Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    ITA> I think it's possible that P&I could beat C&P next year.

Who's H&G?

vCash
    Tarrah ( or Tara ? ) Harvey and Keith Gagnon , coached by Wing & Lowe.

vCash
    Oh, thanks! I was getting confused with all the initials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post

Who's H&G?
    It's *possible* that they could beat C/P and W/P but I don't think they will..

vCash

Who's H&G?
    Will P-I will work with Shpilband-Zueva for next season? I mean new programs?
    Dont know... Honestly, Vanessa and Paul have there own face, style, difficult choreo in programs. But made for team, who want skate something unusuall difficult to take higher places? Dont know. I think C-P have very light skating, very easy move across the ice.
    I like P-I too. But i think W-P have huge progress in skting this season too. So i really wish C-P and W-P made team Canada next season - i wish to see there skating at 4CC and at WCh.
    To watch a lot off young teams skating is really greate, but i want to see how they grow up, how they will become better during years.
    But i have also impression, that now ice dance teams from USA will not let to take Canadians high places. They are very talented and Shibs are World medalists now.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Tarrah ( or Tara ? ) Harvey and Keith Gagnon , coached by Wing & Lowe.

Thanks. My brain wasn't working. I'm actually going to see them today in a gala at their rink. I remember their SD from Canadians and they skated sooo close together.

Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Will P-I will work with Shpilband-Zueva for next season? I mean new programs?
    Dont know... Honestly, Vanessa and Paul have there own face, style, difficult choreo in programs. But made for team, who want skate something unusuall difficult to take higher places? Dont know. I think C-P have very light skating, very easy move across the ice.
    I like P-I too. But i think W-P have huge progress in skting this season too. So i really wish C-P and W-P made team Canada next season - i wish to see there skating at 4CC and at WCh.
    To watch a lot off young teams skating is really greate, but i want to see how they grow up, how they will become better during years.
    But i have also impression, that now ice dance teams from USA will not let to take Canadians high places. They are very talented and Shibs are World medalists now.
    I haven't heard a thing about them going to S/Z. I don't think so. They're with a good team, and I think S/Z are just about full up.

I also want W&P and C&P on the world team. I love both. But I also love P&I. Canada should have 4 places!

I don't necessarily think Shibs being bronze this yr means anything for next year. But W&P and C&P, and even P&B will have to step up and take it. Just because Shibs are ahead this year doesn't mean one of the other teams won't be ahead of them next year. K&N anyone? Also P&B will be skating at home next year, and hopefully will have learnt from this year and finally get their bronze medal. And of course I&K will be in the mix too.

vCash
    alilou..In the little article PJ did with David Islam before World's , she was saying that Islam thought it was good for skaters to work with a variety of outside choregraphers , and then she wrote..like Zueva & Shpilband.. So, no-one knows if he actually mentioned their names , or if PJ just arbitrarily used them as an example ( or wanted to tease us ) . If it was him , and Z/S are not doing any choreo for P/I , why wouldn't Islam mention Haguenauer ( sp?), or Dubreuil / Lauzon ,instead.. both of whom they have worked with ? It was a tantalizing comment , but there's a chance PJ just picked their names out of the blue. Only time will tell.

While Zueva has done quite a bit of outside choreo in the other disciplines , I don't think I've heard of her doing dance choreo outside the S/Z school. Has anyone else ?

It's a puzzle.

vCash
    This will be funny, if I-K will go to S-Z and P-I wil do the same.
    So all young stars in the same group

vCash
    Have David Islam and company ever coached a really high-level ice dance team?

I have no doubt that Paul/Islam have the talent to reach a very good level in ice dance. I'm not sure they'll do it with their current coaches, however.

I could be wrong about this, however. Sometimes coaches surprise us with how good they are as coaches once they are working with top-level talent. In other words, the restraint on their coaching success was not their ability as coaches, but that they were working with skaters that were good but not great.

vCash
    I think after seeing P/I live that they have the "it" factor going for them.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I didn't really know a lot about David Islam before,I mean, I knew the Islam family was very involved in skating in Canada but hadn't really paid a lot of attention until I saw video of P/I at World Juniors last year..Here he is :

http://www.skatemariposa.com/staff.php?id=6

I enjoyed the very interesting ( and witty) comments he was texting to the commentators during one of the skatebuzz livestreams last year.. whatever that's worth...

But what I noticed right away with P/I at World Jr's and again this year, was the level of sophistication of their choreo , not only from their outside choreographers, but I was impressed with the work of their "in house" choreographer , Pavol Porac . And there's no denying the technical progress they've made in a short time.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    alilou..In the little article PJ did with David Islam before World's , she was saying that Islam thought it was good for skaters to work with a variety of outside choregraphers , and then she wrote..like Zueva & Shpilband.. So, no-one knows if he actually mentioned their names , or if PJ just arbitrarily used them as an example ( or wanted to tease us ) . If it was him , and Z/S are not doing any choreo for P/I , why wouldn't Islam mention Haguenauer ( sp?), or Dubreuil / Lauzon ,instead.. both of whom they have worked with ? It was a tantalizing comment , but there's a chance PJ just picked their names out of the blue. Only time will tell.

While Zueva has done quite a bit of outside choreo in the other disciplines , I don't think I've heard of her doing dance choreo outside the S/Z school. Has anyone else ?

It's a puzzle.
    Thanks Pratfall. I hadn't heard this. But maybe it would only be for choreo and not a complete move to S/Z school.

I love this team. I saw them live at Canadians this year. They just blew me away. They certainly have that "it" factor.

Re I&K going to S/Z - it's nothing more than a rumour started on this board from an interview with Piseev re Russian coaches only teaching Russian skaters. I think it was a complete misinterpretation of what was said. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...96#post3168796

vCash
    I agree. I don't think it's anything more than speculation based on an intriguing comment...at least for now. I don't rule it out at some point ,since Elena has already been with their school.

For P/I , i'm eagerly anticipating their programs for the coming year.

OT..how did you enjoy the gala you went to ? ( and H/G , who might be a bit under appreciated )

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    See this thread
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78767

I was very impressed with H&G at Canadians, and had also enjoyed them at this same gala last time I went (about 2 yrs ago), but unfortunately yesterday not so much. They seemed shakey, and he fell, and they were quite slow. Just having a bit of an off day I guess. They did have some great lifts, and overall I enjoyed the choreo.

vCash
    I don't necessarily think Shibs being bronze this yr means anything for next year. But W&P and C&P, and even P&B will have to step up and take it. Just because Shibs are ahead this year doesn't mean one of the other teams won't be ahead of them next year. K&N anyone? Also P&B will be skating at home next year, and hopefully will have learnt from this year and finally get their bronze medal. And of course I&K will be in the mix too.
    LOL C&P arent going to win a medal at Worlds last year after being 10th this year. They will be happy just to make it back to Worlds at all next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    LOL C&P arent going to win a medal at Worlds last year after being 10th this year. They will be happy just to make it back to Worlds at all next season.
    ITA.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    ITA.
    What was I thinking I think somehow in there I was getting the battle at Canadians for silver and bronze (W&P, C&P, P&I) mixed up with something I wanted to say in reply to pani's post about Shibs being world medalists now and that could mean that no Cdn teams (apart from V&M) could ever beat them. I'm just confused

vCash
    P/I will probably Be invited to two events as they were ranked 18th in the season's best scores for 2010/2011.

vCash
    In the world of ice dance in Canada, unfortunately P/I will need to spend some time growing, developing and waiting for the top teams to retire. But I think that is actually a very good thing. P/I absolutely must develop their own style. Right now, they look way too much like "V/M lite", which is not good for the long term. It's almost like they did it on purpose! If they did, that was very ill-advised. They have a ton of talent, but just need to "gel" a bit more together and find their own way. And they are still so very young. They need to mature a bit more physically yet. My prediction is that they are a solid 4th in Canada next season.

As for the rest of the field, I really think that V/M will be in a league of their own as long as they compete. And I hope they stick around for awhile, pushing the boundaries of the sport and ensuring 3 spots at Worlds for Canada. I hope they win gold in Sochi.

I think W/P and C/P will continue to battle it out for 2nd place. However, unless C/P address their deficiencies instead of simply behaving like nothing's wrong, they will finish behind W/P consistently. While W/P and C/P have finished really close all season, perhaps that wasn't always right. And W/P finished very convincingly ahead of C/P at Worlds. There is momentum. If W/P continue to work as hard as they have, and choose 2 fabulous programs next year instead of just 1, I think they will find themselves solidly in 2nd in Canada.

As for the rest of the field, it's a little more open. Unless R/H fix things, they are going to drop out of the 5th spot. They are looking like they are stuck in a rut in many ways. There is no real improvement year on year. H/G can be very engaging, but I felt they were over-scored last year. And now that both of them are all grown up, I'm not sure they match physically anymore. They seem to cover this well with humour and engaging programs, and they skate fast, but the lines aren't that good, and I'm just not sold on this team yet. Great people, but perhaps no longer a well-matched team. A/T were 7th this past year, and I think they have a chance to move up, given another year of skating together. Last year was only year #2 as a team, and I think they improved a great deal. They suffer a little from the same physical mis-match as H/G, but not quite as much. I think their technique is so much better than H/G.

And there are always a couple of teams that move up from Junior or just appear suddenly at Senior. I hope there are some nice surpises out of the lower ranked teams. Who is coming that will work hard and surprise us with their presence? Time will tell whether or not the success of O/W will translate to Senior. I personally feel they are a little over-hyped. They were 8th at Junior Worlds, but that perhaps is not high enough to translate well to Senior. We'll see. In my opinion, BC teams generally tend to skate with well developed themes, great costuming and presentation, and with speed and "cute" factor. I think this works well at Pre-Novice, Novice, and a little at Junior. I'm not sure it will work at Senior. The standard for quality edges, clean lines, finished movements, balanced teams, and overall quality skating will be much higher at Senior. I think there are a couple of gems in BC, but they are all so very young, and it is much too early to decide which of them will survive in the long-term, and be able to make the transitions successfully up the ranks.

vCash
    I think that's just it. I wonder if C/P w/ Lane do recognize where they went wrong this season. Because if they don't, than I fully expect P/I to beat them at least once next season. It's definitely do or die time for them.

I'm mixed on P/I. On the one hand, I really dislike the V/M vibe they attempt to recreate. It makes me disregard them as knockoffs. On the other hand, their improvement between World Juniors and Thornhill's Summer skate knocked my socks off. I knew they had a steep learning curve in the 09/10 season, going from not even medalling at the JGP events to winning silver at juniors, but to see it demonstrated as they did was astonishing. I think they could surprise a lot of people next season and challenge C/P, if they improve the way they did and C/P don't improve at all. I think they could have a really terrific SD next season (they do have beauty, line and some charisma/chemistry).

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast