Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I'm just sad that they don't get a chance to showcase their programs in any Grand Prix comps. I guess we'll just have to wait for You Tube vids. .
    They could made this before GP competitions - in Finlandia, Obersdorf

vCash
    pani..You cheer me up ...

doris... I'm hoping they'll get out there early and often. And I completely agree about the Canadian summer competitions .
    I'd love it if they , C/S and O/W all were at lake placid....But do I seem to remember that not much video makes it way out of there ?...maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-27-2012 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    It varies. At least one year you could get streaming video from lpidc
    Another year you could buy a Dvd of it

Or you could just go...

vCash
    Oh , doris, I hope you get to go. It would be out of the question for me...but I could look forward to your perspective, if you went.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I have no confidence in them being judged fairly, or any other Canadian dancers other than V&M and G&P, and just perhaps W&P, in Canadian competitions this season, since the Canadian Nationals judging was so AFU'd.
    Yes, there was some criticism of the dance judging at Nationals last year - at that particular competition, it seemed that V/M were judged somewhat harshly (although the harsh calls from the tech panel probably caused them to work extremely hard on their levels and likely helped them get those levels at 4CC and Worlds), W/P seemed reasonably treated as I recall, G/P had skyhigh marks, R/H and P/I had it rough. But I don't think it was AFU'd - the only real shocker was G/P's results, IMO. This isn't the right thread to go into that! (Although if Dean brings it with the choreo again this season, and they nail their GP performances, I think the international judges will love them - we'll see soon enough.)

Personally, I love the line, posture and unison that P/I show, but they were probably unfortunate to be "low man on the totem pole" in a very deep Canadian ice dance field, not having qualified for any guaranteed GP's. I'm still wondering whether there was a way under the new rules to get Gilles/Poirier two GP's, R/H and O/W each their guaranteed spot, and still leave an SC spot for P/I. Maybe with the GP slot limitations, that wasn't possible, because surely SC would have done so if possible. (It's hard to imagine any reason for not doing so, unless it simply couldn't be negotiated in view of those other constraints.) Hope they get Nebelhorn or Finlandia.
    Last edited by flowerpower; 05-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.

vCash

doris' assessment is right on the money , IMO.

Splitting the competition was bad for the whole competition since all the skaters were not seen in the same time and place. That's not one competition , it's two. ( G/P's early outlandishly high marks in the SD ensured that they would be in the last group , or second competition )

You're right , flowerpower ,this isn't the proper thread for a full discussion of that abominable competition ...but anyone who takes a look at the stats ( now and in the future) , would get a very false impression of the quality shown by G/P relative to all the other skaters. ( Therefore , AFUd )

Because this is P/I's thread ( although they were not the only couple consequently cast in a bad light ) I'm sticking to the detrimental effect on them ..

In spite of their considerable quality , P/I are denied any chance at a host pick , because SC wanted 2 slots for G/P .. the supposed justification being the results Paul achieved with Vanessa , and the aforementioned egregious overmarking. This doesn't convince me they deserved 2 slots .

However, P/I have to contend with the hand they were dealt ( poor as it is ) and I think the move to DSC is an excellent choice on their part in trying to improve their situation . They'll just have to hone their skills and build international cred to such a level that they simply cannot be denied .
    Last edited by Pratfall; 05-28-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: clarification; addition

vCash
    This is totally random, but I was just watching a movie called Breakaway (it's a Canadian film from 2011 about hockey, and it had Russell Peters the Canadian comedian in it), and I think P/I were body doubles in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakaway_(2011_film)

There's a section in the movie where they have a dream sequence that takes place on the ice, and the two main characters dance together. The pair does ice dance moves, including a spin and a straight line lift, both of which were right out of P/I's Casablanca FD. The film was shot in Toronto, so it wouldn't be surprising if they used local skaters. It's that really pretty one that they used in this year's SD as well, there he flings her around his neck and then they lean away from each other. That one's pretty distinctive to them. Also, the dream sequence featured four other girls, who were, as far as I could tell, Tugba Karademir (a former Turkish national champ who competed in Vancouver 2010), Carolyn MacCuish (a Canadian pairs and ice dance skater), Rachel Kirkland (another Canadian pairs skater, former partner of Eric Radford), and Siobhan Karam (who was a nationally ranked ice dander with Joshua McGrath for many years), all of whom train or trained at Mariposa. Unfortunately, the credits don't list the names of any of the skaters used in the movie, so I'm not sure if any of these skaters were actually in it or if I'm just seeing things lol. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen the film and had the same impression.

vCash
    Yep, it's them. When I saw the film, I believe I did see them and the other skaters credited at the end (albeit late in the credits, and in a long list of all dancers) -- though I may have also been forcing my eyes to see things; I did watch on a computer screen. Mitch was also promoting the film quite a bit via social media some months ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Yep, it's them. When I saw the film, I believe I did see them and the other skaters credited at the end (albeit late in the credits, and in a long list of all dancers) -- though I may have also been forcing my eyes to see things; I did watch on a computer screen. Mitch was also promoting the film quite a bit via social media some months ago.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I was so excited when I realized it was them, and then my friend pointed out to me how scary it was that I could identify skates by one move. I'm glad I can post here where my obsession is understood lol.

vCash
    I can't help it , I love this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5AIp...feature=relmfu

I expect they'll use some of the more sweeping , romantic ones , though, and I don't know how it would fit..still...

( It sent me off on a Youtube Jelly Roll Morton Binge.)
    Last edited by Pratfall; 06-13-2012 at 06:44 AM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=skatingfan04;3590934]This is totally random, but I was just watching a movie called Breakaway (it's a Canadian film from 2011 about hockey, and it had Russell Peters the Canadian comedian in it), and I think P/I were body doubles in it.

Really nice opportunity for those skaters in the film. Experiencing the production side of performing must have provided them with some valuable learning, thinking about what images are being sought for, how to prepare and present. Not the same as live competition or performance, but still must have been a very cool experience.

vCash
    Thanks, skatingfan04. It is so much fun trying to figure out which pieces they will use. I have been doing that ever since pani told us they are using this soundtrack. I'm very excited for this FD as well

Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    I can't help it , I love this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5AIp...feature=relmfu

I expect they'll use some of the more sweeping , romantic ones , though, and I don't know how it would fit..still...

( It sent me off on a Youtube Jelly Roll Morton Binge.)
    That one stood out to me as well

vCash
    I hope they skate to the "sweeping" bits, perhaps with some playfulness of the Jelly Roll Morton thrown in to break it up........Think?
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    There's no doubt there's a lot to work with in this score .. I wonder if Chouinard the Magician will be cutting their music ?.. ( I think I have the right guy ). If anyone could work "the Crave " in seamlessly it would probably be him...I'm guessing the finale would be that cut of the main theme with the little Gershwin-y bit at the end ?

Do we know who's doing their choreography , yet ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    There's no doubt there's a lot to work with in this score .. I wonder if Chouinard the Magician will be cutting their music ?.. ( I think I have the right guy ). If anyone could work "the Crave " in seamlessly it would probably be him...I'm guessing the finale would be that cut of the main theme with the little Gershwin-y bit at the end ?

Do we know who's doing their choreography , yet ?

Yup, that's one one. Hugo Chouinard from Quebec is a real genious when it comes to arranging music for skaters. I don't think this is a hard and fast rule, but I believe most skaters working with Davis Wilson and Lori Nichol (basically hlf the world) tend to get their music cut by him. I hope it's him who does P/I's music. Their FD's have always been beautifully cut in the past, but since there are so many songs in this score this one might be more complicated, depending on how many they use.

vCash
    http://skatecanada.ca/Profile/tabid/...&strlanguage=E

More good news, it seems. P/I's SC profile has been updated, and states that their SD will be choreographed by Kelly Jhonson and their FD by Pasquale and Anjelika!!! I was hoping Carmelengo would be the one to create the FD for them, since the music is gorgeous and his work for W/P and the others the past few years has been sublime. Also, their traning location is now listed as Mariposa/DSC, which seems to suggest that their summer in Detroit may have turned to a more permanent arrangement. Just thought I would share!

vCash
    Thanks, skatingfan04! I am so excited about this! I really enjoy their work and wonder what they will come up with for Alex and Mitch. I am glad they are still working with Kelly Johnson, as I thought she and David Wilson did a beautiful job on their FD last year. I hope they do a classical waltz/polka for their SD next year.

vCash
    Oh joy , oh bliss ! Well , I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the more permanent arrangement implication is is real. YAY!

vCash
    A Summer of Change for Paul & Islam
    http://ice-dance.com/news/general-ar...for-paul-islam

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast