone with someone I never met. When I was in the bank I spoke to her supervisor and suggested some training.

vCash
    Just FYI, since fundraisers and telemarketers have to stick to a do not call list, they are now trolling FB and other sites for info. They are doing one of a few things. One is calling and hanging up. When you call back, it's like agreeing to talk to them. The other thing is that they say you signed up on a website and they now have the right to call you. The list goes on. So don't call them back.
    Recently I have gotten 5 phone calls in an hour from an online school on my cell. When I called them back the guy told me I signed up for info on a school. I told him I didn't and not to call me back ever. This went on for a few days. Turned out must have been the guys real number (he was working from home). So I'm a night owl and started calling him from 2AM-4AM around 10 times and hour. He told me to stop calling him. I told him, since he was calling my cell phone, I had every right to call him to ask him questions at a time that was convenant to me. Needless to say, I don't get calls from him any more. I also pointed out the federal and state laws.
    There are now some collection companies that keep calling. If you put the number into google, you can find out who they are, who they collect for and if they are above board. I've have had 2 companies who I don't owe money to, blast my cell with hang ups. When I call them they want my SS# ect. NEVER give that out. Turns out one was collecting for a gym (which I never belonged to, but these guys were doing it so you would pay them to go away).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast