Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

vCash
    Oh, dear.

They could certainly have registered for this weekend's competition in advance of receiving their Skate America assignment...but as this event would never have impacted their international standing, anyway, and is a good distance away from SA, it seems strange to drop it for those purposes -- there are few teams, especially at their particular stage (and after their last, short competitive season), who can't benefit from a little early competition. I suppose it's possible that their programs, one or both, could be in some state of flux. I'd rather hope that than injury, but who knows right now.

vCash
    I think they both are OK, but not ready to show competitve programs on publick yet and maybe re-worked something after HPC, like all other skaters - so no worries. They have 1 mounth before SA

vCash
    Thanks , pani . I needed that.

vCash
    And just for an update from today: not terribly surprising, but Paul/Islam were not skating again today. Just Lud/Mulder, who were really quite lovely. I guess we will have to see if Paul/Islam make a showing at Octoberfest. I really, really hope they are ok. This year, I think they have a lock on 3rd if they are healthy.

vCash
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    ..oh ..that's relief then...a girl has to write her test sometime .

vCash
    I wouldn't be surprised if P/I withdraw from Octoberfest as well as that seems all they are doing this year (withdrawing). I would love to see their programs as I'm sure most of you are who are reading these posts but I have been disappointed one too many times. Losing hope and interest.

vCash
    I won't be losing interest.. I well remember the days before YouTube when most people didn't get to see anyone before SA.

vCash
    I don't quite understand Team P&I's strategy if it indeed turns out that they won't be competing their programs until Skate America. Seems to me that they need the mileage to work out kinks and their nerves (just thinking back to last year's disastrous CoR OD plus the not-so-good OD at Skate Canada). Even Virtue & Moir competed at least a FD for years every summer at Thornhill.

Maybe they think they got enough feedback/advice at the High Perf Camp?

I don't know. I still wish they would have been assigned to Nebelhorn or Finlandia before the GP series (a strategy that's worked very well for B&A, D&W, the Shibs and P&B in the past). P&I have no buzz, no momentum and not a lot of ISU points (which affects start orders at GPs). Not to mention the fact that they haven't competed since JANUARY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post

Maybe they think they got enough feedback/advice at the High Perf Camp?

I don't know. I still wish they would have been assigned to Nebelhorn or Finlandia before the GP series (a strategy that's worked very well for B&A, D&W, the Shibs and P&B in the past). P&I have no buzz, no momentum and not a lot of ISU points (which affects start orders at GPs). Not to mention the fact that they haven't competed since JANUARY.
    Who knows, maybe after HPC they need to change a lot off things and re-work there programs- who knows?
    And who made decigion, who will go to "B" serios of competitions - Skate Canada or skaters?
    The same strategy have all russian teams, who very rare compete before GP.

vCash
    As I read it it goes something like this.. They showed their FD at a show pre-season. They had NHK but at that stage not enough points for another assignment . ( They probably would have been sent to a senior B..but again, at that time, the entrants hadn't been announced )..scheduled for Thornhill, but withdrew due to minor injury, wanting to be cautious ..so they planned to do Isabelle Henderson instead. At the same time , they got SA because teams ahead of them dropped out and suddenly they did have enough points.

BUT..the SA dates meant that Alex couldn't attend her scheduled economics exam, resulting in an automatic deduction of 15% on the exam . Luckily , she still could take it online. Unluckily, when could she take it ? Right in the middle of this competition.. I don't know , would you maybe want to waste your tuition money or lower your GPA ?

So now they're scheduled for Octoberfest for the SD which they haven't performed in front of an audience..I don't know if the judges would make much difference , since it has been assessed at HPC..but maybe..

Fortunately , SA, only a week later , is on the same continent, so there won't be jet lag .. If they do withdraw from O-fest , I wouldn't necessarily read that to mean they're unprepared.

Glass half full.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Who knows, maybe after HPC they need to change a lot off things and re-work there programs- who knows?
    And who made decigion, who will go to "B" serios of competitions - Skate Canada or skaters?
    The same strategy have all russian teams, who very rare compete before GP.
    Unfortunately Paul and Islam did not skate at all at HPC as Alex was injured, so they only did off ice activites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by csparkles View Post
    Unfortunately Paul and Islam did not skate at all at HPC as Alex was injured, so they only did off ice activites.
    In this case this look not very good, but hope they will be ready for SA.
    And i really coulnt understand, why Alex couldnt pass exams in different time?

vCash
    Oh no. That is not good news.

vCash
    Dang! That shoots down my Pollyanna Theory.....the glass is now officially half empty ! I hope she can be well in time for SA.

vCash
    I didn't realize that they hadn't skated at the HP camp. Where did everyone hear this from? If that is the case, the withdrawl from Isabelle Henderson might mean that there is a serious problem. I really hope that's not the case. I can't bear the idea of these two being out with a long term injury this early in their careers.

vCash
    Well that explains a lot. Thanks for the info. Must be pretty serious if they pulled out of Thornhill in mid-August citing injury (didn't they mention a minor injury in their video interview with PJ Kwong?), then not skating at HPC, then pulling out of another minor summer-type competition in late September. Wouldn't be surprised if next we hear they've pulled out of Skate America too.

Wasn't she injured last fall at CoR, causing their withdrawal?

She seems to be injury-prone for someone so young into her career.

vCash
    Purely spec, but the Thornhill/HPC/Isabelle Henderson situation may be part of one relatively minor injury. In the interview with PJ, she attributed the Thornhill withdrawal to a muscle pull behind her knee, which might be a popliteus issue, which is apparently common in runners and can make full knee extension difficult and painful.

Grade 1 and 2 muscle strains can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to heal, which would still have put Thornhill and Isabelle Henderson in the same timeframe, especially assuming the strain occurred very shortly before Thornhill. If this is the case, that they registered for Octoberfest -- the registration deadline for which was September 7 -- may have been an indication that their IH plans were tentative dependent on Alex's recovery, but that if it did fall through, she would still be recovered by the early-mid October date of the next pre-GP event.

Obviously all speculative, but it's still possible for their GP plans to be unaffected even as the preseason has been impacted.

vCash
    Paul & Islam nominated for Barrie Sports Hall of Fame amature athletes of the year award.

http://www.simcoe.com/sports/article...uring-athletes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Paul & Islam nominated for Barrie Sports Hall of Fame amature athletes of the year award.

http://www.simcoe.com/sports/article...uring-athletes
    They ended up winning

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Art...aspx?e=3324189

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast