Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    I didn't have any issues in Boston or Salt Lake City getting my skates through. They just want through the xray and I was on my way. I don't even tell the TSA they're in there, I feel like drawing needless attention to them won't be helpful. If you don't make a big deal out of them, chances are the TSA won't either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    But skates ARE allowed. Skate blades and knives aren't the same thing. If you look here, skates are not on the banned list and are even show in the photo of allowed items- http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1038.shtm

Granted, if you get a surly TSA agent who doesn't know the rules, you're probably SOL. I am traveling from Boston to Salt Lake City by way of Baltimore on Monday and you bet my skates are coming in my carry on.
    I think the picture is a general illustration of sporting goods. It shows a dumbbel/handweight, and those are specifically prohibited in carry-on luggage

Nowhere do they say skates are or are not allowed, thus I suspect you'd have little to back up a claim that ice skates are allowed in carry on. You'd be at the mercy of the TSA agent at security - and I've heard of people being permitted to carry on skates and also heard of people not permitted to take skates on. I'd suspect the latter is more common since they have sharp blades.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    All I know is that in two different airports the TSA agents could not have cared less that I had skates in my carry on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ksneds View Post
    You'd be at the mercy of the TSA agent at security - and I've heard of people being permitted to carry on skates and also heard of people not permitted to take skates on. I'd suspect the latter is more common since they have sharp blades.
    I don't know about that. I've heard of very few occurances of skates being denied. I probably have flown with my skates 50 plus times in the past decade through airports all over the country and had them denied ONCE in Atlanta, a place I've gotten them through many times before. And I think the only reason they were denied was 4 of us were going through security right after another with skates, although not to the same flight. That was the only time, and all my friends who go to Nationals and other competitions through the year never have them denied. YMMV, but I don't think it's a commonplace thing that skates get turned away.

vCash
    I have a question to ask. Do Skaters fly on a private plane (I'm expecting they do)? Or do they fly with reg. passengers? Im asking this because I just heard on the news yesterday (I'm not sure what airline it is,or if it's all airlines) now have to pay you back the money for your luggage if they indeed loose it. I don't know though if that means (and includes) money for skates,etc. if indeed skaters DO fly with us that an airline has to pay back money for things like that in luggage that were lost. Prior to people not being able to take them on. I've also been told by a friend that airlines DO suggest that if you have ANYTHING valable, that you should take it with you in A carry-on. So if skaters DO fly private. Then even with all the policies,etc. If the ONLY people on a plane ARE the skaters. The airlines should be having no problems. As they should know that it's a tour that just needs to take a flight. But if they fly with us. Maybe skaters SHOULD have a private flight. Wee the airlines AND they can know that what there taking on are just their skates,etc.

vCash
    Skaters do not fly private. I doubt they even get to fly business class when flying international. They fly coach, because the federations don't have much money to send them places. (For things like nationals, I think the skaters actually pay their own way to get there. It's only internationals that the federation pays for.)

I suppose if a skater were wealthy they could fly first class or private, but that would only be if they would do that normally, even if they weren't a skater.

--------------

The baggage fee is the new fee that they charge you to check a bag- if you check a bag, and pay a fee for it, and they lose your luggage, they need to reimburse the fee (even if the luggage is later found) That's because the fee is paid to get your bag to a certain location, and failure to do so means you paid for a service you didn't receive. The reimbursement makes sense.

They have always had to pay an amount for luggage permanently lost- but it's really low, like $500, and wouldn't cover the actual belongings most people have in their bag.

I would think that federations take out travel insurance when they send their skaters internationally, and that might pay for skates to be replaced, but the issue is really more that they want THOSE skates- not new ones.

vCash
    Here's something interesting that happened to my friends, a dance team, on their way from Atlanta to SLC. She was allowed to go through security with her skates, he was made to go back and check his skates. I assume they were in different lines, but it just shows that so much of this is up to the discretion of the screener.

vCash
    I would also like to add,that maybe what these airlines should do...is have 4 Lines.

1 Line for people who are just taking a trip,etc. Another Line for people who are travaling for Busness Another Line for ANYONE connected with a Terorizum (sorry if I spelled that wrong) or crime of any sort. ...and a 4th Line.....for ANYONE connected with a Travaling Tour or who is famous. In this Line the sercurity would be able to know RIGHT OFF THE BAT that if the detector goes off. It more then likely would be just metal from Skates. Or some kind of prop. Because in response to dbny. I agree.....It is getting rediculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    I would also like to add,that maybe what these airlines should do...is have 4 Lines.

1 Line for people who are just taking a trip,etc. Another Line for people who are travaling for Busness Another Line for ANYONE connected with a Terorizum (sorry if I spelled that wrong) or crime of any sort. ...and a 4th Line.....for ANYONE connected with a Travaling Tour or who is famous. In this Line the sercurity would be able to know RIGHT OFF THE BAT that if the detector goes off. It more then likely would be just metal from Skates. Or some kind of prop. Because in response to dbny. I agree.....It is getting rediculous.
    Because that's completely practical.

And because OF COURSE famous people should get special treatment and be exempt from the rules.

And what happens the first time a terrorist says they're part of a Traveling Tour and the guards ignore the metal detector because "It's OBVIOUSLY skates" and the guy has a GUN!?!?!?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234