Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

vCash
    That was good, clean skate from them. Like her dress. I think they are in good shape now. The begining look like VM "Funny Face"

vCash
    It looked really good for this time of the season. Score 61.11 unofficially.

Music (1st part I forgot to write down, but familiar), then Embraceable You, then I've Got Rhythm.

It didn't seem to have quite the speed of some of the junior teams we saw at the BC Summerskate, but it was very good nevertheless. (That difference in apparent speed could also have been due to camera angle). They have a great split rotational lift at the end. Twizzles at the beginning were rock-solid. This should work very well for them, IMO.

ETA: Whenever they skate, I keep waiting for some small disaster to happen, sort of how I used to feel two or three seasons ago with Weaver/Poje. No disaster here; they skated with confidence. Hopefully, like Weaver/Poje, they can put that tendency behind them.

vCash
    That's looking very fine for this time of year ( in my doting opinion )

But really , I do think they're off to the races ..can't wait to see it again. Love the rotational lift..wheeeee!

vCash
    I liked that very much. A very good start!

vCash
    Loved the program. Very good twizzles, so much better!! I like the top of the dress but not the skirt, to heavy. Alexandra should give lesson on posture, wow!!

vCash
    I loved this program too Loving most of the short dances I've seen so far.

vCash
    Here's their SD.......I just loved it. They looked like they were really having fun and it was just so full of energy. It looked like they were just flying out there......off to watch it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHrFH4sZFk
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Just got back from a day at Thornhill. Paul & Islam were great!!! It was so nice to see them looking healthy and relaxed. I really like the choreography of the program, and I thought it looked good for this point in the year. Yes, it was lacking a little in speed and power, but we know that P/I tend to build that progressively throughout the season, so I have no doubt they'll be flying by nationals. Most importantly, the Finnstep looked pretty solid. The style really suits them, and I'm loving the new lift. And those twizzles were insane. I've never seen them (or anyone, for that matter) get that close, and they were totally in control. My one complaint (which I never thought I would make about them) was about the costumes. Mitchell looked too casual for something as ritzy as Crazy for You, and the colour of Alexandra's dress washed her out completely. I actually found it a little distracting. That aside, I think they're off to an amazing start!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    That was good, clean skate from them. Like her dress. I think they are in good shape now. The begining look like VM "Funny Face"
    That's what I thought too the moment they started. She even had that Tessa look.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think the color of her dress makes her fade out, but I love the way it moves. That was a lovely skate from them and very confident and fresh. I so love her skating.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Well, that was very lovely. They looked confident and "in the zone". I didn't have a sense of "OMG, are they going to be ok". Their twizzles were amazing. The lift was wonderful, with gorgeous positions. The pattern dance looked really solid, at least from youtube. The step sequence was ok. It might have just been my video and sound sync on youtube, but it didn't have quite the panache of the rest of the dance - perhaps missing some details. I didn't get the clap in the middle of the line, for example.

It it is true that they were not as fast of O/W in BC, but in my mind, that's a great thing. I watched the top Juniors from BC, and O/W, and I don't see anything that can hold a candle to this team. O/W looked sloppy, far apart in the holds, no soft knee action, and they looked like they were skating in a speed contest instead of a dance competition. I also think it is terribly unfortunate that they are skating to "dancing cheek to cheek". It's not a nice cut of the music, and in no way should they want to invite comparisons to Virtue/Moir. I think they should change that part of the music. They would have had their music before Virtue/Moir announced their programs, but I still think O/W should change for their own good. The Juniors are not really faster at all, and they are missing the finesse that P/I bring to ice dance. Frankly, I found many of their programs the same, and therefore rather boring. While I LOVED Edwards/Pang last year SD (my favourite in the Juniors), I was rather underwhelmed this year. Some of these teams are new, and it will take time for them to gel properly, but they all need better/deeper knees, better extensions, better positions and posture, and better flow and general smoothness in their skating. And I'd love to see music choices and choreography that brings out their individual personalities more.

In contrast, Alex's positions, the lightness of the dance, the softness, the precision, the smoothness and flow were all very well done. I'm sure they will add some more details - a hand here, a look there, a sync'd leg movement - throughout the season. They are simply beautiful skaters who have made some great improvements over the off season, and they look really prepared for the upcoming season. I actually do like the costumes. He looks like its 11:30pm and he's tossed the jacket, and he's ready to dance. She looks like she's wearing a take-off on one of the old ballroom dresses you might see in an old movie from the 40's or 50's. The colour adds to the lightness and sweetness of the dance. I think it suits.

I think it is going to be a great year for Paul/Islam.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post

It it is true that they were not as fast of O/W in BC, but in my mind, that's a great thing. I watched the top Juniors from BC, and O/W, and I don't see anything that can hold a candle to this team. O/W looked sloppy, far apart in the holds, no soft knee action, and they looked like they were skating in a speed contest instead of a dance competition...The Juniors are not really faster at all, and they are missing the finesse that P/I bring to ice dance. Frankly, I found many of their programs the same, and therefore rather boring. While I LOVED Edwards/Pang last year SD (my favourite in the Juniors), I was rather underwhelmed this year. Some of these teams are new, and it will take time for them to gel properly, but they all need better/deeper knees, better extensions, better positions and posture, and better flow and general smoothness in their skating. And I'd love to see music choices and choreography that brings out their individual personalities more.
    If you're judging the BC juniors from film, you're not getting the true picture: W/L's top junior teams were flying. Shane Firus and his new partner weren't: they need time still to gel.

Wing/Lowe's programs for their top teams, O/W included, are relentless, although I thought Orford looked lovely and smooth compared to Williams, almost in spite of the frenetic quality of the choreography. Paul/Islam's programs have lilt and ease, and I've found them among the most watchable dance teams for several years. I don't know of another female ice dancer who compares to Paul in this style, Virtue included.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I also think it is terribly unfortunate that they are skating to "dancing cheek to cheek". It's not a nice cut of the music, and in no way should they want to invite comparisons to Virtue/Moir. I think they should change that part of the music.
    At what competitions will they be compared? The only one would likely be Canadians, and even there the effect wouldn't be that significant since O/W would likely be skating earlier.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    It looked really good for this time of the season. Score 61.11 unofficially.

Music (1st part I forgot to write down, but familiar), then Embraceable You, then I've Got Rhythm.

It didn't seem to have quite the speed of some of the junior teams we saw at the BC Summerskate, but it was very good nevertheless. (That difference in apparent speed could also have been due to camera angle). They have a great split rotational lift at the end. Twizzles at the beginning were rock-solid. This should work very well for them, IMO.

ETA: Whenever they skate, I keep waiting for some small disaster to happen, sort of how I used to feel two or three seasons ago with Weaver/Poje. No disaster here; they skated with confidence. Hopefully, like Weaver/Poje, they can put that tendency behind them.
    I feel the same way when they skate because they have had such bad luck and weird falls that your on the edge of your seat waiting for something to go wrong - but watching them live they were so smooth and confident in their skating.. my favourite part with the split rotational lift - that was good.. loved her dress as well - very classy and soft.. I think they will really challenge this year for the 3rd spot..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    You know, I know that particularly in 2011-12, the team struggled to some extent with power and speed given their diminished/challenged training time and Alex's injuries. But I have some trouble with the continuing argument that P/I lack real speed as compared with others in the field. I attended this year's Canadian Nationals, and they were absolutely flying out there at practices and in performance, FD mistake notwithstanding -- their speed was rooted in deep bladework and more power than they'd had prior to Detroit, but they maintained their smoothness and varied their pace as appropriate to the tempo and choreography, rather than moving at just one gear. It may not read as immediately as "speed" the way a more frantic quality of movement might, but they were at least every bit as fast, genuinely fast, as G/P or O/W.

Obviously having just watched the new SD on film, I can't speak to how fast they were moving today, but to my eye they didn't seem at all slow or not fast; their Finnstep in particular looked quite crisp, and that was the best rotational lift they've presented so far. And the program is fantastic. My quibbles right now are just that they'll need to become more comfortable with the projection (which should come with more mileage, and they seemed more at ease as the program progressed), and I'm not quite sold on Alex's dress yet given its pale color. Otherwise, though, looking good.

vCash
    that was wonderful! ♥her dress. the twizzles were crazy. and the placement of the rotational lift made it stunning. love them
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thursday, June 6th perfomance at the Detroit SC show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEKM64L7wD8
    <3 . . . They win points just with me for skating to Peter Gabriel.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Here's their SD.......I just loved it. They looked like they were really having fun and it was just so full of energy. It looked like they were just flying out there......off to watch it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHrFH4sZFk
    I've only watched these two a few times over the past couple of years, but I like them. Dogfight for that 3rd Olympic spot, I think (pending citizenship issues with Gilles/Poirier, although I think they're somewhat overscored).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Thanks for posting the link, clarie! That was enjoyable. Hope they're back on track.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    <3 . . . They win points just with me for skating to Peter Gabriel.

I've only watched these two a few times over the past couple of years, but I like them. Dogfight for that 3rd Olympic spot, I think (pending citizenship issues with Gilles/Poirier, although I think they're somewhat overscored).
    I doubt Gilles & Poirier are a lock for that 3rd spot even if her citizenship comes through.

vCash
    I adore that FD! ..Oh boy! Go, you two..Hope it's posted soon.

The posters that were there might be fainted in the stands..

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast